Looking for advice

huntsu1

Jan 2, 2008
Blackwater
Although I rarely post I visit the site most days, I'm not sure where to start but my MIL has been in a care home for 13 months now, she was living alone but not coping at all well and although she was having careers three times a day they were very unreliable, she was not getting fed properly, and although the book said she was having a wash the soap and flannel were always dry.

She has two sons, and myself and SIL saw mum every day, taking care of shopping and generally keeping her company, the boys visited a couple of times a week due to work commitments. (both SIL and myself work full time but locally which meant that we were able to visit more often.

Things were getting bad (although now having read some of the posts on here I'm not sure if we did not jump the gun a little). We would receive phone calls early evening (sundowning?) where she would cry and be really upset, this happened almost every day. She could never remember seeing anyone, even if I had only just got back home. She would spent her days sitting in a chair
doing nothing, she wouldn't have the TV or radio on. I now now this is pretty much routine.

She was diagnosed with AZ about five years ago at the age of 80 (she has no other medical conditions) and has been on Aricept for a past two years which seems to have been of some benefit.

When the decision was made to find a care home for mum we were not too worried out the future. She had a nest egg and a house worth in excess of £300,000 (jan2008). We found her a wonderful home just 3 miles away who had immediate vacancies and she moved in, its a private home with a special floor dedicated to AZ sufferers and we could not ask for a better home, its is like a four star hotel. She has now settled and is content although her only memories are of her childhood and although she recognises us as familiar does not know our names.

Now for the advice bit... both sons have been burying there heads in the sand and the final straw came last week when the sale of her house fell through 2 days before completion for the 2nd time, she only has three months care home fees left in the bank (6,000 per month) and with no sale on the horizon we have to make some decisions. The four of us are meeting tomorrow and I would like to be able to discuss what our options are.

I believe the home will let us defer payment until the property sells (need to confirm this) but my issue is that we are going to have to take a very large drop £250,00 if we are lucky which with the interest rates being so dire at the moment is not going to last very long. (MIL is fit and healthy apart from AZ) Should we continue to keep here in her current home until she completely runs out of money and has to be funded by the SS (they would surly move her as we could not possibly pick up the difference or should we start of look around at cheaper homes so that at least we can buy her care for a longer length of time. If only we all had a crystal ball! :(

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I take it your , is in the wrong place, :) and the drop in price is £25,000.

I would still go ahead and sell. No-one knows what the future holds, SS will not be able to make any promises, and your mother`s future is secure for now.

If it`s any comfort, my mother`s money ran out and SS did let her stay in the same home. I know it`s not the same everywhere but this is just one example.

Sandy

Mar 23, 2005
Hi huntsu1,

I can only say that we have been trying to sell my mother-in-law's bungalow since May 2008. We've had one potential sale fall down in that period, but now seem to have a serious buyer and the sale seems to be proceeding.

In today's market you could be talking about coming down by £25,000 or coming down to £250,000. You really need to be guided by your estate agent, but be clear on how quickly you want to acheive a sale.

In our case, we lowered the advertised asking price by 10% after 4 months and the negotiated sale price with our current buyer is more like 17% off the original asking price. We do not need a quick sale to pay care home fees, but as we live some distance from the property, would prefer to see it sold within 12 months of going on the market.

Have you used the Right Move web site to see what other properites are listed for: http://www.rightmove.co.uk/? I found this a really good way of tracking what other properties were coming on the market and how fast they were listed as Sold STC.

As for moving to another, lower-cost home I would say there's no harm in investigating this on paper, but an actual move would be the last thing that I would want to contemplate. Just looking back to the posts that you made at the time of her move into the home:

http://www.alzheimers.org.uk/talkingpoint/discuss/showthread.php?p=114813#post114813

is a good reminder of how fortunate you all are that she is happy there and how frought the whole process was at the time.

Take care,

Sandy

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
I can't speak to property prices, except to say that I think you do have to be realistic in any market: a property is worth what someone else is prepared to pay, and a fast sale will sometimes involve a discount (both of which came into play when I sold Mummy's house).

However, my feeling is life is uncertain. While you think your MIL could live many many more years, AD is itself a progressive terminal illness. As it progresses she may become eligible for NHS fully funded care, or at the very least the registered nursing care contribution. You might also look into purchasing a long term care policy to make up the shortfall between her income and the fees.

FInally if her money did run out and you were relying on the LA to pay the bill and they did make her move, it's possible that by that time she would be unable to take advantage of the social aspects of her existing home so that it might make little difference to her.

Just some thoughts.

huntsu1

Jan 2, 2008
Blackwater
Thank you all, I think I knew the answer and I can think a bit clearer now, this morning when I realised she only had enough money for another 4 months I just panicked, we will put the house back on the market, perhaps this time with more than one agent and see what happens, I will make an appointment on monday to let the nursing home know of the situation. I am sure we will not be the first to have temporarily run out of funds.

Perhaps adopting the attitude 'cross that bridge when we come to it' is a good one, for now and hopefully for a few more years her place is secure, she is very content and happier than we have seen her in a number of years.

TinaT

Sep 27, 2006
Costa Blanca Spain
I can well understand your earlier panic. You have enough to worry about without worrying about your mum's finances! How I wish we could get an equitable law which prevented such situations in the first place.

I'm so glad that you have taken a deep breath, counted to ten and started all over again. Well done you. Take a day at a time, easier said than done!

xxTinaT