Picks / dementia progression

Deeessex

Jul 16, 2007
Essex
Hi All
Happy New Year and all that stuff.
I have had the Christmas period off from work which was good except the dreaded cold / cough bug kept us away from most.:mad:

I would like to ask about peoples experience of the progression of picks / dementia. My hubbie was diagnosed 18 months ago but problems evident 5 yrs ago initially. He is still only 58.
The most notable change in him has been his personality and he can be very agressive (verbally) to me particularly. I do manage most days as my tolerance level and ability to cut off is usually good. Of late I have noticed an extremely possessive state from him to have me near even resenting if I'm upstairs. Woe betide me if I go out and when I return to work next week I know he will be worse.

Is this something typical with Picks? what are peoples experiences?
I know it is perhaps scary for him to be on his own but i physically cant be there 24/7 and he somehow manges to make me feel extremely guilt ridden if I am not at his behest.
Any advise most welcome.
D x

TinaT

Sep 27, 2006
Costa Blanca Spain
My husband has LBD but has been behaving in the same way as your husband for many years. I am the focus of all his obssessive behaviour and couldn't leave the house without him for three years. I had to give my job up as he couldn't be left alone. His obsession with me is still very, very obvious to all who meet him even though he is now in an EMI nursing home.

xxTinaT

Deeessex

Jul 16, 2007
Essex
Hi Tina
Thanks for your reply
I begin to question his diagnosis as apart from some minor memory issues noticible only to those who are with him all the time, mostly this seems intact. He also has a lot of OCD behaviours like cleaning in a pARTICULAR WAY BUT THEN HE MOANS HE HAS TO DO IT ALL. oN THE OCCASSIONS I DO DO IT TO APPEASE HIM ITS NEVER DONE RIGHT AND HE ENDS UP DOING IT AGAIN. A no brainer win or loos it feels like Im wrong
D

TinaT

Sep 27, 2006
Costa Blanca Spain
It must be so very hard for you to have to deal with. I don't know anything about Pics Disease so can't help on the memory front. I have now learned to treat my husband's obsessive behaviour in a very off hand, matter of fact way but then I am no longer with him 24/7 as you are.

xxTinaT

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Hi Dee

Pick's is a form of fronto-temporal dementia (FTD), and I'm afraid personality change and behavioural problems are typical.

My husband suffers from a different form of FTD, in his case there is no personality change, but his language went very early.

He also had no memory loss for a long time.

This site gives more information,

http://www.bhoffcomp.com/coping/picks.html

and there is an AS factsheet,

http://www.alzheimers.org.uk/factsheet/404

It must be hard for you, especially as you are having to go back to work. Pick's does tend to attack younger people.

All the best,

makalu

Nov 2, 2008
West Sussex
Hi
my dad has Picks Disease, he is 60. For many years his behaviour has been irrational and aggressive. Probably for the last 6-8 years we have thought mid life crisis, arguing, road rage, shouting, screaming, smashing things up, totally irrational behaviour. Then 18 months ago he started showing other problems, memoryloss, lack of communication, depression, problems doing his job (he was an electrician). Got him to the Docs and they have done the various scans required (which took months and months) and have diagnosed Picks or FTLD. If it had been altzheimers it could have been picked up quicker, as more obvious signs would be showing. You can read my sad story that is progressing too fast. You need help, when my dad went into hospital he had to be section for he was too agressive and angry and sedation was the only option for his carers to control him. Me and Mum lived with this for years, and it was so hard to get help. Get onto your dr, get social services and get on the case as it took us months to get anywhere. Good luck and i will give you all the help and support I can as will this wonderful web site.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaryMc086