update on mum

shelley

Mar 29, 2009
hi Ive just got back from a lovely week with my family in devon.
I needed to get away every thing was about mum and my own family were suffering.
I went to see mum today i cant belive the detereation in just one week.
Mums eyes were so dull there was no expresion there whatsoever,she looked stright through me.
Mum walked with a shuffle today,she couldnt stay still,she has so much energy,she was up and down every minute,looking for something,but she didnt know what.
Mum talked in riddles today i didnt understand.
Mum was slavering and i had to keep wiping her mouth.
Mums partner said she had been taking her clothes off in public and he was scared of taking her out.
Whatevers happening it seems to be happening quick its only 12 month since she was diagnosed,
I belive that there are 3 stages to alzihmers ,im not sure which one my mums at ,however i have never known a person to detereate so fast,i understand that there is no cure and mum will get worse,however i did expect her to stay the same for a while,it seems to be worse every week.

penguin629

Nov 9, 2008
Shropshire
hi

Hi Shelley

I'm glad you had a lovely holiday. It's important to get away and recharge your batteries. When is the next holiday?

I'm sorry your mum has deteriorated. It's always whilst we're away that they seem to go downhill.

It seems to me that the younger people deteriorate quicker than older people (eg, those in the 80s) my Dad certainly has! (he's 65) and compared to the other people in his home, it's almost as if he has a variant of AD. It's affected him so differently to them. Very weird.

Is your Mum on any medication? What sort of help does she get in terms of stimulation? It's a very cruel disease. I'm only now realising the true extent as my Dad travels further down the line. He has days where he looks straight through us and, then there are days when he knows my Mum and calls her by her name! Those are the times when we smile and I'm sure you'll get those days when your Mum is much brighter.

Joanne

TinaT

Sep 27, 2006
Costa Blanca Spain
Hi,

My husband made a massive dive down about four/five years ago into the kind of state which you have decribed so well about your mum in. Since then the decline has been much slower. He is now aged 66.

I would ask what medication your mum was on whilst in the home. They should have a weekly sheet of all her meds and when each day they were given. It is always wise to check such things.

xcxTinaT

shelley

Mar 29, 2009
thanks

hi thanks for your replys ,i dont know what id do if i hadnt found talking point,it helps so much knowing that there are other people going throgh the same heart ache.
mum is just 70 and shes still at home with her partner ,however she goes to day care 6 days a week 9-5 and has 2 weeks restbite in a residencal home when it gets to much for her partner.
Mums on aricept,as well as diazapan and various other tablets for high blood pres and colestral.:confused: