Simple TV remote

johne

Jan 8, 2008
Essex
Does anyone know of an easy to use replacement TV remote. Ideally it should have only on/off and channel selection with everything else (even volume +/-)hidden under a difficult to remove cover and have to be held only one way round so it points away from the user.
My Dad's current TV control has 25+ small black buttons with tiny labels and can be picked up pointing in the wrong direction as both ends look similar. I realise it's only a faint hope that he'll be able to learn to work any 'new' control, but as he can't work his current 'unfriendly' one I think it's worth trying. I've seen one called a Weemote Sr, but it seems to be only in the USA.
Thanks,
John.

DianeB

May 29, 2008
nottinghamshire
I know this may sound silly but have you seen the really large remotes around. They have got to be around 10 inches in length and 5 inches wide. All the numbers etc are large so can be read very easy. I don't think they are expensive either.

KenC

Mar 24, 2006
Co Durham
Having looked at these things over the years, I have come to the conclusion that many are set up by the TV and accessory companies, and do not like gadgets that they are not set up for in the factory. So we end up with a bucket load of remote controls which only work one thing.

The only answer is to find a local and friendly tv shop who will give you advice.I have had more success in the local town or village shops where the staff have to set these things up on a regular basis, admittedly a lot of theew have now gone out of business but it is wirth trying.

Most of the big wholesalers are full of people who are just there to sell the goods, but do not have very much knowledge about the items they are selling, which to me is very wrong.
I suppose the problem is that these people move from one department to another and therefore do not require much knowledge about any particular item of stock.

Best Wishes
Ken

nmintueo

Jun 28, 2011
UK
Simple television remote

Does anyone know of an easy to use replacement TV remote.

RNIB have this:

Easy-to-see universal remote control
http://www.rnib.org.uk/shop/Pages/ProductDetails.aspx?category=TV_remote_controls&productID=DR0301

DR0301.jpg

Doro HandleEasy 321rc
Easy universal remote control
http://www.doro.co.uk/products/Assistive-devices/321RC/

User discussion:
http://forum.alzheimers.org.uk/show...nt-you-love-em&p=510288&viewfull=1#post510288

Last edited:

nmintueo

Jun 28, 2011
UK
Last edited:

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
I'm not entirely sure that last one (flipperremote) will work in the UK. The others though - quite possible I think, so thanks for posting.

nmintueo

Jun 28, 2011
UK
Flipper remote

Since my previous posting, I've bought a Flipper for use in the UK and I'm very pleased with it.

I've used it with Freeview and analogue TVs on their own, and it works perfectly with the ones I've tried:

• Panasonic TX-L37G10B (2009)
  • Panasonic TX-22LT2 (2002)
  • Sony KDL-32CX523 (2011)
  • Sony KV-21LT1U (~2000)
  • Toshiba 32AV615DB (2010)
  • LG 32LD320 (2011)

The Flipper manual lists codes for each brand. With all these TVs, it worked with the first code in the list.

When you know the code for your model, it's very easy to program the remote. In the case of those Sony models, for example, the code is 121. So to set up the Flipper, you just hold down the "TV" programming button a few seconds until the light stays on, press 121, and you're done. Optionally, you can then punch in a lock code so it can't accidentally be reprogrammed.

I also have a very old Beko TV. That brand isn't listed, but with the Flipper's learning mode, I got all the buttons to work by learning from the Beko's remote (BEKO RC 51323). It took a little persistence and a few minutes, but it wasn't difficult. One detail: to change up through several channels, I had to press the channel change button several times, not just hold it down. So it didn't duplicate the Beko remote's behaviour exactly, but was still perfectly usable.

We had to replace our mother's old analogue TV before the digital switchover hits her area. She certainly finds a modern digital TV and its remote too complicated, but was able to work the Flipper right away without anyone showing her what to do.

Then what she found confusing was having too many channels. You could of course edit the channel list on the TV (we've done that). You can also program a list of favourite channels into the Flipper, in whichever order you like. That way, you could still have the full set of channels on the TV, but changing channels with the Flipper would only give you the subset. (I've now tried that feature as well - works fine).

The Flipper has a slide-down panel covering the programming buttons and numeric keypad. You can lock the programming buttons against tampering, but the numeric keypad still works, so that could be useful for someone who is still able to use a numeric keypad.

Since these simplified remotes only give access to the basic functions, you'll need to be sure that you configure the TV so it won't come up with any prompts that require a menu response, such as asking if you want to update the software or add new channels. It's easy to disable those on the modern Panasonic and Sony models. I expect you can do the same with most TVs, but I don't know.

One of the features of the Flipper is the ability to work two devices together - a TV with a set-top box. The only set-top box I've been able to try it out with is an old, discarded Philips Freeview receiver. I got the Flipper to change channels on that OK, but I couldn't get it to turn both devices on and off together. That particular Philips box has a rather eccentric design with its own remote (channel-change button to turn on; power button to turn off), so perhaps it was a lot to ask.

