Moving Dad follow up

Barby

May 5, 2008
Hi Everyone
We are still no further on with our quest to move Dad closer to us. After the Best of Interests meeting which ended in stalemate we thought the doctors were going to make a decision...........oh no!
The decision is still in the air no-one seems prepared to say yes or no.

Our children wrote to the doctor and the elderley client liason team manager, in all 5 letters stating our case that Dad would be so much better off being closer to us than left where he is, but because brother-in-law wants to leave him there it is still in contension.

The powers that be are now going to the Court of Protection for an answer..... this all seems a bit heavy when it is so obvious that the benefits of him being near us far outweigh the other option.

We now have a place at the home near us which the manager will hold for a week, meanwhile the Liason team head is making enquiries and is even going to ring the home here to discuss the placement.

I was so pleased to read ChrisH's post on moving mum and hope one day we might be posting the same.

Are the Care Services where Dad is, being a bit useless or is this the procedure to follow?? We are at a loss and just feel precious time is ticking away with Dad an hour and a half's drive away when he could be here getting so much love and attention from us all
Thanks for reading it helps to get things off your chest
kind regards
Barby

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Actually it sounds as if they are following the guideline set out for these situations. If it is not possible to come to an agreement, particularly when there are family members in contention, then it is entirely appropriate for this to be referred to the Court of Protection. In fact, there is no other legal option.

Do you know if they have made this an urgent request? That is, that it should be dealt with over the next few days? To be honest, I'm not sure if they would accept this for this sort of matter. I thought the "urgent" path was for people who had end of life issues, but I may be quite wrong about that.

ella24

Nov 9, 2008
South Coast UK
Hiya

we moved my gran to a CH 6 weeks ago 120 miles to be nearer to the majority of the family, rather than her own area with only 1 or 2 relatives. Gran's SS team tried to facilitate a meeting but ultimately were unwilling to sit between the two 'sides' of the differing family locations - gran actually made it worse by saying she wanted her two sons to decide - they couldn't/wouldn't.

Ultimately what happened was that we found a home here and took gran to see it when she visited us, she then agreed to try it out (although she then forgot what she agreed:eek:). Even though she had forgotten, SS then spoke to her (and used an advocate from Age Concern to coroberate that she would try it out). Even though she kept forgetting her decision, they said that she agreed more times than disagreeing....

The decision then became hers and SS would then happily process the move/funding (Deferred Payments), and we sorted out top-up etc and the home at this end.

To be honest, once we had the nod it happened very quickly - the SS process was a couple of panel meetings for financial approval - but the CH needs to be set up with the LA - which we are still getting set up despite gran being resident now...

good luck

e

Barby

May 5, 2008
moving Dad followup

thanks to everyone for all your comments and suggestions I think we have a long depressing uphill struggle ahead of us
Barby