Diagnosis Help??

magenta

Feb 16, 2009
wales
diagosis

Hi Mayfield,
My husband was diagnosed after being sectioned. That makes things a bit different.
The CPN still comes as my husband has been violent. However the GP has been very little help. They will only treat someone who goes in to ask about their problems so even though I was having difficulties at home they would do nothing. It was a new younger GP in the practice with experience of geriatrics that began the referal process, but the heart problems and sectioning forced a response.
The SS is dreadful. After my husband had been back at home awhile I ran asking about respite. Talk about wriggle! he would do nothing and I realise now that I will have to be stroppy to get resipe if needed. At present we manage between the family.
THE BEST ADVICE came from a girl friend of mine. She told me to go to Age Concern and get them to help with advice on what financial help my husband could claim. They were very concerned about anyone filling in an Attendance Allowance Claim. I am well educated and would normally expect to do things like that myself,however they said they had a woman who was trained to do it and it was much more likely to be successful if she did it. She actually filled it in in pencil so I knew what to write. I would not have written answers the way she did and the second section of the form was filled in by the GP.
Due to my Mother having had dementia I also knew I had to get a POA, now Lasting power of Attorney. This was done by a solicitor visiting my husband while sectioned in hopital. I also have a letter from the consultant stating my husband was in a suitable condition to initiate a POA.
Incontinence has been really difficult. The community nurses should do this but are not interested and left a bag of pads to try but not those supplied to patients in this area! I was digging on the internet and found a company Euron who had pads. I asked them for samples and they were furious that I had not been helped. They have the contract with the local health authority and run it. It was just a stroke of luck. The actual order has to be placed by the community nurse but she was told to do it by Euron.
I am a Radio 4 listener and from YOU and YOURS I think care for dementia might be a government issue for 2009, but..............
Keep battling and pestering to get what you need.

mayfield

Jan 17, 2008
Northamptonshire
Information!

many thanks for everyones info, I think we all agree that it a lottery on what you recieve! SS are in the best part rubbish and in the worse part obstructive! Thanks for the link I will check them out.
I think it is just crazy that people do not recieve any continuity in the information they on this! I think that there should be an information pack handed to all carers at diagnosis that clearly informs them of their benifit rights, helping organisations, care approaches etc.

many thanks all, I am now so insensed I am going to try and find out were all this govt money is so that they can actually do something useful with it!

cheers

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sandrah1952