Mini Mentall State Examinations

betty2

Jun 14, 2004
If this is successful there should be attached a copy of the mini Mental state Examination test.

This test is generally used to screen and asses the degree of cognitive function in patients.

I would like to suggest that this infomration is used with caution and that from my experince, some aspects of the test are adpated from consultant to consultant. some consultants may use addtional material or adapt the core material.

The test is usually used as part of a more holistic examination and should not be used in isolation.

However, since it seems to be the test which most of us hang our hopes on and will our loved ones through ,I thought people may find it of interest.

I have joked before that this is our favourite dinnertime game, particularly since my family and i regularly get the date wrong and fail miserably on the 'remember 3 objects' parts . My dad does stunningly well on some days and appallingly on others.

I suppose what I am trying to say is that it is not possible to learn the answers, however much I will him too.unfortunately i've learnt alzheimers doesnt work like that.

let me know what you think.

regards

betty

Attachments

• the mini mental state examination.zip
    3.5 KB · Views: 1,195

Norman

Oct 9, 2003
Birmingham Hades
Betty
it downloaded fine.
It looks very familiar to me I have heard it many times so far.
I find it very stressful sitting in on the test,willing them to get the answers right ,to do well,and whe my wife looks at me for help and I can't give it it cracks me up.
She has done well so far with the consultant,he is a nice man and she likes him.
There was one time when she saw a lady psychologist and half way through the test my wife informed her that she did not intend to answer any more of the silly questions and that was the end of that
Best Wishes
Norman

John Bottomley

Apr 7, 2004
MMSE

Betty, remember that the final score ain't everything, though.

If you took a test and scored 84% one week, 83% another week and 85% another week, would you be worried that your mind was changing and you were struggling/getting cleverer week on week? Nope, and rightly so . . . every test has cut offs to allow for a bit of variability from having a 'bad day' or changes from the million and one different things that affect how we all perform on a test on any given day.

For the mini mental state examination (MMSE) test, the variability for most of the score falls over a couple points. That is, a score of 24, then 22 is essentially the same. Likewise, a score of 24 then 26 is the largely the same. For a meaningful (or for the pedantic, a statistically significant) change, you need to see a change of 3 or more points.

Seeing minor fluctatuations of a point or two isn't a cause of worry - it's part of real life with good days and bad days!

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Thanks Betty - I've seen this in various forms but this is simple and straightforward - very helpful. I'll try not to put my other half through too many pre tests before we go again in October!

Iz

betty2

Jun 14, 2004
Hi john

Thanks for highlighting the point. I agree that they are not everything, as i say, they should be looked at as part of a holistic assessment and will differ from day to day, which is why i suggested it should be used with caution (and not used as definative assessment)

For me its about having as much knowledge and information as possible and being prepared for what can seem to be wizardary . often in the early stages it is difficult to take on board, what seems to be incomprehensible tests and processes.

But you are right to be cautious sometimes a little knowledge is dangerous!

betty

ps does anyone know how to spell check when posting on this site?

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
A spell check would be great, but one of the key things about the forum is that people at the end of their tether can just sign on and splurge out their worries and feelings.

The last thing they are concerned about, exhausted at half past midnight, is whether there's a double 't' in a certain word.

Sometimes to do be able to dump out something [anything!], even if with rather unique spelling and punctuation, is more important than writing a correct chunk of prose.

[and I'm the one who picks out all the bad spelling and incorrect English usage on the BBC, and wails to all and sundry! There are times for doing that, and there are times not to do that....] :eek:

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
No, it was a good suggestion, because my fingers tend to run several steps ahead of my brain, and I also reverse letters, so of all people, I probably need a spell checker the most!

I was just concerned that we ensure that those in dire need aren't hampered by additional complexity....:)

Norman

Oct 9, 2003
Birmingham Hades
Betty
when I use a site without a spell check available I have a word power card,it is a SEIKO wp 2000.
I find it very useful
regards
Norman

Chris

May 20, 2003
Reversing letters on a keyboard

Originally posted by Brucie
I also reverse letters

I do this a lot - it was really worrying me (as Mum has dementia) - but then I noticed a lot of people - some in high powered jobs emailing me - they all do it !!!!

Why does it happen when using a computer keyboard and not when typing on an old fashioned typewriter or when hand writing? Probably a simple explanation !!!

Chris

Jude

Dec 11, 2003
Tully, Qld, Australia
I used to be able to type at 100 and something words per minute on an old typewriter without a single mistake. It's spell checks that make us a bit lazy probably. Also, as has been suggested, the fact that we are dying to get the information down so quickly that we end up typing much faster than our brain can relate the facts to our fingertips. Don't worry about it. Just call it a tripewriter instead of a typewriter....!

Jude