stages

CraigC

Mar 21, 2003
London
Hi Barking,

Please check out the following thread. It is not just a poll but has a wealth of information on stages and peoples views on the '7 stages' that the medical profession use.

http://www.alzheimers.org.uk/talkingpoint/discuss/showthread.php?t=1854

My personal view is that there are 100s of stages, everyone is different. But the 7 classic stages may help as a guide of needs and progression. The thread has more on this.

Kind Regards
Craig

Bookworm

Jan 30, 2009
Co. Derry
Here is a link to Brucie's thread

Hello Barking - I only knew of three until I browsed around here & found above - seems it varies depending on who is writing - but I found the seven stage model helpful as (obviously) it is more spaced out than the collapsed 3 stage model of mild, moderate & severe. Here is the general link - I can't remember where I saw the 7 stage - but it was very early on in the thread & you won't miss it. I guess when i posted earlier that i think my husband with undiagnosed dementia is stage 4 - it looks like being on the cusp between mild & moderate in a 3 stage model - but he is still very independent in most things with support & guidance & reminders.

Stage 4 to me is on the boundary where people outside the home are going to start noticing. When you think about mild & moderate I don't think you get that same sense - it sounds like you would notice it from the start - but most people don't see it for a long time.

http://www.alzheimers.org.uk/talkingpoint/discuss/showthread.php?t=1854

barking

Jan 28, 2009
sheffield
didnt help it is bad bad bad bad bad bad

mum has had a chest infection and has still got. seems as if she wants to give up seeing little people even more (yes it is the infection) no medical person seems to take any notice of them when she is without infection

Bookworm

Jan 30, 2009
Co. Derry
little people?

I'm sorry Barking - what was bad - you found your mum is at a stage more advanced than you'd thought before? Is she on antibiotics at present? I don't know what else to say tonight - but I hope you come back & post some more soon to help us & be helped yourself....

What you said suggests you are shocked by the stage you are at, in black & white on the screen & also that you are not gettting support enough to go out & together both enjoy the time you still have.

barking

Jan 28, 2009
sheffield
Misunderstanding

I meant to say that the link didnt help.
When i said bad bad etc i meant that, thats what they stages sound like to me.
3 years ago my mum had early stages of AD. At the moment she has a really bad chest infection and is giving up spending all the day in bed, she is on her second course of antibiotics.
I looked on the link and found another link which describes the stages in detail.
Looking at that she looks as if in between 5 and 6. Remembers alot of the past, but cant keep a conversation for more then 5 minutes. So tierd, So confused. Noo i dont get alot of help i am the youngest of her 4 children, and i do everything. apart from the odd days, when the rest can be bothered with thier mum. one of my syblings thinks shes okay over the phone. And baring in mind when i am there, the conversation from mum doesnt make any sense.

thanks
barking x

Last edited:

nicetotalk

Sep 22, 2006
stretford
hi all

not sure about stages although they say there is 7, never found out what type of dementia my mum had but after 4 years of being diagnozed she stoped walking eating double incontinent could not focus on anyone. Stoped talking, She remained that way for another 4 years till she passed away in hospital at the age of 62. Everyone will have a different views on stages i dont think all cases do come in 7

kathy x

ulsterbabe

Feb 4, 2009
Co Down, N Ireland
why why why

why why why did i look at that link!!!! :mad::mad:

I knew there were 7 stages of ad and i thought dad was around the 3-4 stage. BUt No No No hes actually at stage 6!!!!!:mad::mad:

I even pned mum and said to her what stage she thought dad was at and she thought the sme as me and the worse thing is there are sum points of stage 7 that fit dad!! hes 56 been diagnosed for 4 years!!

sorry for the rant just a bit of a shock!! its shuld sink in

Scottie45

Jan 25, 2009
CoAntrim
Hi Barkihg

I am so sorry to hear that your mum is not very well just now,i hope she picks up again soon.I am also sorry that you are not getting much help from your family,it is always left to the one person,have you got a social worker who can tell you what help you can get.Hope things get a bit better,take care x

barking

Jan 28, 2009
sheffield
Dear Scottie45

Thank you. And no SS at all. Had doctor out to mum today, chest infection still as bad, thought she was going to fade away:( then perked up just as the doctor came:confused: felt abit stupid for ringing him, but after reading soo many threads, its caused by AD. Pretending everything is okay, when its clearly not. And myself is looking older by the minute and feeling it.
When i left her today she looked so well.
barking x

Vonny

Feb 3, 2009
Telford
I too checked out the 7 stages, which confused me completely. Mum was only diagnosed a couple of years ago and physically she's between 6 & 7 except she's not incontinent and has always recognised her family tho she can't remember our names. So I think the person (sorry, can't remember who) who has the fabulous signature "when you've seen one person with Alzheimer's, you've seen one person with Alzheimer's" has got it right.

citybythesea

Mar 23, 2008
coast of texas
oh Lordyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!

i so feel for all of you. The stages...they are so frustrating because with AZ one day your patient may seem to be a stage 7 (and you think how long?!) The next day they wake up and seem a stage 4. The point I am trying to make is that the medical stages are for the medical field and insurance/government protocal. You as a carer need not worry about them unless you are in the process of getting help. Then keep a diary of your patient day to day. You will find that diary will help far better because then you can get the big picture. To me stage 7 means they can no longer do anything for themselves and are almost an awake coma ..if you know what I mean. I few months back someone else posted on the stages that is not a medical side..but is so much better. I will find that one and see if I can post the link.

HUGS

Nancy