A life in the day of.........................

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello Maggie and Sue

I never eat cheese. I don`t like it unless it`s in a cheesecake. :D If I`m dieting I don`t eat cheesecake. :cool:
I only eat red meat once a week, am not a milk drinker and have started to buy Flora instead of butter.
So I think I can reduce my Cholesterol level by dieting.
At least I can try.

Good news about your mother Sue.
I understand how pleased she will have been as I was delighted. When you get to our age it`s more usual to hear health is declining rather than improving, so it`s a bonus.

Squibbs

May 13, 2008
Portsmouth, England
Hello Sylvia - I also have high cholesterol and have been told that mine is hereditary and that diet wont help too much so I take the tablets for that. I also struggle with my weight and was bemoaning the fact that I cannot 'go it alone' and my surgery has agreed to pay for me to have 12 weeks at a local Rosemary Connelly class which they will pay for, if I'm doing well at the end of the 12 weeks they will pay for another 12 weeks. I dont really need to have it paid for but the knowledge that someone else is paying will, I hope make me stick to it. Is there any chance your surgery have the same sort of scheme going? Sue

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello Sue

My GP`s surgery is running a Weight Management Scheme which I suppose is much cheaper than sending me to a commercial slimming club. I will be getting one to one support for six months, so I`m still grateful.

I have no idea whether or not the high cholesterol is diet related. I don`t know any other family member who has had it. I just want to try to get it down by diet and if not I`ll take the medication. It isn`t dangerously high so there`s no urgency.

Thank you for posting Sue. Please let me know how much you lose by the end of the 12? 24? weeks. :)

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
also have high cholesterol and have been told that mine is hereditary and that diet wont help too much so I take the tablets for that. I also struggle with my weight and was bemoaning the fact that I cannot 'go it alone' and my surgery has agreed to pay for me to have 12 weeks at a local Rosemary Connelly class which they will pay for, if I'm doing well at the end of the 12 weeks they will pay for another 12 weeks

Thats very interesting to read , also what your doctor offering you also Sylvia ( both of you have high cholesterol ) as I read last year, posted link on TP about A national programme to identify vulnerability to vascular diseases.

A national programme to identify vulnerability to vascular diseases will prevent up to 9,500 heart attacks and strokes every year and save 2,000 lives, Health Secretary Alan Johnson announced. was going to happen .

My Link On TP does not work anymore , but found this on it .

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/102415.php

He said I am 25% more likely to suffer the effects of vascular disease within the next 10 years, and medication is advised for those with a 20%+ risk.

Last edited:

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
From that Link

We are today setting out our evidence for a national vascular check programme in Putting Prevention First. Everyone between the ages of 40 and 74 will be entitled to the checks.

The checks would be based on straightforward questions and measurements such as age, sex, family history, height, weight and blood pressure. They would also include a simple blood test to measure cholesterol.

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
All this stuff on dieting -- :eek::eek::eek::eek::(:(:(:(:(:(

Can we just talk about low fat, low starch and low sugar!!! That would bring me off butter and wine!! - they are my weakness.

God knows what my cholesterol is but my blood pressure is getting higher! I have my own wrist pressure guage (originally for D).

If there was nothing to worry about I guess we would all have a full bill of health.

Love Jan

sad nell

Mar 21, 2008
bradford west yorkshire
Jan just ate rasin bread with an inch( 20mm)of lurpak and finished the bottle of shiraz, and do you know it was worth it. tomorrow will take trev for long walk for his benefit nothing to do with me needing to walk it off honest,Pam

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
It`s been a bit of a mixed up couple of days .

On Friday Dhiren slept nearly all day and, because he was sleeping, hardly ate. I was concerned. Was he over medicated? Was he fighting infection? Was it the dementia?

So I reduced his dose and yesterday he was much more alert, made up for the previous day`s low food intake and didn`t sleep at all during the day.

And today he seems to be in line for a good day too.
His Indian magazines are dated in tiny print. It is difficult for him to find the latest edition. So with self adhesive labels I dated them all in a size he can see easily. He spent over an hour putting them into order.

I`m so grateful to the consultant for allowing me flexibility with Dhiren`s medication.

