Trouble feeding mum

Cymbaline

Aug 23, 2007
My mum's had Alz for several years now and has gotten to what I suppose is the final stage of it. She's now sleeping an awful lot, to the extent that she's nearly comatose. Even when she's being dressed, she barely wakes up.

Feeding her has become a nightmare. All her food is liquidized and liquids are thickened. She keeps falling asleep when she's being fed and trying to get her to open her mouth is a job in itself. Does anyone have any tips or tricks that might help?

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
She keeps falling asleep when she's being fed and trying to get her to open her mouth is a job in itself
this is something I've observed in a number of people at Jan's home and, recently, it has started to happen with my Jan too.

I've not found a way I can manage it, but the care staff simply keep trying until a reasonable amount of food is taken, somehow. Jan has put weight on since the puree diet was started back in the summer.

I just can't do the feeding. I've dined with Jan in fine restaurants all over the place and I have a hard enough time coming to terms with pureed food, let alone trying to feed her when she can neither relish nor seemingly take in.

So I can't offer any advice other than to say this is not uncommon in late stage dementia.

HelenMG

May 1, 2008
Dublin, Ireland
My thoughts are with you both.
Dad's appetite has reduced recently though he still feeds himself well.
His reduced appetite recently alerts me to the fact that the illness is progressing:(.

But he still loves chocolate!

citybythesea

Mar 23, 2008
coast of texas
..Cymbaline..

my heart goes out to you. I have no advice on how to get your mother to eat more food. My advice to you know is to love your mother and be there and understand that as AZ takes its course these things happen and as heart wrenching as they are there is nothing you can do but be there for her. You already are doing everything you can.....on the otherhand perhaps when she is awake try sharing a large dessert with her...you will be surprised at how she will manage to eat more..(example of dessert..pudding, ice cream float-softened ice cream-or sorbets)

HUGS

Nancy

Cymbaline

Aug 23, 2007
Thanks everyone. I appreciate the advice. I just hope that we don't have to make any horrible decisions further down the line