On A Day Like Today

Norrms

Feb 19, 2009
Torquay Devon
On A Day
Like Today

After the week’s turmoil of one thing and then another, Elaine decided to take me away from it all for a drive over Dartmoor way and beyond. We stopped at what I call “Devon’s Best Kept Secret” which is a smallish Nursery called “Hillside Nurseries” The sun was just breaking through the clouds and all was well with the world. This is when I come into my own and I can spend hours at places like this. It was busy but not too much so it was a distraction for me. Many years ago I saw an Aquilegia called Bluebird and it captured my heart but I have never seen it since, until today.
I couldn’t believe my eyes! There was my dream plant right in front of me and for only £1-85 for a 2 litre pot!! Well, in truth there were three so I snapped them up and bought them before anybody else could!!LOL I was so happy i could have cried, silly I know but true. From there we went to Buckfast Abbey for a Sunday lunch, then onto Widdecombe to enjoy the peace and quiet. We stopped on top of the hill that looks down on Widdecombe village and got out of the car to sit a while. As I did this my mind started to wander and as I looked up at the now clear blue sky with a gentle easterly wind brushing my face i found myself asking WHY WHY WHY!
I was born a catholic and as they say will always be a catholic but after i was told i had Heart failure in my early forties when everything was going so well it made me question my faith. Then to be told i had AD at 51yrs of age i nearly became an Atheist!! LOL. As i stared up to the heavens i half expected the big Fella to pop his head out and give me a reason why? But sadly this was not the case. Unknown to me Elaine had been trying to get my attention for the last five minutes and when she eventually did i felt a bump in my back. As i turned round it was one of the wild Dartmoor ponies pushing its nose into the small of my back as if pushing me on. Was this the Big Fella telling me to push on and don’t give up? It was certainly a strange thing to happen as they are not usually that tame and it also let me stroke it for ages after.
When eventually we got back in the car i told Elaine what i had been thinking and it wasn’t long before we were both in floods of tears, but happy tears.
After all, On A Day Like This, anything could happen, couldn’t it?
Best wishes, Norrms and family

TinaT

Sep 27, 2006
Costa Blanca Spain
What a lovely day out you two! Hope you show us a picture of your new pot plants as I would love to see what they look like.

I would call your moment a small spiritual epiphany. They don't happen very often at all, but what peace they give. I could do with one myself.

xxTinaT

sad nell

Mar 21, 2008
bradford west yorkshire
Norrms that was a lovely story , may i join in with the happy tears, i am also longing to see your favourite plant, it is strange when these things occur and i think they happen for a reason, expect you will remember the little pony for ever, The names of places you visit bring back chidhood memories for me,I must have been about 10 when we holidayed in Devon, so must have made a good impression on me ,thats 48 years ago now, love to you both and glad after a stressfull week you have enjoyed today

sad nell

Mar 21, 2008
bradford west yorkshire
i will be digging a hole to plant one tomorrow it is beautiful, are they difficult to obtain and how do i look after it. perhaps you could post in garden section for me Normms

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
That flower is beautiful.

I love aquilegia, but I've never seen that one. I'll have to look out.

They're not hard to grow, Pam, but the trouble is, they seed like mad, and if you have one you particularly like, you have to keep it well away from others, as they cross-pollinate.

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
Hi Norrms

Well you've just reduced me to tears. What with the poem that Sam posted and then immediately after that reading your story - I am a wreck:) These spiritual moments are very important I think and I am so pleased that you were touched today:)

I love aquilegias and that one would certainly enhance my garden;) We will all be expecting bags of seed from you in the autumn:p

Love to both of you

Margaret W

Apr 28, 2007
North Derbyshire
Dear Norms, don't these things just get to you at the time? So pleased you had a lovely day. Yep, once a Catholic, always a Catholic, that's me too. I brought up my girls as Catholics (after a 10-year lapse myself), neither of them are active Catholics now (aged 29 and 26), nor am I, but every now and then I think I might like to return. That said, my girls are both good women, responsible, kind, thoughtful, something must have gone right along the way.

Who knows why you had such a good day. Luck? Fancy? or God giving you a break? I am open to all these possibilities. May you have many more lovely days like this.

Love

Margaret

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
Second attempt. - lost first one.............

Hi Norms, thank you for your uplifting post. Brought back many happy memories of that area for me as well.

Dont know your particulat Aquilegia, but it sure is a beauty.

if you have one you particularly like, you have to keep it well away from others, as they cross-pollinate.
Hazel I never knew that. Perhaps that would explain a white one I found growing this week, when I had only planted pink and blue ones.:confused:

100_1237.jpg

100_1239.jpg

100_1238.jpg

Vonny

Feb 3, 2009
Telford
Thanks Sylvia and Connie

These are my favourite flowers and I had loads of them at my last house in my wild garden section of the garden.

I did mean to plant some when I moved and never got around to it...I'm now inspired to go and get some :)

Norms, I shall tell my dad about your experience. As a former chapel goer with simple but steadfast faith, he has recently been declaring "there can't be a God" when mum is having a dreadful day. Thank you for sharing a very special moment.

Vonny xxx

Norrms

Feb 19, 2009
Torquay Devon
thank you so much all, its good to share these special moments with special friends, and the pictures of the different columbines ( I have trouble spelling the other name !! LOL ) are wonderful. Helen and anybody else if you would like sme seeds please let me know, you are very welcome. best wishes, Norrms and family

Lynne

Jun 3, 2005
Suffolk,England
Norrms

Thank you for sharing your lovely day - may there be many more as the summer unfolds.

:rolleyes: Someone you know?

Attachments

• dartmoor ponies.jpg
    dartmoor ponies.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 202

TinaT

Sep 27, 2006
Costa Blanca Spain
I've got lots of wild yellow ones and a sprinkling of orange. Would they also be columbines? They must all be self seeding from somewhere or another!

xxTinaT

Norrms

Feb 19, 2009
Torquay Devon
Yes!! Quite possibly, it could be because they have cross bread, just think, you might be the only one in the world with that colour !!! How good would that be ?? Norrms and famly xx