I enquired from the supplier before I bought, and he said:

"In the UK, we do have sales. TVs, like Sony, are generally okay, though set top boxes may or may not be depending on the brand. Manufacturers have developed different code sets for different regions. Another challenge for a product like Flipper!"

I also mentioned the Doro, and he said, "We believe Flipper adds functionality not present in the Doro, tho Doro has a good reputation as well".

(For full disclosure: In the case of the LG, I tried it in a store where all the display models were locked to a DVI feed, so I couldn't actually change channels; the TV simply popped up a message that that function wasn't available in that mode.)

HC-FLIPPER.jpg

http://www.flipperremote.com

Flipper now in the UK
http://flipperremote.com/2013/10/17/flipper-now-uk/

Last edited:

nmintueo

Jun 28, 2011
UK
More 'simple' TV remote controls

As well as the Doro, Flipper and Tek Pal, here's a site offering a few other big-button or simplified designs:

http://www.largeprintreviews.com/product_assistive_remote.html

Those don't strike me as great designs, but some people may like them.

Here's one designed for children. The concept here is that it only gives access to selected channels, and has buttons for favourite channels ("8 preprogrammed channel keys; 2 customizable channel keys", so I'd guess unlikely to be useful in the UK). I like the concept, if not the design, and I'm surprised there aren't more offerings based on that idea.

... I've seen one called a Weemote Sr, but it seems to be only in the USA.

Yes, although I see you can find it now through ebay in the UK (prices including delivery from £12 to £50).

The Weemote was designed for children, then they introduced a version in sober colours and called it the 'Weemote Sr' (review here). It also has a small number of buttons that you set for your favourite channels.

One interesting feature I haven't seen anywhere else is: "Setup Options: Favorite Channel 1 applied to Power Button" - in other words, I think you can set it so that whenever you turn the TV on, it's always at that channel. That's such an obviously desirable option that one wonders why it isn't universal already.

Now Sony have introduced this one (also aimed at children), with just on/off, volume, and seven preset-channel buttons. And it's available in the UK for a tenner including delivery.

"RM-KZ1T Easy to preset universal TV remote for kids"

Update [July 2012]: It was available at that price, but now Sony's discontinuing it and it's harder to get. That's a real pity; I love this product, and I've really found nothing comparable. The Flipper (above) still works beautifully for us, but a key advantage with this Sony remote is that you can go directly to your chosen channel, instead of having to cycle through them and stop when you find the right one. It has some really good features, well-designed, nice to handle, and inexpensive - what more could anyone ask?

I wasn't sure if my mum would be able to adjust to it, and her reaction on first sight was 'it's a phone'. But once she realised it was controlling the TV, she caught on immediately. She just got it. It was quite heartening, really.

Argos seem to be flogging off their remaining stock through 'Argos Outlet' on ebay for £4.99. But you can't find it by model number; search for "SONY CHILDREN'S TV REMOTE CONTROL".

Samsung voice-controlled universal remote revealed
"Samsung Electronics Co Ltd developed a remote featuring a voice recognition function and a touch pad. It will be offered as an accessory for a smart TV that the company will release in 2012. ... By speaking to the microphone embedded in the remote, it is possible to change channels or sound volume, input characters, etc."

Nice idea, maybe, though I bet they're not aiming at the senior market with that.

Last edited:

irwin

Aug 17, 2012
A problem with simpler remote controls is that features may be omitted that are needed. So for someone who is a bit deaf subtitles can be a help, but it doesn't seem as if any of the remotes mentioned allow subtitles to be turned on (and ideally turned on at initial setup and never altered again). Can anyone confirm if any of the remotes allow this?

nmintueo

Jun 28, 2011
UK
A problem with simpler remote controls is that features may be omitted that are needed. So for someone who is a bit deaf subtitles can be a help, but it doesn't seem as if any of the remotes mentioned allow subtitles to be turned on (and ideally turned on at initial setup and never altered again). Can anyone confirm if any of the remotes allow this?

True, with the simplest remotes, you can't turn the subtitles on or off. If you want subtitles "turned on at initial setup and never altered again", that's an advantage, because the user can't change the setting you selected initially.

Our mum likes having subtitles on; we simply leave the subtitles on all the time.

It depends on the TV or cable box or whatever equipment you're using whether subtitles will stay on permanently or whether you have to switch them on every time you turn the set on. I know with my own TV (Panasonic) and mum's (Sony) that if you turn subtitles on, they stay on.

Last edited:

longacre

Feb 17, 2008
London
You seem to have had a plethera of replies but just to say I bought the RNIB one for my mother in her care home several months ago and she has used it without any problems (apart from the times when she takes the TV cable out of the wall and then wonders why it doesnt work or unplugs the TV with the same result...!!). She seems to find the little red light on the TV unsettling hence unplugging it all the time. It was also pretty easy to set up as you just get it to 'read' the instructions from the original remote.