Advice please

cris

Aug 23, 2006
Chelmsford
Advice anyone please.
I have not been here for sometime so forgive me for being cheeky.
I care for Susan,(dementia)and she started having seizures last year. The 3rd on 7th Dec,4th seizure on 26th and one today in front of myself and our GP that I had called out.
I called him as since 7th Dec Susan mobility is virtually zero. Her balance is poor. I physically carry her up the stairs, but she, this week has started sleeping 18 to 21 hours a day which does not give me time to feed her and more importantly drink.
Hence calling the doctor. Called him yesterday but he said she should be ok, see what today brings.
Today I was still concerned so he came out to our home. We had to wake her up gently and while he was examining she went into a fit. The same as the other occasions.
My problem is she is still asleep, basically 27 hours apart from the examination. The day before was about 19 hrs.The seizure has put her back into another deep sleep it seems, and I am desperate to give her the medication.
Can anyone add if this is very bad, or may things go back to as they were.
Anyone experienced this before please.
She has no speech, no abilities at all, and difficulty chewing her food. Sometimes chokes on her drink.
thanks to all
cris

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
She has no speech, no abilities at all, and difficulty chewing her food. Sometimes chokes on her drink
this is normal with late stage dementia, though from what you say, the descent to this stage has been rapid.

One might expect this with the seizures, which cause a different decline from the normal long slow one of Alzheimer's.

Only the doctor, seeing her in the flesh, can make a sensible judgement though.

In your place, I'd be keeping a diary of her times awake, food eaten, medications given, seizures that happen [and effects at the time]. That might help a doctor who only sees the patient occasionally.

Sorry, no practical help possible.....

cris

Aug 23, 2006
Chelmsford
Well it has not really been rapid to this stage Bruce. She was diagnosed in 2001 & I became full time carer in March 2005. We have had a wheel chair since August. I have feed Susan for several years now, and giving her drinks with a straw. She has needed help and support walking also for some time. I have feed & dressed her for years. We have had a bath lift for a couple of years. It has become worse since the seizures particularly the December bout. Is that rapid, I honestly do not know. When she is up she now slumps head on knees. She is aware of what is said to her I think. She will still pucker for a kiss when I ask, and smiles at me when I tell her I love her.
I am not sure if these are the final months / years or if the seizures have created a temporary problem.
thanks for your reply Bruce.
cris

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
I am not sure if these are the final months / years
that is the huge question we all end up asking, and there is no answer, unfortunately.

All I can suggest is to keep the doctor informed - diary still useful! Also observe and act in reaction to what you see. Don't assume anything, either good or bad. Just accept and react. Make things as good as they can be.... its all you can do.

...just my thoughts.....

Sam Iam

Sep 29, 2008
WEST OF THE MOON
Cris,
I have no medical training but have worked with epilepsy and when a person has a severe seizure they usually do sleep for along time afterwards.

Has your GP given Susan medication for the seizures?

I mean this kindly and mean no offence (especially after the week I have just experianced with Mum) but some times the people who care the most dont notice the changes that occur in our loved ones in the course of this monster of a disease.

Cris take good care of yourself xx