B12 deficiency, diabetes and Alzheimers

Sandgrounder

May 5, 2006
Merseyside
Hi,
I am wondering if anybody has had experience of this deficiency?
I took my husband to see yet another consultant last week (almost four years after his diagnosis of Alzheimer's) This consultant raised the suggestion that he is not suffering from Alzheimer's disease but from a 'simple' B12 vitamin deficiency brought on my him taking Metformin for his diabetes for several years. He's had a blood test and I am waiting for the results. I find it hard to believe something so 'simple' could cause such terrible effects - I wonder why B12 deficiency isn't tested for when the investigation of dementia is underway?
The consultant also said that my husband could also 'just' be suffering from depression which mimics (apparently) ALL the symptoms of dementia and from which he could just wake up one morning and be back to normal. If only that could be true.
The hardest thing for me is that if the blood test does not show this deficiency then that tiny glimmer of hope for a return of our future will be cruelly dashed.
Of course then I could always hope that as the consultant said my husband could wake up one morning and be back to normal. I wish.

Watch this space!

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Hmm - it's difficult to know what to say to be honest. I think it is true that B12 deficiency can cause symptoms of dementia (see this factsheet http://www.alzheimers.org.uk/site/scripts/documents_info.php?documentID=135)

I wonder though why this wouldn't have been considered before? Between 10 and 30% of people taking this have a reduction in B12.

I suppose in your position I would be delighted if they could find a reversible cause of your husband's dementia but more than a little wary that this came into the category of "too good to be true".

I have to say that I have suffered from depression over the years, (now well medicated) but at no point in time could it have been described as dementia - out of focus yes, poor recall yes, but dementia no. I really do think (although I'd be happy to be proved wrong) that any doctor that suggests that depression can mimic dementia to the extent that you have described has a limited understanding of depression (to put it kindly).

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
My husband is a Type 2 diabetic. He has had regular blood tests monitoring his diabetes, including for B12 deficiency.

He was treated for depression initially, but the GP did say his circulation to the extremities could be affected by the diabetes, including his circulation to the brain.

Eventually , in 2005, a CT scan showed brain shrinkage and he was diagnosed with Alzheimers. It wasn`t until June 2008 that he was found to be B12 deficient and is now prescribed B12 supplements.

Sandy

Mar 23, 2005
Hi Sandgrounder,

I am wondering if anybody has had experience of this deficiency?
I took my husband to see yet another consultant last week (almost four years after his diagnosis of Alzheimer's) This consultant raised the suggestion that he is not suffering from Alzheimer's disease but from a 'simple' B12 vitamin deficiency brought on my him taking Metformin for his diabetes for several years. He's had a blood test and I am waiting for the results.

I don't have any first-hand experience of this, but I have seen posts about B12 on the forum.

Sadly, the normal Search function on Talking Point does not work for short terms like B12, so if you want to search previous posts, try this link (searched using Google):

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&as_q=B12&as_epq=&as_oq=&as_eq=&num=10&lr=&as_filetype=&ft=i&as_sitesearch=forum.alzheimers.org.uk&as_qdr=all&as_rights=&as_occt=any&cr=&as_nlo=&as_nhi=&safe=images

Can I just ask what has led to a visit to a new consultant? Last time you posted you said that the consultant (at that time) was considering the possibility that your husband had FTD and was thinking about stopping Aricept. Did that happen? Has any consultant ever mentioned Ebixa (supposed to be much more suitable for FTD)?

I find it hard to believe something so 'simple' could cause such terrible effects - I wonder why B12 deficiency isn't tested for when the investigation of dementia is underway?

The Alzheimer's Society's fact sheet about diagnosis says that this sort of test is part of the initial screening done by the GP and I'm fairly sure it was done for my mother-in-law. Still, it's possible that your husband wasn't tested or that the levels have changed over time.

The consultant also said that my husband could also 'just' be suffering from depression which mimics (apparently) ALL the symptoms of dementia and from which he could just wake up one morning and be back to normal. If only that could be true.

The hardest thing for me is that if the blood test does not show this deficiency then that tiny glimmer of hope for a return of our future will be cruelly dashed.

Of course then I could always hope that as the consultant said my husband could wake up one morning and be back to normal. I wish.

On the one hand, I think it is really moving that you are trying to talk to a new consultant to see what more can be done for your husband. I'm sure that I would do that if I was in your shoes.

On the other hand, I would worry about building up false hopes which could leave you feeling very disapointed.

I hope you get the answers you need soon.

Take care,

Sandy

JPG1

Account Closed
Jul 16, 2008
Vegetarians often suffer from B12 deficiencies because the major source of Vit B12 in our foods is .. meat, fish and dairy products. (I think,but no doubt someone will correct that if I've got it wrong.) The very same foods that may be shunned by diabetics and by the occasional dementia sufferer. Our GP insisted there was no B12 deficiency ... but there was, in a diabetic Metformin-taker.

And once the supplementary medication was prescribed, things improved. So we insisted on that same test afterwards.

It may all depend on which blood tests the GP chooses/remembers to tick on the blood test form.

And, confession cometh now: we have frequently ticked boxes that the GP chose not to tick. GP never noticed; blood sucked was same ‘volume of blood’ sucked (more or less); but on more than one occasion the result was ... important. Even though the GP never ticked the box.

But same GP was enormously proud of discovering ... a need for an additional investigation / medication / treatment.

We have a separated ‘blood sucker’ appointment system here. Our GP doesn’t suck blood, but merely fills in form.

So we go see GP – GP fills in form – we go away with the form, and make an appointment with the blood sucker, then go home and amend the form, if required, by ticking additional boxes that we may require to be tested – same blood gets sucked and tested.

GP often pleasantly surprised by results. Even though GP never requested the test that surprises same GP.

Magic!

Can only recommend it.

terry999

Mar 27, 2008
london
My mum's consultant at memory clinic advised getting B12 booster injections every 3 months. Mum has had a history of low B12/iron unfortunately I didn't know about this - until she had Alz.

I remember reading an article (sorry don't know source) that said many alzheimer sufferers had low B12. There was some evidence that having low levels could make you more at risk of Dementia.

Was speaking to a friend who's father is epileptic his medication has brought on low B12/iron levels and has been diagnosed with a form of v.mild dementia.

From my experience of mum only and NO medical knwoledge, If I were found to be low in B12 with dimentia; topping it up with injections would be my top priority rather than say taking Arricept.

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
There is evidence that says some older people may not absorb dietary B12 as well as younger people. Here's a link to the Mayo Clinic:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/senior-health/HA00066

This article is about senior malnutrition in general but I have heard the point about malabsorption several times.

terry999 said:
From my experience of mum only and NO medical knwoledge, If I were found to be low in B12 with dimentia; topping it up with injections would be my top priority rather than say taking Arricept.

For me, I would get the injections AND take the Aricept. My mother has monthly injections of B12 and it has not improved her dementia. However, I believe it has contributed to keeping her as physically healthy as she is.