attendance allowance

sag

Nov 26, 2007
has any body claimed attendance allowance? how do i go about it pls.

ella24

Nov 9, 2008
South Coast UK
Hiya

Just sorting for my dad.

you need to contact the DWP. You can either call them for a form on 0800882200 or do it online (try direct.gov.uk)

if you phone today, they will backdate your claim as of today's date

good luck

e

julieann15

Jun 13, 2008
Leicestershire
When applying-you need to paint it as black as it is- ie what the person cannot do unaided eg meds, cooking, personal hygiene in order to get the higher rate. Once you have it then council tax is reduced to 0 with a form from the doctors- we actually paid a friend of ours to write it for us- she had done about 20 over the last 2 years and all got the higher rate

Julie xx

Amber 5

Jan 20, 2009
Berkshire
Yes, I've just sent one off for my mum and was told by my SIL who works for DSS to make sure I wrote down the worst case scenarios. I must say I didn't enjoy doing it - found it all quite depressing thinking of how mum is doing - but there again, she should be entitled to it after working all her life.
Good luck with yours.
Gill x

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
It is very VERY important to fill it out as a worst case scenario. Thinks about the things your caree has done occasionally and assume that all of these things could happen at the same time. This is not the time to be protective, this is the time for brutal honesty. I filled it out on my own and got top rate, but other people have consulted Age Concern and the Alzheimer's Society and got assistance in filling out the forms, so if you're not used to form filling, that might be a couple of places to start. Whatever you do, don't minimize the difficulties. As an example, your caree may be able to dress themselves, may actually insist on dressing themselves, but if it takes them hours when it should take minutes then they need assistance dressing and that should be put on the form. Also, you have, to get the top rate, to show a need for help both night and day, although that help does not need to be continuous.

gigi

Nov 16, 2007
East Midlands
Hello Sag

I absolutely agree with Jennifer...
to show a need for help both night and day, although that help does not need to be continuous.

When I applied on Eric's behalf he really only occasionally needed night assistance....and/or supervision...

At first it was refused because we had no definite diagnosis.

Once there was a confirmed diagnosis there was no problem...

Which is one of the reasons why it's important to have a diagnosis.

Love gigi xx

Norman

Oct 9, 2003
Birmingham Hades
I too filled in my wife's and got the top rate.
Do not forget the backdating.
If you have have needed help for 6 months it will be backdated.
Norman
PS
I did not understand ,the council tax was 0 ?

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
I think the reference to council tax was due to the fact that in order to get the council tax reduction for severe mental disability you need to ALSO be receiving AA or DLA. It's only zero, of course, if the person you care for lives alone.

sag

Nov 26, 2007
thank you all

thanks for advice on claiming AA will get on to it and let you know how i do.
not looking forward to filling it in but if it means we can keep mum at home longer then it will be worth it.

Sam Iam

Sep 29, 2008
WEST OF THE MOON
Sag, I got AA for my Mum, I got low rate as Mum is still able to dress & wash and sleeps through the night and I am Mum's appointee. which means that I can speak to the DWP on Mum's behalf. The AA can also up'd to high rate at such times as Mum needs more help. xx

icare2

Jun 18, 2006
scotland
will we never learn after all this time!!!

as soon as anyone is diagnosed with this dreadful illness,there should be a package put together,for the welfare and the rights for them,I mean not just the benefits they are entitled too but the WHOLE PACKAGE.

FROM SOCIAL SERVICES IN YOUR LOCAL AREA,WITH EXPERIENCED WORKERS IN THIS ILLNESS.!! THAT IS IMPORTANT EXPERIENCE!!

AS ALL CARE FUNDING!! MUST START WITH A SOCIAL WORKER!!! TO PUT IN FOR THIS!!

IN MY OWN EXPERIENCE I LEARNED WITH MY MISTAKES,TOO MANY PEOPLE EVEN DOCTORS NURSES HAVE NOT A CLUE ABOUT ANY HELP THAT IS AVAILABLE,EVEN THE MODERATORS IN HERE ARE NOT UP TO THE FULL HELP THAT IS AVAILABLE, THO IM SURE THEY TRY THERE BEST..

YOUR LOCAL PRINCESS TRUST CAN HELP WITH MOST PROBLEMS,WITH THIS ILLNESS

lesmisralbles

Account Closed
Nov 23, 2007
Hello icare2

YOUR LOCAL PRINCESS TRUST CAN HELP WITH MOST PROBLEMS,WITH THIS ILLNESS

I shall contact them tomorrow.
Thank you:)

barb X