coming off aricept

x-lauren-x

Mar 6, 2007
Hiya
My uncles psyhciatrist has suggested that he is no longer ' in the category' for receiveing Aricept as he does not beleive it will benefit him further now the dementia is progressing into he later stages. He has had a mini mental test and scored reasonably according to the nurse on duty, the psychiatrist is goign to compare his results to see when is a good time to take my uncle off the drug. I'm worried that originally, he was very violent and aggressive- if this is the dementia slowing drug will he suddenly become much worse? does anybody know anymore about this or what happens next? We don't have any expereince of this so are a bit lost . It was suggested that the drug was too expensive to provide if its not definatley successful- this breaks my heart that money and budgets could be preventing the treatment my uncle needs.
thank you, sorry for such a jumbled post, im not really sure whats going on, everything is happening so quickly again i just wondered if anyone else has been through a similar situation?
thanks xxxx
xx

Sandy

Mar 23, 2005
Hi Lauren,

I don't have any first-hand experience of this as my MIL has only been on Aricept for a year and there is no talk of taking her off it.

I'm not sure how much research has been done on this, but my understanding that, perhaps in ways that tests like the MMSE doesn't measure (like social skills and activities of daily living), Aricept allows people to function at a higher level than they would do without it.

Here is one link from a news story on the Alzheimer's Society's website:

http://www.alzheimers.org.uk/site/scripts/news_article.php?newsID=168

it is commenting on some research reported in the Lancet which you can read a summary of here:

http://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(06)68350-5/abstract

That research is three years old now, so perhaps there are other, more recent studies to back it up.

Take care,

Sandy

x-lauren-x

Mar 6, 2007
hi sandy
thank you for the information links- ill have a read through now- it will be good to have more of an idea of what we are dealing with or what normal procedure is! Thanks again for all your help, will keep you updated :)
hope you're well
lots of luv xxxx

christine_batch

Jul 31, 2007
Buckinghamshire
Hi Lauren,

Peter's Consultant kept him on Aricept until the last stage when he was unable to swollow anything.

It is a worry when finances come into it.

Take care
Christine xx

simonmonty

Nov 22, 2008
Yorkshire
Aricept ...How to check if its working

The makers of aricept say the only way of knowing if aricept is working is to stop it and monitor for deterioration. If you see deterioration then its working if no deterioration its not working.Type in aricept on Internet and you will find out more.Unfortunately most doctors don't know how to check if aricept is working.

terry999

Mar 27, 2008
london
Hi Lauren

My mother was on Arricpet for 18 months - 2years.

She has not been taking it for 4/5 months now. There has been deterioation but she was deterioating at the same rate on Arricept.

So for MY mum - made no difference.

Actually last week she has been more with it than I've seen for a long time.

With Arricept its an individual thing.