zonkjonk

toura

Feb 5, 2008
hertfordshire
:eek:hi has anyone heard from zonkjonk getting worried
about the fire over there has jo been on site please put my worry to ease

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
She seems to have been on the board at 9.54 this morning, even though she didn't post.

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
Hi toura

last time zonkjonk was on the forum was 9.54 this morning.

the last posting was 30 January

have you tried a PM?

zonkjonk

Mar 1, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
sorry to worry you toura..Im fine..
I actually usually check the forum in the evening
It`s the same as your morning of course.
The bushfires have been horrific, they were mostly in country towns, the closest fire to us was a 10 minute drive down the road.
Whole towns have been burnt to the ground.
On the day the fires started it was 46 degrees celcius
114.8 degrees farenheit..the highest temperature ever recorded in melbourne. It felt like standing in a furnace, and the winds were intensly hot.
The death toll is now at 173 :(:(:( some people had no chance
apparantly the wall of fire came through the towns like a tsunami.
apart from the death toll, there are many people left with nothing but the clothes on their back.Its such a tragedy
I am lucky that I have no friends or relatives affected.
Jo

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello Jo

It`s good to know you are all right but the news has been really shocking.
It has been made even worse by the suspicion of arson.
Take care xx

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Good to hear from you, Jo!:)

I've been anxiously watching the news too, my sister and family live in Melbourne.

Yes, she irritates me to death sometimes, but she's still my only sis!:)

Love,

Last edited:

TinaT

Sep 27, 2006
Costa Blanca Spain
Thank you Jo for letting us know you are ok. What a terrible tragedy. It is hard to find words to talk abut such devastatation and loss of life on a scale such as this. Please let me know if there is an appeal fund started.

xxTinaT

Linda Mc

Jul 3, 2005
Nr Mold
I too have been watching events in Melbourne as I have two sisters and families there. I was so shocked when one of them rang me last Thursday and said some of the fires were deliberate.

They had just given a donation to the fire service in Australia in memory of our brother who had been a fireman before his retirement.

Glad you are safe Jo.

Linda x

toura

Feb 5, 2008
hertfordshire
hi jo so nice to hear from you was getting worried
so glad you ok sorry to hear about other peoples tragedy
just dont know wat to say for the best i quess there not a lot
we are all just dum founded speak to you soon val

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
Hello Jo

It's good to know that you are o.k. and you have not experienced personal loss. It is a terrible tragedy and the thought of the fire being only 10 minutes drive away:eek: You must all be in terrible shock - we are at seeing the news from such a distance.

Keep safe.

Love

zonkjonk

Mar 1, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
Hi all, as we live in the outer eastern suburbs of melbourne in a built up suburb we had no reason to worry for our safety..but the foothills to the Dandenongs are where the fire close to us was.
Its horrible watching the news now, to see what people have lost and what they have gone through. They say it wil take months to properly retreive and identify the bodies:(
There are thousands of homeless people. The red cross are assisting the homeless by providing shelter, clothes, food and water.
Some of the fires may have been started by an arsonist but not all of them.

One woman on TV last night described how during the night she could hear animals "screaming" - in the bushfire areas apart from the wildlife there are lots of pets,horses,cattle and sheep:(:(

zonkjonk

Mar 1, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
Yes Olinda is in the foothills of Mt Dandenong.
My kids went to primary chool at The Basin, which is a suburb next to Olinda
The fire in the foothills wasnt at Olinda though, it was at Ferntree Gully which is kind of on the other side of Mt Dandenong
I have lived in the eastern suburbs of Melbourne nr Mt Dandenong my whole life

zonkjonk

Mar 1, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
of course not hazel, your memory is spot on:D
tina,thanks for your kind wishes
I have always been a bit fragile emotionally, and since last saturday I have been holding myself together but i find it increasingly hard to not dwell upon the horror,the lost loved ones,photos in the paper of babies and children that were incinerated, mothers & fathers losing their young children, sons and daughters losing their parents in the most agonising way.
i just cant bear to think about it too much...but to move on...i will think about it. I cant begin to imagine the trauma,stress and grief that these people will go through now and in the upcoming months/years. as a self protective measure I am starting to turn the news off. 1 hour a day..thats all I can take for now.
Jo

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Jo, I can understand that. The bits we see on our news are traumatic enough, but for you, living in the midst of it and having it all constantly in your face and on your mind must be dreadful.

We're used to hearing reports of bush fires at this time of year, but never such devastating loss of life, homes, memories.....

You all have my deepest sympathy.

Love,