John Suchet's wife

sad nell

Mar 21, 2008
bradford west yorkshire
john suchet interview felt so real life and i identified with it such much his love for bonnie so obvious but also the fears for the future, first time i have felt any ephathy with these type of interviews hope it brings Alzhiemers issuses to thefore must admit i have a tear in my eye does not happen often Pam

Norman

Oct 9, 2003
Birmingham Hades
I have read many accounts of husbands talking about their lives with AD.
One of them could have been written by me.
The one by John Suchet
Norman

sumosumo

Aug 20, 2008
Isle of Man
John Suchet

That JS interview was amazing. In six minutes he was able to empathise with us. The 'jumping into their world' made so much sense. The betrayal thing is part of the grieving I believe. I am past that now. I actually think we are betraying by NOT telling people what the nitty gritty is! If we are not honest then how can help be given long term?

Thank you John; that was brave of you today and I hope therapeutic in its own way for you. Sadly you were then unable to go home and speak about it with you wife. I will never forget that interview.

Nutty Nan

Nov 2, 2003
Buckinghamshire
"hear-hear" to all that has been said: the best interview I have seen/heard for a long time, absolutely spot on - thank you Brucie for the link!

Hearing (or reading) one's own emotions mirrored and expressed by a complete stranger provides an amazing sense of relief.
I noticed this the first time I came across TP, and also when I read the book 'Learning to Speak Alzheimer's'.

John Suchet's decision to speak out will have done so much good in so many different ways. Well done.

lesmisralbles

Account Closed
Nov 23, 2007
I agree

John Suchet's decision to speak out will have done so much good in so many different ways. Well done.

I so agree.
His emotion XX

Barb & Ron

PS
Just going off to punch the %$£** out of a pillow.

sheena

Aug 4, 2007
Well done John Suchet - my husband got his diagnosis three years ago and it looks as though we will be travelling the same road as John and Bonnie will be - the same age as well - not what we planned for our retirement but a day at a time. I felt the emotion from him today and could feel his concern and also the anger he is obviously still feeling but he has done a great favour for all carers living the way we haveto and hopefully the people who can take the decisions about more Admiral Nurses (by the way I had never heard of them till today) will be listening and moved by such an emotional and accurate presentation. Now we will all be watching this space and perhaps this will give us the encouragement to get out there and fight our corner.

lesmisralbles

Account Closed
Nov 23, 2007
Hello Bruce

Five minutes of John Suchet were way more powerful than the entire two hours of Terry Pratchett recently.

Absolutely spot on in every way.

Agreed:)

Barb X & Ron ZZZ

katieberesford

May 5, 2005
south wales
diagnosis such a long time coming

Not just me and David relieved to eventually get a diagnosis then, which was 6 years in coming! John's interview reduced me to tears to-night as I related to everything he said. Admiral nurses are desperately needed all over England and Wales we must keep hounding our MP's.

Katie xx

penguin629

Nov 9, 2008
Shropshire
Hello

Have you all heard about the ex-newsreader's wife? He was on the TV yesterday and in the papers today talking about his wife, Bonnie, who was diagnosed with AD three years ago.

I read an article in the Daily Express and it's so heart-rendering. What he says about the loss is exactly how I feel about my Dad. About it feeling like an ongoing bereavement, but worse in that the person is physically still there.

He says he has an Admiral nurse, there are only 60 in the UK and whether you get help from them yet again depends on your postcode. He's in Westminster. The nurse who's psychiatrically trained sees John and his wife every month. I'd never even heard of them.

His wife looks such a nice lady and it seems it's always the nice ones. What a dreadful thing and yet I'm glad that celebrities and famous people suffer from it too so it becomes out in the open instead of not spoken about. I loved it when Terry Pratchett said that you have to speak the name of the demon first in order to fight it! A remarkable man. May read one of his books now.

