Worth a Watch: HBO Documentary

jc141265

Sep 16, 2005
Australia
Is everyone aware of the documentary aired in the U.S.A. this week called 'The Alzheimer's Project'? If you aren't its really worth a watch, although it had me howling in some parts. There are four parts to the series:

1. The Memory Tapes - Looks at several people with the diagnosis

Extremely and progressively moving video that brought me not just to tears, but to howling tears. There were so many echoes of my father, seeing and talking to people in mirrors, wandering room to room (at least now thanks to Woody, I might now be able to guess at what my father was thinking when he was doing that – ‘Nope, nobody here…’) and those extraordinarily wonderful yet extremely painful moments when they ‘come back’ and you have them again for that moment.

I was also very impressed with the care homes they showed, is that how all care homes are in the United States or is were these just those that the more affluent can afford?

2. Grandpa Do You Know Who I am? - Looks at how children cope

Again I was in tears, hearing many of my own thoughts expressed in the words of children, it still hurts even when you are an adult. I’d recommend this to anyone who has children who are dealing with a family member who has dementia as it may answer some of their questions and help them to see other children feeling the same emotions. However, I would recommend that parents watch it themselves first, so that they can identify areas in the film where they might want to add in their own comments when their children watch it. One comment that would apply to my family, and probably to others, is that although Alzheimer’s might affect the memory, not all people diagnosed with Alzheimer’s disease completely forget who their family members are.

3. Momentum in Science (+ Supplementary Series) - All about Alzheimer's Research

Very informative. This video looks at the many different areas that scientists are researching in, in the hopes that they can either prevent, slow down or cure the disease. If you are new to the disease this will help you understand the background to a lot of the news stories posted on here. If you have been reading about the research for years like myself, this video can get a little boring however, and you may find that the supplementary series is more what you are looking for.

4. Caregivers - Looks at the stories of different caregivers at different stages of the disease

A touching portrayal of caregiving during different stages of the disease. It wasn't too teary because for the most part the caregivers depicted were so strong, no doubt because they had to learn to be. There was also a bit of a message of hope towards the end and I think the important things to take from this film is to always try to live in the moment when you are dealing with dementia causing condition, and look after yourself because you are no use to your loved one if you get sick. I particularly identified with what one of the caregivers said, that the moments you can make them happy even in last stages, make it all worth it.
The quotes about each episode above are from a review I did on the series on my blog when I posted the videos there (if you want the web address message me as I am not allowed to post it here).

But here is the web address for the HBO site where you can download the videos yourself (I am allowed to post this address)

http://www.hbo.com/alzheimers/the-films.html

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
Thanks Nat, for flagging that up again, as I must of somehow miss that other thread that had already been posted about it.

Last edited:

McK

Sep 13, 2005
Pgh. Pa. USA
Alzheimers Project

Thanks for your comments. My wife, Barb, was part of the original Pittsburgh Project, some 13 years ago, where they injected radioactive dye into her brain and traced the path of the dye in the brain that showed which part of the brain was affected. I watched the series also, but I thought it was well done, and brought back so many memories, but I wished they would have done a segment on early onset AD. Again, thanks for your comments. I always enjoy reading them - MvK

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pescobar