Resource Library

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
One of the feelings we have before we contribute to this forum is that we are alone in our problems in dealing with any form of dementia.

Over time, different people let us know things that have worked for them when they are/were caring for someone, but these things tend to be dissipated across different topics and disappear from clear view over time - so that people looking at the forum for the first time may miss out on things that were posted some time before.

Perhaps we can add helpful things there for all our benefits.

If something has been helpful to you, and you have not already seen it mentioned on the forum, or contained in this topic, why not tell us about it?

Last edited:

CraigC

Mar 21, 2003
London
Hi Bruce,

Only just caught this post.

Great idea! A while back I thought about putting a help file together with resources for members of the list but this seems a more logical way to do things and nothing beats peoples personal experiences. You can bet that if someone comes to the list with a problem, someone here has had to deal with it before.

Just to check that I'm on the same wavelenght here, is your idea for people to post their experiences on the more practical things.

e.g.

Getting a Diagnosis (how to go about it)
Dealing with your GP and Dementia
Getting time off to care for someone (your rights)
Contacting the social services
Finding out about care homes
Dental Care and Dementia
EPA (the ins and outs)

I'm kind of thinking along the lines of practical experiences people have had that will benefit others, the kinda of stuff you see in the factsheets but backed up with personal experiences and useful contacts etc.......

Kind Regards
Craig

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
Hi Craig

I hadn't got quite as far as you have!

I started off thinking about setting up the resources slot, because I found myself having to trawl back through the forums to find a previous tip of some sort to send to a new person posting to Talking Point.

The obvious thing seemed to collect such tips in a place where they will all be together and where we can point people, and where they can print them off.

The things I was looking at were more tactical things I had come across - beds, chairs, poems, knowing your peers, etc - but it would be good as well to follow your suggestion for a more structured and strategic approach for the larger topics.

As you point out, the factsheets provide a more formal presentation but lack personal experiences.

I wonder if the topics you suggested - and others we think of - might be couched more in the following terms:

How did you get a Diagnosis (how did you go about it)

What were your experiences of dealing with your GP and Dementia

Were you able to get time off to care for someone (and did you know your your rights)

What were your experiences of contacting the social services

How did you find out about care homes

Have you had experience of Dental Care and Dementia

Have you had experience of Eye Care and Dementia

Have you created an EPA (have you experience of the ins and outs)

Each could be a separate thread and people could contribute their developing stories over time. So these would be more of a continuing story of 'what seems to work/not work in reality, than a 'what to do', where the formal path would be a factsheet.

CraigC

Mar 21, 2003
London
Great! And thanks for the rewording, it needed more thought.

My only additional suggestion would be to post any links to the relevant factsheet on the first message in the thread.

Cheers
Craig

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
:cool: Good idea!

We can set up the basic structure and look forward to the contributions by members of the forum..... :D

Helen_old

Dec 29, 2003
WALES
Hi brucie,

I think the resource library idea is great. I hope the following is the sort of thing your looking for. My mum has trouble remembering the date & day of the week. Also sometimes if she falls asleep during the day when she wakes she is unsure if it is 10am or 10pm. Anyway i've come across a calendar that does all this.It not only tells you the DATE but also the DAY of the week & if it is NIGHT or DAY.As its electric it changes automatically. Its on website www.ihagen.no/english.htm. Will need to click on english for translation. Its called the forget-me-not calendar with a picture of flowers but this can be changed to a picture of your own choice. It does cost £65 +£4 postage though.I know a lot of people with early dementia still know they get their pension on a Tuesday for example, but if they don't know what day it is, this is no use to them. Also i know my mum used to be able to check her paper calendar to see if there was anything she should be doing eg. dentist appointment, if she was told what the date was.This could be of particular help to those who still live alone.I've looked everywhere for a calendar like this & this is the only one I've been able to find.

Thought it might be of interest to others .

Take care all

Helen

Norman

Oct 9, 2003
Birmingham Hades
Bruce
A simple one which has worked now for ages.
7 pages of A4 written,monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday,changed each bedtime to the next day
Hung on the bedroom wall opposite the end of the bed.
As you well know getting AD sufferers to use aids is not easy,they opt to ask questions ,but this is the first thing seen on awakening ,the day,and it works.
All best wishes
Norman

Jude

Dec 11, 2003
Tully, Qld, Australia
Can't remember if I've mentioned this before or not -

I bought a big digital clock from Debenhams which shows the time, day, date, month and the room temperature in very large print. That has been extremely useful.

Another aid that I use is a whiteboard in the kitchen and each week I fill in details of visitors who are coming to see us, or excursions that we will be taking. I've set it up from Mon-Sun vertically and then am and pm horizontally. When we've finished with Monday for example, I just wipe out the details and date, so that they know that it's Tuesday. They use this every day. It gives them lots of room for discussion about forthcoming events and well as the pleasure of anticipation.

Jude

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
robbertm