I have another concern.
I`m concerned he is deliberately not drinking enough because it`s too much effort to go to the toilet.
He says he no longer likes tea. He was never a big coffee drinker. He used to drink pints of water, but not any longer.
Whatever drink I make, he takes a sip and then leaves the room holding his cup. He pours it down the bathroom wash basin.
Last night I made him a chocolate `Options` which he enjoyed and I think he finished. I will try it again.
Some of it is forgetting the drink and letting it go cold. Some is no longer having the taste for it. And I worry he is avoiding drink because it`s too much effort to go to the toilet.

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
Some of it is forgetting the drink and letting it go cold. Some is no longer having the taste for it. And I worry he is avoiding drink because it`s too much effort to go to the toilet

Exactly how David is!! If he is going through a fluid retention stage (not needing the loo so much) then he drinks more - retains more :eek::eek::eek:

To help the intake I used to give soup, ice cream and custard, yoghurt - anything with fluid content.

I hope Dhiren's day continues to be good (and yours!!).

Love Jan

gigi

Nov 16, 2007
East Midlands
Drinking...

And I worry he is avoiding drink because it`s too much effort to go to the toilet.

It's possible, Sylvia...you can only encourage him to drink.

Eric can have the same cup of coffee by his side all morning...and asks me to reheat it over and over again. He certainly does not drink as much as he should...never drinks water...never has.

And hardly ever goes to the loo...but he's always been like that..

Wish I could think of a solution..but I can't..maybe someone else has come across this..?

Love gigi xx

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello Jan

Since i`ve been making my own soups Dhiren has been having them most lunchtimes and no-one wants a cup of tea after soup.

Ice cream, custards and yoghurts have to be watched because of the diabetes although he will take natural yoghurt with Splenda.

His has lots of milk on cereal but I tend to regard it as a food rather than a liquid even though the main content is water.

Just something else to be watchful about.

sue38

Mar 6, 2007
Wigan, Lancs
Hi Sylvia

Just a thought, but I wonder if the medication is making the tea taste different. :confused: I know some medications can make things taste 'metallic'.

As I say, just a thought.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hi Sue

I doubt the medication is having any effect on taste as Dhiren has been spilling his tea down the sink for a while now.
But who knows?

And now.........
I have been tidying the front garden. When I came back into the house Dhiren had brought all the washing in off the line. He had felt bad not being able to help in the garden, so was determined to find some way to help.
It didn`t matter it was 1pm. with hours of sunshine and drying time left. Only the thinnest garments were dry, but he`d brought the lot in.

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
Dear Sylvia

Milk and soup will count towards Dhiren's liquid intake, so that is a plus.

Realise that you have to be careful with yoghurts, custards etc because of his diabetis. One tip, only proffer have a cup (or mug) of whatever drink you are having. Sometimes just the sight of so much liquid can be offputting. Little and often may work better.

I have been tidying the front garden. When I came back into the house Dhiren had brought all the washing in off the line. He had felt bad not being able to help in the garden, so was determined to find some way to help.
It didn`t matter it was 1pm. with hours of sunshine and drying time left. Only the thinnest garments were dry, but he`d brought the lot in

Certainly sounds a better day for you both. How good that he wanted to help.:)

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Sylvia, you mentioned a few days ago that Dhiren had had a couple of 'accidents'. My guess would be that he is trying to avoid that happening again.

I've no doubt he feels very embarrassed and humiliated by what happened.

I think Connie's suggestion of only giving half a cup is a good one, and soup's also good. Would he eat ice lollies? The bought ones are probably laden with sugar, but you could make your own from pure juice.

I'm glad you've managed to regulate his meds, anyway.:)

Love,

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
Hello Sylvia

I can't add anything to the drinking issue I'm afraid. It was good to hear that you've been industrious in the front garden and that Dhiren has been industrious too with the washing;):D
I was going to hang my washing out today because it is windy but I had to pop out to buy some bigger trousers seeing as I'm putting on weight. Whilst I was out it started throwing it down with rain and it still is.

I hope your knees won't suffer from the gardening.

Love

Status
Not open for further replies.