any success stories with direct payments?

Mjaqmac

Mar 13, 2004
Hi

things are looking up I was contacted today by someone from the carer's trust they have referred me on for a carer's assessment and an assessment of dad's needs.
The guy I spoke to suggested direct payments might be something suitable for my situation. I know this is more or less employing someone of our choice to help out but am a bit dubious about how to find someone and acting as an 'employer'. Would anyone recommend this way of doing things, how in easy terms does it work.
Thanks again for everyone's help you have all made me move to take some action.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello Magic

Direct Payments was suggested to me by one of the Mental Health Team, because my husband is resistant to anyone coming in to sit with him.

But we have only lived here a short while and throught, my husband has had Alzheimers so we have been unable to get to know people.

I personally only feel it would work if you know someone really well who would like to take the role of sitter/companion. Even so it probably involves paperwork, which would be another burden.

I`m only guessing, I might be wrong, so sorry if I`m misleading you.

jenny48

Sep 19, 2008
Hi Magic

I was offered direct payment quite a few months ago I was told at the time that I would have to employ someone and therefore would be responsible for their income tax (if applicable) their nat.ins. the whole lot, also firstly I would have to open a bank account just for the direct payments and keep paperwork up to date at all times. Personally I did not fancy going that route as I realy didnt like the idea of the paperwork and also finding someone willing to take it on (someone that you trust 100%) was rather daunting, when you think about it I thought it was just saving SS having to do it themselves.

Other people will most likely have other ideas and will be on line to assist you, good luck in the meantime whichever way you choose to go.

Jenny:)

taylorcat

Jun 18, 2006
W.Scotland
direct payments

I receive Direct Payments for my son, who has special needs. Whilst I don't employ anyone directly, the money is used to pay for an after school club he attends.

I have very little paperwork. The only requirement is that you open a separate bank account for the payment to be paid into and then every 3 months you submit your bank statements to show the money going in and coming out.

Mjaqmac

Mar 13, 2004
You see coping with dad alone 24/7 plus looking after my 2 year old and also my part time job are enough to try to cope with, I'm rubbish with paperwork and figures I think that would be all too stressful. All I want is someone to sit with dad for a few hours on a sunday, the rest of the week i can tolerate and I do everything even his personal care myself, at the moment i just need to spend some time alone with my son and husband once a week before my marriage collapses completely.

julieann15

Jun 13, 2008
Leicestershire
I have been successful

Hi
We have direct payments for mum. SS pay £40 a week ie £160 a month into mum's account and she uses it to pay the Age Concern lady to take fher out for 3 hours on a Thursday morning at £10 an hour- the other £10 is to cover petrol/expenses incurred. we have been doing this now for over 6 months and it works well- others may not have been so lucky

Julie xx

Last edited:

heartbroken

Feb 17, 2008
derbyshire
Hi I work for a lady through direct payments also my dad got them for Edna and I worked for him, it worked very well you don't have to work out tax etc if you use a payroll it is very easy, very little papperwork I love it as its flexable its worked well for us.

the ss will help you find someone they did for the lady I work for because Edna had gone into a home they recommended me as they knew how I worked with Edna.

its well worth looking into

Lucy O

Jul 4, 2005
Direct Payments are brilliant!

Dear Magic
We used direct payments to pay for my mother's care for over 5 years, until she died last July. There is so little paper work that I had to ring and double check that I had done all I should! I was lucky enough to find carers who were self employed so didn't have to worry re tax etc, but you can also use the direct payments to pay for someone from an agency - again no worries re tax etc. In Suffolk we had someone to help advertise, interview, give advice - connected to the direct payments team, check with your Social worker as hopefully there should be one in your area.
Good Luck, I know that to begin with it seems like a lot of paperwork, but once it is all started it's great.
Lucy

ulsterbabe

Feb 4, 2009
Co Down, N Ireland
Direct Payments

Hi Mjaqmac

I too live in Northern ireland and have had direct payments set in place from Oct of last year, My father has early onset Dementia so there were no social activities that were suitable for him, I get 6 hrs a week so I can employ someone to take take out, it was daunting in the beginning but TBH its very easy if you contact the Centre of Independant Living in Belfast they are fantastic and will ans all your questions and concerns and even help you get things set up, they were a godsend for me.

Good Luck:p

maryw

Nov 16, 2008
Surrey
We used Direct Payments for my Mum and it worked brilliantly. We paid the Disability Centre £10 a month admin for the payroll. Mum's Carer loved her job as it included holiday pay, sickness pay (which she never took) and, after my Mum's death, redundancy.

You also know who is coming in and you can build up a good relationship with the Carer. There is also huge flexibility over the job role - our Carer helped with loads of things, which a Social Services carer might be banned from doing!

It worked for us.

rhallacroz

Sep 24, 2007
merseyside
Go for it.....

Hi There
Direct Payments are the best thing since sliced bread!!!! Do not be put off by a bit of paper work it is so simple. I have been using Direct Payments for my dad for a year and now mum needs that support as well so I manage both their packages and carers. It is truly wonderful.
Do you have a carers support centre.
I employ 2 personal assistants and also an agency to cover some hours. My mums Personal assistants are like close friends now. The job is rewarding for them as they see dad benefitting from regular faces they know all his likes and dislikes his behaviours. There really is no other way that I could think of caring for dad.
With dementia it is so important for carers to be able to have time . I find with agency staff they are alloted a time that they might turn up well this just didn;t work for me.
With a personal assistant she knows exactly when it is possible to get dad into bed when he is co operative.,when he is likely to eat, etc etc.
I am delighted with Direct payments. At first I put a small advert in the local paper and I also went to my local carers centre and looked through various CVs. I then interviewed a few and found the right one.
Give it a try it is wonderful.
Good luck
Angela.
PS Sorry if this reply is a little disjointed I have also been watching Terry Pratchett at the same time. Wasn;t it good.!!

Nutty Nan

Nov 2, 2003
Buckinghamshire
Do it!!

Dear Magic,
I can totally recommend Direct Payments: the paperwork is perfectly manageable, and you will be able to get help with it if you feel you need it.
I did not fancy finding carers by way of advertising, as I worried about continuity and backup if things did not work out particularly well (I needed cover while I was out at work, so it had to be reliable). I had carers through an agency, and I paid their bill monthly, from the Direct Payments which were paid into a dedicated bank account. Easy!
This gave me the freedom to request changes as things developed, and my husband had a number of people who got to know him quite well.
Do it: the few hours freedom you gain will give you the strength to carry on.
Hope it works out for you - you so deserve a break!!

Mjaqmac

Mar 13, 2004
Thank you all so much.
Now I feel quite hopeful that I might find someone nice and reliable who could also be dad's friend over time.
No one wants to hear anything about dad in the family they think I should just cope because I did with mum and because I live with dad so you don't know how much this means to me to be able to have people who understand listen and offer help and support.
THANK YOU SO MUCH.

I am having a carer's assessment soon and I will ask about getting direct payments, thanks also to Ulster Babe for the great advice, I will contact that centre.
x

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jprollet