I am finding it hard

mum of two

Oct 3, 2008
beccles
Hi Cate,
It wouldn't be practical for mum to be collected as she is unable to straighten her leg where the hip was broken . They slid her from one bed to another.
Do you mean mum going to a day care centre while she is still in hospital. As they are waitng for the people who make the special chairs to go to their bunglow & measure up. Which we have been told could take a bit of time.
Who would I have to ask about it ?
I know that my Dad will give looking after Mum his best shot. She means the world to him.
Well take care , I can't write much more as my head is still a little funny with this cold that i got from my daughter on Thursday..

Mum of Two

fredsnail

Dec 21, 2008
Mum of Two,

The staff at the hospital where Grandad was knew about day centres and also put us in touch with a Social Worker.

You could possibly ring your local council - they run day centres so should know when they're run and where. They may also be able to advise about transport.

Hope you recover from your cold soon too.

mum of two

Oct 3, 2008
beccles
Hi Fredsnail,
My Dad asked the nurses about day care . I don't know how he got on. I don't even know if my Mum would go. It would mean she wouldn't see my Dad & she seems to depend on seeing him. No one else goes to see her apart from her family & a neighbour which is sad.
When I saw her the other day she kept talking about things that weren't happening. As I left though I told her that I loved her alot & she said that she knew. It made me feel happy & sad.
I really hope that the chair fits & my Dad is able to cope with alot of help & Mum can come home for a while at least.
My cold isd almost better I just have a cough. take care of yourself.

Mum of Two:)

fredsnail

Dec 21, 2008
Hi Mum of two

Would it be possible for Dad to go to Day Care too? I don't know as Grandad is widowed but may be worth asking. Or are there any clubs that they can go together to? Or maybe just day care for 1 or 2 days a week?

Grandad has been talking about things that haven't happened continually for the last few months - but the last few weeks that is all he's talked about. Last week I went to see him and he was standing talking to thin air - he thought he was talking to my brother. It's very hard to watch - especially as he frightens himself that people are after him and are plotting to kidnap/murder him. We try to distract him - but sometimes he doesn't want to be distracted.

I'll keep my fingers crossed that the chair fits :)

I'm glad to hear your cold is better as many of them are lingering this year.

fs

foxhound

Jun 26, 2008
Go for it. My mother (then 83) broke her hip, totally immobile while on the ward, I pulled her home, a really brilliant community physio had her walking within a fortnight. Sure it hasn't all been plain sailing, but God it was the right thing to do.

mum of two

Oct 3, 2008
beccles
Thanks Fredsnail,
That is an idea & I will mention it to my Dad. Yes Mum talks to people who aren't there , it is hard to watch & I think that it is better to go with them. Then slowly change the subject.When ever I think about my Mum which is most of the time it's about the good times i spent with her . I know that I can't bring them back but I will always have them to remember. I have a note pad which my Mum gave me a while ago, I use it to write my thoughts about the dementia & how I miss my Mum. I looked back last night at what I had first written it brought tears to my eyes.
yes I am pleased that my cold is almost better , take care .

thanks Foxhound,
It would be good if we had a result like that. She would be able to come & see me. we have to wait & see about the chair . It would be really great if she was able to sit normally & didn't need a special chair.
take care

Margaret W

Apr 28, 2007
North Derbyshire
So, mum of two, me being a bit brash, excuse me. You want a special chair for your mum, and both mum and dad to go to a day centre for some jollity, you need mum to be picked up for dialysis and brought back pronto, not waiting for three hours. See if you can get at least some of that organised.

Our local village has a volunteer centre and they will transport people to hospital for the cost of the petrol. I wonder if you have one in your area that will fetch your mum back after dialysis to save the long wait. Or even get a taxi if it is not too costly.

Just ideas. I hope you manage to get something in place.

Margaret

mum of two

Oct 3, 2008
beccles
Hi Margaret,
Well my Mum needs a special chair as she can't straighten her leg. It is better than it was & it would be great to see it in a normal position.She has to sit in a specail chair but I wish tht she could sit in a normal one. We can only hope.
She couldn't get a taxi back from hospital as she goes in an ambulance. She is transported from her hospital bed to a bed that goes in the ambulance.
My son made a video the other day of our house & her bunglow . He took it to the hospital & showed tit to my Mum she liked watching it although she did loss concentration from time to time. I took some photos to show her which she seemed to like.
I have suggested to my Dad that he takes some up to show her but I don't think he has .

Mum of Two