Good reclining chair

Hadi

Feb 16, 2009
Hi all

My mum has temporal lobe dementia and is increasingly chair bound.

She can still walk with help and we don't want to have her sitting in a wheelchair all day.

We ordered an electric recliner but found that the arm rests were too low and my mum would just slump sideways over them.

She is in an ikea horseshoe shaped chair with high sides at the moment but she keeps slipping off it and falling on to the floor.

I wondered whether anyone knows of a chair with high/adjustable arm rests, a high back and which reclines so that she's comfy when she nods off during the day.

TIA

Hadi

magenta

Feb 16, 2009
wales
recliner chair

Hi
This maybe no help, but when I want advice on this type of thing I ask the occupational therapist at the hospital where my husband was diagnosed. The plus side of this is that they have managed to scrounge the loan of most of what we have needed so far. I realise this depends on services in your area. Never any harm in asking.

Sandy

Mar 23, 2005
Hi Hadi,

I agree with magenta, this really is the case for the occupational therapist (OT).

Your GP or Social Worker should be able to put you in touch with your local OT team.

Again, as magenta has said, the OT may be able to get what you need without you having to buy anything.

Take care,

Sandy

Hadi

Feb 16, 2009
Thanks for the quick replies and great advice - it hadn't occurred to me to ask the OT.

My mum's in Derby so not sure how well equipped they are buthere's hoping!

Margaret W

Apr 28, 2007
North Derbyshire
Hadi

Try contacting the University of Derby, they do a lot of research into occupational therapy and ergonomics. They might even regard your mum as as a research project!

Margaret

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anita1968