morphine patches

mailife49

Oct 21, 2004
uk
hello all....... I've just heard that my mother has been put on morphine patches to ease the pain they think she's suffering from....she has bursitis on her bottom and I noticed her flinching a lot when the nurses moved her to her wheelchair to go to the bathroom or whatever.... she's 91 and marvellous really - still tries to repeat what we say when we go to see her...... I last saw my mother towards the middle of August and had some quite good visits but now I've heard from one of my sisters that she's had another fall (that makes 3 since the hip operation).

She' s quite lucid though and knows family members....... and even says how she takes her tea - milk and sugar thank you.

Can you give me any suggestions as to what this will mean, you see she can't actually say she's in pain and as she'd been so agitated they realised she was in pain and calling out for her mother as she does....... and help me , help me......

My poor mother , the most giving person you can imagine......and what does she get - this agonising illness.

I wonder if they'll just use a couple of patches and see how it goes , then try and wean her off them.......you see she doesn't respond well to pain killers at all!
Even last year when she was better.... and she's SO thin, it's awful to see her like that - as last year she was a lovely size and much much better , relatively speaking of course.

My sister was very helpful and said (I phoned) she'd let me know at the end of the weekend how things are.

bye for now,
mailife49

mailife49

Oct 21, 2004
uk
how is she now?

Dear Leah,
hi and thanks for your interest in my mother's health.

Well, to tell you the truth I have been keeping it cool and not trying to bother my family too much (as they are in the thick of it)........ I DID phone the nursing home once just after my brother had got in touch with me to keep me informed about the new change in medication.

The NH staff are very co-operative and caring and one girl told me that she had been eating better and had just had a visit from her son (my brother). I'm not sure if she's up and about , in fact that's got me a bit concerned, as it's not good if she's in bed too long, but depends how much energy she has doesn't it. As long as she's comfy....... .

Will let you know how things go after I get in touch with my family, which will probably be tomorrow.

As one of my sisters said to me on the phone, she can be better for a while and then suddenly not be so good the following day or whatever, it's just typical of this disease....... and she IS , bless her, 91.

when my sister mentioned my name, she said, oh Spain........ as she knows i'm in spain......see the vascular dementia doesn't affect the speech so much - she tries really hard and repeats what we say, in perfect imitation not jibberish ever..........
a wonderful woman who's had a wonderful life although a rather unwonderful ending to it, I would say.

all the best,
mailife49