Joanne

Linda Mc

Jul 3, 2005
Nr Mold
As one who has been involved (and still am) for a long time in the introduction of Admiral Nurses to Wales, mine is the first and only county as yet to have them I know just how valuable their services are.

It was a very lengthy process to get them and we hope other counties are working towards this goal.

We have two here and their workload is great we really need more. Funding of course is the main issue!

I do admire John for coming forward and speaking up for us all I so agree with Bruce's comments.

Linda x

bucko

Jan 28, 2009
Widnes
I could relate to so much of what John said. It was very moving. How can anyone not be touched by what he said. His openness and honesty is inspiring. His words and Terry Pratchetts are doing wonders for raising the awareness of dementia and helping to achieve what is really lacking. I, and I am sure alot of others, would like to thank them most sincerely for speaking out.

sumosumo

Aug 20, 2008
Isle of Man
interview

I have watched the interview again tonight on a different web site and therefore looking at John at a different angle; he is looking straight into the camera. Again, his emotion is palpable and everything he says is so real. It hit me as powerfully as the first viewing. What a star and what sterling work that man has done. I shall save the file and show my uncle who is suffering with his blind wife who has advancing dementia and my mum who is his sister in law - she too with advancing dementia. Thank you John. Keep up the good work. Clearly fund raising for the Admirals is needed. Going to go now and find if they have a web site.

sue38

Mar 6, 2007
Wigan, Lancs
John Suchet was on the Andrew Marr programme this morning. Normally I find this programme a bit 'heavy' for a Sunday morning, but I watched to see what he had to say.

He was reviewing the Sunday papers and highlighted the headline about the latest way to 'prevent dementia'. He spoke very well (again) and made the point, we all know, that there is no sure fire way to prevent, treat or cure dementia, and that these headlines do so much harm.

Again he expressed his concern about discussing his wife's illness without her knowledge or consent, a dilemma many of us have. What right have I to discuss my dad's illness? My family know that I do, some are happier about it than others (I know my mum has no problem with it), but how would my dad feel? I have no right to make that decision for him, but if we all kept quiet dementia would remain under the radar.

After John had spoken both Andrew Marr and his other guest looked terminally embarrassed, and Andrew quickly turned to the weather...:rolleyes:

The stigma lives on...

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello Sue

After John had spoken both Andrew Marr and his other guest looked terminally embarrassed, and Andrew quickly turned to the weather..

Don`t you think the embarrassment was caused by John`s emotion, as much as talk about dementia? He is very emotional and we are not used to seeing that in him. He should really be talking to us as we are the ones who would really understand, not Politicians and Journalists. We wouldn`t be embarrassed by his emotion. But then again we wouldn`t be able to further his cause for publicity for Admiral Nurses.

As for respecting the privacy of our sufferers.....this accusation has been levelled at me too.
I can only say I shudder to think what state I would be in by now if I`d had to live the last four years in isolation, with no-one to share my thoughts and feelings with, with no TP community for support, with no-one to off load to.

It`s a case of needs must when the devil drives.

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
I think for a lot of carers the alternative to talking about it would be throwing themselves under a bus, and I'm not really joking. How often do people start their first post here saying "I had no idea there were people that felt like me"? Occasionally you hear in the press about so called mercy killings and the vast majority of those are carers pushed to the brink and then pushed that bit harder.

The benefit he could get from coming here is to help him get over that privacy issue, and then he could go out and spread the word. Of course, one has to consider that mentioning the "is it right to speak out" effectively defuses anyone who would say it wasn't, so it may be functional.

lesmisralbles

Account Closed
Nov 23, 2007
Quote By Silvia
As for respecting the privacy of our sufferers.....this accusation has been levelled at me too.
I can only say I shudder to think what state I would be in by now if I`d had to live the last four years in isolation, with no-one to share my thoughts and feelings with, with no TP community for support, with no-one to off load to.

It`s a case of needs must when the devil drives.

Agreed, go girl:)
Barb X

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pescobar