Contribution towards nursing home fees

SharonLyons

Dec 10, 2006
Ilford, Essex
I haven't posted for a while as mum went into a care home last year and seemed to settle reasonably well. However she is increasingly refusing help with personal care and also more often than not refuses to take her medication. The care home she is in together with sw and cpn have decided that she would be better placed in a nursing home. Obviously I am sad about this but I do believe it will be in her best interests and also those of the staff as she can become quite violent. The sw said that as it is a nursing home mum wouldn't have to make any contributions out of her pension as she is now. Does this mean that she won't receive any pension. She also receives pension credit at the moment so I am sure that that will stop.

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
I'm not sure what the social worker is talking about. It almost sounds like she is saying that your mother would be eligible for NHS continuing care, but it's not up to the social worker to make that determination. I assume from what you say your mother is LA assisted since they take most of her pension. It makes no difference whether she's in a residential or nursing home - if she's not eligible for NHS CC the same system applies. This is not to say that your mother may not be eligible, just that until the assessment is done there is no way to know that. Honestly? I suspect the SW doesn't know what she's talking about..

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Oh yes, it does, most certainly. I don't know about her pension credit but if she receives CC then she will keep all her pension. Essentially it's as if she were in hospital - what she would keep then, she will keep now.

SharonLyons

Dec 10, 2006
Ilford, Essex
Hi Mark,
No she doesn't get attendance allowance, that stopped when she went into the care home. I was surprised that she carried on receiving pension credit to be honest.
Thanks for your reply.
Sharon

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
It is odd, the benefit system. As your mother was being supported by the LA I reakised that AA wouldn't be applicable, but for all I know, pension credit will continue. It seems to be down to the "pot" the money come out of. This page has some information http://www.helptheaged.org.uk/en-gb...es/GoingIntoHospital/as_goinghos_180106_2.htm but it's rather full of "perhaps" "possibly" and "maybe" for a definitive answer. It would appear that your mother may well keep that pension credit if it was designed to bring her up to the minimum (on that page that's £124.05).

Edited to add - I found some information here that indicates that pension credit, if it's not being given based on receiving AA or DLA will continue even after NHS CC is awarded http://www.plymouthpct.nhs.uk/Corpo...ress for Retrospective NHS funded CHC _3_.pdf I realise it's not your PCT but the principle is the same.

Last edited: