Request for volunteers to test run a questionnaire on care in hospitals

Louise Lakey

Apr 19, 2007
Dear all,

The policy team is going to be running a new research project on the care of people with dementia on a general hospital ward (across the UK).

The aim of the new project is to ensure that people with dementia in a general hospital setting receive good quality care appropriate for both their physical and mental health needs.

I’m going to be collecting new information on the experiences of people with dementia and carers via a questionnaire.

I’d like to give my draft questions a test run before sending them out more widely. I’m now looking for willing volunteers (people with dementia and carers) who have some experience of care in a hospital for a condition other than dementia.

· The draft questionnaire will be ready in mid-February. I will send this by post.
· I’d like to give people around two weeks to look at this and send it back to me. Then I would like to ring people up and discuss what they thought of the questionnaire.
· For example, was the questionnaire suitable for both people with dementia and carers to fill in? Did it ask relevant questions or did you want to write something but had nowhere to put it? Was it too long?

This project is part of the Putting Care Right campaign, which aims to improve the quality of care that people with dementia receive. The campaign began with the publication of Home from Home, which investigated dementia care in care homes.

This project is being led by Louise Lakey. If you would be willing to take part in this first phase or would like any further information please contact Louise by responding to this thread or emailing her privately on Talking Point. Or contact Louise at the Society:

Louise.lakey@alzheimers.org.uk
020 7423 3581

Many thanks for your help,
Louise

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
I'd be interested in that, Louise.

I've been involved in a project to improve care in our local hospital, which is now at draft report stage.

I don't think the fact that I'm in Scotland would be a drawback for this kind of project?

sue38

Mar 6, 2007
Wigan, Lancs
Happy to help with that. I presume you will send the questionnaire by email to the email address held by TP?

Louise Lakey

Apr 19, 2007
That's wonderful, thank you very much Hazel and Sue.

I'll kep in touch regarding the date that I'll be sending the draft questionnaire to you but I'm looking at about the 13th or 16th at the moment. I can email this to you at your preferred email address or I can post this to you. Very happy to do either.

If any other Talking Point members would be willing to be involved in commenting on the draft questionnaire, I'd love to hear from you.

Many thanks, Louise

gigi

Nov 16, 2007
East Midlands
Hello Louise,

I'd very much like to help with this..

I’m now looking for willing volunteers (people with dementia and carers) who have some experience of care in a hospital for a condition other than dementia.

I'm an RGN ....recently retired to care for my husband with AD...and have worked in hospitals and General Practice...

Look forward to hearing from you.

Tender Face

Account Closed
Mar 14, 2006
NW England
who have some experience of care in a hospital for a condition other than dementia.

Hi Louise, more than happy to help in any 'Awareness' issue - but could you clarify 'other than dementia' ... (i.e. my assumption is that given the audience and the AS initiative it means 'alongside dementia'?)

Is this to compare hospital care for non-dementia patients, dementia carers, patients hospitalised for 'purely' dementia needs or dementia patients with 'AN other' condition'?

I trust it is that type of clarity you are seeking and all possible avenues for different interpretations prior to launching a questionnaire into its next phase for which I hugely applaud you ..to reach its initial remit ..........????

Personal details on way (again!) ..... needless to say ... I could not personally back this sort of initiative enough ......

Well done, Karen, x

Louise Lakey

Apr 19, 2007
Hello all,

Thank you so much to everyone for such a fantastic response. I greatly appreciate your help. I will be in touch with everyone individually nearer the time, to let you know when I'm sending the questionnaire and to clarify what happens next. I'll be sending it in mid-Februray.

Thank you for the comments Karen - that's exactly the sort of stuff I need! I need to be really clear about this on the questionnaire. I'm investigating the quality of dementia care that nurses provide to people with dementia, who have gone into hospital for a condition other than their dementia. It seems that whilst the care provided for the physical condition can be good, the care that an individual needs for their dementia is neglected (for example helping people to eat if need be). We want to be able to advise hosptials on how they can improve the dementia care part. Hope this makes sense - I need to phrase that in a shorter way on the questionnaire!

I'll be in touch with everyone soon,
Louise

melodyanslow

Feb 12, 2009
kent
Hello I Would Love To Help Out With This Having Spent So Many Times With My Mum. Who Has Dementia. When She Has Had To Go Into Hospital. Regards Melody Anslow.

Welsh Colleen

Mar 23, 2009
Wales
Test run questionaire for care in hospitals

I am new to the forum. My mother has vascular dementia, but was recently taken to hospital for a chest infection. I was made to feel very bad as I didn't want her to stay overnight, but after talking to Mum and being reassured I left. The next day when I saw how she had been looked after I was so angry and felt so guilty. They just had no idea of her needs. This was her second vist recently to hospital but we discharged her the first time (different health scare, different hospital). I would be very willing to participate

Recent Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jackiejan