Charles Bonnet and dementia

maryw

Nov 16, 2008
Surrey
My mother had dry AMD in both eyes and developed Charles Bonnet hallucinations - she saw shrubs on her dinner plate and Christmas trees around the walls. As she subsequently developed confusion and showed all the symptoms of dementia in her later years, even though not formally diagnosed, I just wondered if there was an underlying health link/connection in the elderly? Are they more at risk of developing dementia if they have these hallucations?

Last edited:

suzanne

Jul 25, 2006
wiltshire
Charles Bonnet

My mother has this syndrome but it is a chicken and egg situation of which came first, I cannot say, the demntia is more pronounced at night and the hallucinations are more during the day so it is lose lose scenario for us but those blessed men that climb on the ceiling every day are getting on her nerves!:)we explain away the halucinations in simple terms, the brain is compensating for the lack of eyesight and she accepts this, up until 10 yrs ago mum was hale and hearty, and only had mild ARMD but now she is registered blind and seeing lots of little people, the trickcyclist wanted to medicate her for psychosis but we wouldn't let him, rather the little people than a comatose mum!

Angela66

May 29, 2009
Scotland
I have never heard of Charles Bonnet hallucinations until now but my mum seems to suffer from hallucinations or could it be delusions? I'm not quite sure what the difference is? Maybe someone could enlighten me.

Anyway, my mum refuses to eat sometimes saying, "She hasn't got a body" and quite regularly shouts out "I'm not here" and "I'm not alive" "I shouldnt have been born".

She also looks out the window in hospital and says its very dark and she cant see anything outside. Even when surrounded by people in hospital or when we take her out for the day she still says, "there is nobody here" when there are clearly folk around. She believes she is the only patient in the hospital and says "The hospital is closing down" Also when we visit she says "You have to get out now, you will never get out of here. The doors are locked and you will never get out"

She gets so distressed and I feel so bad because all I can do is agree with her because if I dont she gets more agititated and worked up. I'm not sure the best way to handle these outbursts.