Mama mia, here I go again!!

Sheila

Oct 23, 2003
West Sussex
Hi! Have been out of circulation for a while, but I did still peek in now and again. Today things have changed. We have moved M in L (Mum in law) to ours. She is 90, has dementia,just started wandering at night and today was aggressive to other residents in her sheltered housing block.(Aagh!)We had to do the same for my own late Mum, she sadly passed away a few years ago. So, here we go again it seems. I shall get in touch with M in L's GP tomorrow to see if maybe she has a UTI or bowel problem that could account for the behaviour problems the past day and a bit, but I have a feeling it is the illness in general taking another chunk of her poor love. My own Mum used to get a bit twitchy a few days before she had a TIA so I am thinking along those lines a bit too. There are so many on TP now, I am pretty rusty and this new set up is all Greek to me, so please be patient with me. Love to all my old friends, She.XX

TinaT

Sep 27, 2006
Costa Blanca Spain
The new set up is a little bit of a greek puzzle to me too! People have sent a message to be friends - I tick the box yes, and then they disappear!!! What a chump I am with anything new like this.

I hope that all goes well for you and your new arrangements with MIL. You are one very caring, lovely lady.

xxTinaT

imac.girll1

Feb 20, 2009
Glasgow
Welcome Back Sheila

Well as a newbie as such on TP but an old hand with Dementia, it does seem to go in roundabouts a bit doesnt it.

Just thought i would welcome you back into the 'fold' and hope that we are all just the same as you left us the last time.

Big hugs to you and your family.

iMac x:)

Sheila

Oct 23, 2003
West Sussex
golly didn't expect such an instant response! Thanks for the welcome guys! Have just taken M in L up to bed, got to go back in a bit. Explained stair gate as being for the kids, it is partly, but we installed it when my Mum was here. (I've covered the catch with the rug I have just hooked up off the floor in case she falls, - my mum, we had to padlock the darn thing in the end!) We have steep stairs with a stair lift and a tumble down them is not on my itinery! She has accepted it, but I forgot to set up the baby alarm darn it, never mind, we shall overcome tra la! Love She. XX

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
Hello Sheila

Looking forward to seeing you around. You sound a very experienced carer and your m-i-l is very fortunate to have you:)

Love

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
Hello Sheila:

Not sure if I knew you earlier but good to hear from you anyway.

please be patient with me

In the next world (?) I think we will all be called Patience!! - we have earned it.

I hope you get your MIL sorted soon - do you have plenty of support? (Which part of West Sussex are you from - our married life started down there :):)).

Love Jan

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
Hello Sheila!

Glad to see you back. I was thinking about you a few weeks ago, wondering how things had turned out for you.

Your posts were always insightful and kind. Welcome back.

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
Dear Sheila, it only seems like yesterday that you were caring for your own dear mum, then I realised just how much time had passed.

OK, so you did not set baby alarm, but you seem to have covered everything else, so well done.

You are such a warm, compassionate, caring lady that I was not surprised to read that you had removed MIL from her sheltered housing to bring her into the family home.

Please let us know how things go. Love to you and the family.

Vonny

Feb 3, 2009
Telford
Hi Shiela,

I didn't know you when you were caring for your mum as I only joined recently when my mum went so badly downhill.

It sounds from the "old hands" on here (sorry folks, I mean experienced, not old ;):)) that you are very welcome back.

Best of luck to you and you MIL, I'm sure we'll speak again soon :)

Vonny xx

Sheila

Oct 23, 2003
West Sussex
Hi again, finally got some me time! Everyone else in bed. Connie and some of you will no doubt remember my twilight rantings I think:)! M in L now on antibiotics. I rang surgery at 9.10am and explained scenario, rang again at 11.30 and was told GP was looking at notes now. Waited till 2.30pm and rang again. (one of those stupid prime costs numbers of course!)Finally told script for antibiotics was there for her,just based on my query of could it be this or that or the other. Hey ho! Hope tomorrow is a good day for all of you, lotsaluv, She. XX

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello Sheila

I also feel I should know you but, although I recognize your name, perhaps I was too wrapped up in my own needs when you were here before.
I`m sorry you`re having to face a second experience of dementia. It`s the same for me.......first my mother and now my husband.
Even though their conditions and behaviours were/are so different, I do feel the first experience prepared me for the second.
Wishing you well xx

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
You certainly haven't changed Sheila, still trying to keep on top of everything.

All wrong that we have to chase doctors etc., especially when they use premium rate numbers. (Thought that was going to be stopped:confused:)

Do hope that your dear MIL recovers quickly from whatever infection she is fighting. Take care now, love n'hugs

Sheila

Oct 23, 2003
West Sussex
Hi all, M in L much improved and now running rings round us as per usual!! It is lovely to hear from you all again, I shall try to read up (slowly) on how you all are doing so I am back on board so to speak, but my own health is not great and there are other issues so it will take ages as TPis now so big. Like Topsy, we've growed!! Off to sort out lunch now. Hope you all have a good day and the strength to cope with whatever it brings. Luv She. XX

Sheila

Oct 23, 2003
West Sussex
Hi, have a cold, caught from one of the young Mums in our family and now we all have it yuch! M in L is much improved, but tonight decided she didn't want to take her diabetes tablet etc. Was persuaded to in the end, but she said she didn't really care if not taking them made her ill as she "was ready to go". I think she has quite a bit of insight into her situation and is not happy about it, but what can you do? She knows she is loved, but she also knows she is not "quite right" I think it is getting to her a bit. This is such a cruel illness, all you can do is give them a cuddle, you can't magic a memory can you. Love She. XX

Margaret W

Apr 28, 2007
North Derbyshire
Hi Sheila

I don't remember you from earlier, but you sound like one really on-the-ball lady. What a lucky person your MIL is. I'm a bit intermittent on here since mum died, but hope I still have something to offer. Sounds like you have it all under control (been there, done that, got the t-shirt), but hope we can all help when needed.

Love

Margaret

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
Sheila love, look after yourself with that cold - echinachea works for me.

This is such a cruel illness, all you can do is give them a cuddle, you can't magic a memory can you.

Wise words and so true. Take care now. Love n'hugs