Clenched Hands

jolynn

Sep 11, 2008
My mother is currently in hospital with an infected hand because she started clenching her hands and no one could get her to open them to wash them, she is going to have to have an operation, has anyone else experience of this. She is very elderly and I am very worried about her.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello jolynn

I know nothing about clenched hands I`m sorry. I`ve seen arthritic clenched hands and the clenched hands of children with cerebral palsy, and can understand that they may become infected if not kept clean and dry.

Have you discussed your fears for her with her doctor? I think that would be your best bet.

I`m sorry I can`t help. Perhaps someone else will be able to, but it`s a bit late now and you may have to wait till tomorrow.

Bookworm

Jan 30, 2009
Co. Derry
Have they said what caused the clenching of hands - is it carpal tunnel syndrome? (pressure on a nerve in the hand that needs an op to release it)

No one likes surgery - but what makes you think your mother is too ill for surgey?? Is this a minor operation? Perhaps you would feel less worried if you know what the aftercare might be - e.g. how she will cope with washing when she won't be able to wet her hands for a period of time. Will she have normal movement of the hands after the wounds heal? These are the kinds of questions you need to have answered & of course you are worried without the answers.

I think information is everything here - see if you are still so worried once you have spoken with the doctors (I'm hoping not) - come back to let us know how you get on.

Dawn12

Feb 3, 2009
kent
I've just joined TP,as my mother has dementia, she like your mother clenches her left hand, at times I think its almost like it doesn't belong to her. If I give her something in her left hand she 'loses' it. Is the operation just to clean your mothers hand or are they doing something about the clenching its self?:

alfjess

Jul 10, 2006
south lanarkshire
Hi Jolynn

My Dad has been clenching his left hand for a few months now.

Why? I don't know. When sometimes I try to unclench it for him, he will indicate symptoms of pain, but then, he unclenches it himself.

I flagged this to the staff in care home and Dad was referred to the GP.

Dad was prescribed antibiotics again for an infection of his nail. His nurse thinks that Dad's nail is better, but his fist is still clenched.

I personally think that this, is a progression/regression, of the disease. Dad can open his fist, but doesn't

Love
Alfjess

Lucy O

Jul 4, 2005
My mother had clenched hands - I always thought it was due to arthritis, but now reading these posts I guess it may not have been! Her carers used to massage her hands and that helped with unclenching them. We also used cotton buds and strips of lint to try to clean her hands/fingers.
Hope that it is sorted out without an operation.
Lucy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laneyd