Regarding NHS Continuing Care

Status
Not open for further replies.

tillygirl

Jan 7, 2009
Tyneside
I think an important point Pauline made is, where do you find out about continuing care. The only place that I have heard about it is on this forum. What about the elderly who are not computer literate. How do they find out? Information is often given on a need to know basis. That is "we know but you dont need to":rolleyes::D I am not sure if SS would be very forthcoming with this information especially if you are self funding.

How DO people gain the knowledge that they need to help them through this minefield. I have learned everything through TP, it is invaluable but there are many people who have yet to find it.

Tilly

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
Where do you find out about Continuing Care

There are threads on TP! Social Workers 'should' know (although mine never has mentioned it), CPN's should know, and when all that failed I googled Continuing Care and posted on TP! I now have a wealth of information on the subject.

In our case it was during an Assesment period for my husband that the nurses felt a 'Nursing Assessment' should be done - the rest followed and I am in midst of appeal.

I am sure that it is possible to request an assessment from any of the support services, even approaching a GP if necessary.

The Alz Society factsheet 'When does the NHS pay for Care' has been of great help to me. You can also print off the National Framework and the 'ADASS' document (commentary and advice for local authorities'.

Jan

Marianne

Jul 5, 2008
NW England
How DO people gain the knowledge that they need to help them through this minefield.
Tilly

Tilly I agree the PCT's, SS, CPN's don't inform you about CHC, they keep quiet and send SS to means test the person.

I came across ************ website which spurred me on to understand that my dad had been assessed incorrectly and illegally, by the time I found this website he had been in care paying £2000 per month for 2 years.
Marianne

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
I am not sure if SS would be very forthcoming with this information especially if you are self funding.

Work both way with SS, even if one is not self funding they still not forthcoming at all very close shop so to speak when it come to NHS Continuing health Care needs.

Also Tilly they was an MSN group about NHS continuing care seem its close down now .

Hello Ruth/Pauline

I'm sorry, but I found this point a little surprising as I know from experience that Continuing Care is a frequent topic (generally of assitance and not debate) on Talking Point.

Perhaps, being new to Talking Point, you have not yet discovered the Search funtion on the navigation bar just above the message viewing window.

I did a quick search on "continuing care" and found that at least 25 threads started in the last month. Here's a recent one with lot's of good points:

http://www.alzheimers.org.uk/talkingpoint/discuss/showthread.php?t=15288&highlight=continuing+care

Take care,

Sandy

I did a quick search on "continuing care" and found that at least 25 threads started in the last month. Here's a recent one with lot's of good points

That Just go to show that they is a gap in the care needs when someone is looking after someone with a Demetria, in what they want to know about continuing care . Its not in "awareness and campaigning" Sticky. section.

New people coming into TP not understanding how this forum work, as not every one is computer literate Search function on the navigation bar, as Sandy point out about the search function

So in my option I would say for no more future misunderstands
to show AS/TP is acknowledging people feelings about NHS continuing care for people with a Dementia

This thread should really be made into a Sticky thread moved into the
Awareness and campaigning" Sticky thread.

If not I am just wondering why , if you don't mind me asking?

Last edited:

Marianne

Jul 5, 2008
NW England
Also Tilly they was an MSN group about NHS continuing care seem its close down now .

Below is the replacement for the MSN forum the forum had to find a replacement site when MSN closed in February.

www.***************.findtalk.net/forum.htm

You can also gain access to this forum through the [see previously for advertised web address] website

Marianne

Last edited by a moderator:

waterwoman

Jun 12, 2007
Why have the moderators deleted the link to the *******info website and forum?

Moderators, why have you deleted the links to the *******info website and forum in previous posts? This smacks of censorship. As there are many members who might wish to get help from those who run the website who are experts on Continuing Care? This is not advertising a commercial site which is probibited on this forum. This website offers free help and advice. Pam Coughlan (famous leading case on Continuing Care of Coughlan ) is one of the founders of the campaign to raise awareness of the right to Continuing Care and she is a forum member too. Here is the website address again:
******************************* The forum link is:http://***************.********.net/

If these links are deleted all you members are advised that it is not I who have done it but the moderators.

Jan

ella24

Nov 9, 2008
South Coast UK
Well, I had bookmarked your site before, and returned to look at check something I had read a few days ago.

Having just looked back at your site and seen another personal attack (by you), and a publishing (by you) of a private message to your TP account on the open forum, my personal guess is that it is deemed that some of your members have destroyed any credibility in your site to allow it to be recommended from this site.

I guess, too, that as you have breached not only TP forum rules in publishing a private message, but your own websites rules for copying from other sites without creditting it, that your accounts on both sites will be suspended.

waterwoman

Jun 12, 2007
Ella a pity most of the Talking Point members can't read our forum and find out the truth about what you are talking about - because TP moderators have censored it :)

Bob S

Mar 24, 2009
Welwyn Garden City
One thing that doesn't help the situation is the reluctance of local authorities to challenge the PCT's when they decide that someone is not eligible for fully funded NHS continuing care.

I have been dealing with Suffolk PCT in respect of my father and they have one of the worst records in the country for funding continuing care. At one time (Apr 06-Mar 07) they carried out 860 continuing care assessments and refused funding in 800 of them, some 93% of all the assessments they carried out. I asked Suffolk County Council a year ago how many cases they had actually challenged in the previous 3 years and the response was zero.

The current economic climate might make local authorities more proactive in challenging PCT's and their decisions, especially as this is now being advocated by ADASS.

As an aside, I have to wonder why references to the w w w . f r e e n u r s i n g c a r e . f i n d t a l k . n e t forum are being censored by Brucie? Would someone care to explain the rationale to this please?

julieann15

Jun 13, 2008
Leicestershire
Why stay longer?

Ella
I was just thinking that myself? I thought anything put in a PM was private and could not be reproduced without the express permission of the person who sent it? Obviously Bruce is not around at present to give his permission but hey-ho lets's reproduce it afterall- and on your website !!

I think everyone on here has now got the point so why don't you toddle off back to your forum - okay you have given some links that may be useful to some people but you have now done that so why stay?

Julie

ella24

Nov 9, 2008
South Coast UK
As an aside, I have to wonder why references to the forum are being censored by Brucie? Would someone care to explain the rationale to this please?

Well, my guess is that by actions and behaviours and deflammatory comments as outlined above to 'waterwoman' that all credibility is lost....

Bob S

Mar 24, 2009
Welwyn Garden City
So it's ok for TP members to make personal attacks on the newcomers then Ella? That doesn't do much for the credibility of TP when that is allowed to happen.

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
3.5 Messages must not be excessively repeated intentionally.
3.3 Messages containing contact details (web addresses, emails, phone numbers, fax numbers or postal addresses) are not allowed except with the prior written consent of the Alzheimer's Society.
4.1 The Alzheimer's Society has the right, but no obligation, to remove, edit, move or close any message or group of messages for any reason.
4.2 The Alzheimer's Society is not obliged to enter into any correspondence regarding the moderation of content on the Talking Point discussion system.
4.3 The Alzheimer's Society has the right to modify or delete any or all information relating to a user, including deletion of that user's account, without prior notice or reason.
4.4 Any removal or banning of a visitor from anywhere within Talking Point is binding and the decision is final, and no correspondence will be entered into nor will moderators be obliged to explain such banning.
4.5 In cases of dispute, the decision of the Website Manager of the Alzheimer's Society shall be final.

Status
Not open for further replies.