Memory Tests

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
We went for the six monthly assessment this week and were told that my husband's score had gone up from 21 to 25. Obviously we are pleased but I'm not sure what the score is out of and what a reasonable score is. Can anyone help with this?

Thanks
Izzy

Norman

Oct 9, 2003
Birmingham Hades
memory test

Izzy
the bottom score I think is in the teens.
I understand that there is a cut off number which denotes a point where the given medication is not proving to be of any benifit any longer and may be discontinued.
I am not sure how strictly this system is adhered to.
Best wishes
Norm

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
I just did a search of the Internet generally to learn more about the tests because I always make hard work of almost anything.

I found information on the Alzheimer's Society web pages [WHY didn't I think to look there first!] about the Mini Mental State Examination [MMSE] test, which may be the one used here.

You will find details at:

http://www.alzheimers.org.uk/How_is_dementia_diagnosed/Diagnosis_process/info_MMSE.htm

The information says:
"The MMSE is a series of questions and tests, each of which scores points if answered correctly. If every answer is correct, a maximum score of 30 points is possible. People with Alzheimer's disease generally score 26 points or less.

Important: This is not a test for Alzheimer's disease. There are many other reasons why you might score less than 26 points. "

This brought back memories of sitting alongside Jan while she was being tested, desperately willing her to be able to answer the simplest of questions. I remember that the fact she could not answer things worried me far more than it did her on these occasions. I don't recall her saying that she was concerned at all.

B

Betty

my score

Hello Izzy

My father had a memory test recently. the top score is 30 and he scored 25, however the week before he had scored 24 and one month before 26 1/2. so who knows?

On the second occasion my mother and I were with him and he said he was a bit more nervous because we were there.

I am not sure what these tests acheive, other than my father is now constantly ensuring that he can count backwards from 100 in 7's, check the day's date and pat his head while rubbing his stomach!

my mother and i on the other hand are wondering if we are also developing alzheimers, cos i didnt know the date, or the name of the hospital we were in, she couldnt count backwards or make a pentagon with lollypopsticks, ( a what ? she said) and neither of us could remember object number 3 when asked to repeat it!

its now our favourite game at teatime!

Of course there is a serious side to it and I guess it will become more so the lower the score becomes, but we are trying to retain a sense of humour at the moment, while we can.

There is a website on Aricept and Eixba on the web which refers to the memory test scores and their use as markers for these drugs.you can also download the test itself at www.kumarandclark.com or there is a copy in Kumar and Clarks Clinical Medicine textbook if you are interested. hope that helps.

Regards wendy

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I know what you mean, Wendy - I can't do half the things Bill has to do in the test and the day of the test I had arrived at work at 6.15am thinking it was 7.15 am - so I'm not sure who is most in need of help!!

As you say I think keeping a sense of humour is so important, I know there will be times ahead when things will be much more serious. I really believe in making the most of what we have while we have it. Alz certainly makes you put things into perspective.

Thanks for the reply,

Iz

B

Betty

kumar and clarke

Hi Norman

Access to internet is available when you buy the medical textbook which is about £35.00. Sorry forgot to mention that bit. I know this is a bit pricey but gives you unlimitied access and updates . Access is limited to you personally.

However if you are interested in the outline of the memory test and other info I have this through other sources and would be quite happy to e-mail to you or post privately. would post generally if others would find it useful.

I am not an expert at this stuff, so use with care !

regards

betty

Norman

Oct 9, 2003
Birmingham Hades
Betty
I would be pleased to receive the information on the memory tests.
Can you Email or what is easiest for you ?
Best wishes
Norman

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
Hi Betty
I'm hoping to start up a resources section for the forum and this would be useful for there - so please can you post what you have publicly?

Regards

Norman

Oct 9, 2003
Birmingham Hades
Bruce
what a splendid idea.
I try to remember where the information is in case I need it in the future,but if we had a resource centre it would be so easy to find.
Best Wishes
Norman

Chris

May 20, 2003
Resources section of forum

Hi Bruce

what do you see in the Resources Section - website addresses only ?????? or where to get things like self adhesive illustration of a lavatory for toilet door ??? !!! Anyone find these useful ? or do they cause offence - maybe OK in a day centre but not at home ?

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
I wanted somewhere where we could maintain - permanently - information that may be helpful in resourcing the needs of people with dementia or their carers.

Offence is generally in the eye of the beholder. We would edit out anything that was genuinely offensive to most people, though I would doubt that we would experience that on this forum.

Chris

May 20, 2003
Resource 'Centre' on the forum

Bruce - look forward to this very much - I did read (but cant remember where - may have been in something to do with helping people with very advanced dementia to eat) about chairs that recline slightly but do not have the foot rest that some have -
these can be a bit of a hazard if someone who may get confused tries to get up & they can be a trip hazard if lots of people walking around and the room is small.

Anyway - there are lots of good ideas out there - some developed for other disabilities (partially sighted) that can be very useful for someone with dementia or carers if accessed at a suitable time - the latter is really important and this new part of forum would help people do that . Thanks.

betty2

Jun 14, 2004
posting info

sorry guys, the system seems to have forgotten who I am and hasn't let me reply to anything for a couple of weeks. so sorry for delay in sending info.

I have had to re register as betty 2.anyone know why ? it just keeps saying that I am not allowed to do anything in the forum rules.

will send memory test stuff asap. tommorrow hopefully.

betty ( 1 and 2)

betty2

Jun 14, 2004
test now posted

just to let you know that i have posted a copy of the test on the resources section ( eventually )

betty

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MonkeyFeet