Relieving boredom and frustration

freefairy

Nov 2, 2004
Colchester
Hi there, i haven't been here for ages but i have found a great way to help my dad relieve some of his anger, frustration and boredom and thought it may help any one else here with similar problems.

Dad started to get very bored and frustraited so started throwing anything that came close at hand, he has lost the dexterity in his hands so finds it difficult to pick up things (mum has needed to help him eat for many months now) this didn't stop him managing to throw shoes/toilet frame/cups/plates etc at my mum.

Out shopping i came accross some sponge balls and a small fold out goal post, dad has had some great times trying to score goals with the balls, i also got a bright coloured bin to store and throw the balls in and he liked to walk arround collecting the balls from the floor, putting them in his bin and trying to score goals again.

You can get these balls from woolworths or any toy store, we found the splash balls useful because they can be washed as dad dribbles over them, they are lightweight and will bounce off of anything without breaking anything or more importantly hurting anyone!

If anyone has any other ideas to help in this area it'd be great to hear from you.

Sheryl

Nutty Nan

Nov 2, 2003
Buckinghamshire
Toys

Sheryl, that sounds like a great idea.
I have been using children's toys for some time now - Stickle Bricks, Duplo Lego, Toddlers' books, etc - but the sponge balls seem a good alternative, bright and harmless, as long as he doesn't start biting bits off, which is currently a new worry (choking hazard).
Thanks for the tip!

freefairy

Nov 2, 2004
Colchester
Hi Nutty Nan

I know what you mean about the sponge balls, we have used the splash balls more recently as they are made with a thickish fabric arround the outside, this reduces the chance of biting or breaking bits off greatly, you can also buy small soft squashy plastic balls but these are slightly more heavier than the sponge variety.

One other thing he likes to do is throw a beach ball, it's nice and easy to catch because of the size and is light weight so he can throw it without any problem.

Sheryl

daughter

Mar 16, 2005
Hi Sheryl,

Thanks from me too, I also think it's an excellent idea. My Dad has enjoyed playing catch in the garden during the Summer months. Your idea will be good for indoors during the winter, and hopefully will appeal to his footballing past.

I looked in my local Woolworth's today, but no luck so I'll be scouring the other shops very soon!

Thanks again,

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BarbH