Losing weight

janjan

Jan 27, 2006
Birmingham
Every time i go to see dad now he's crying, its so upsetting to see.
Mom and me sorted him out with all new cloths a couple of months ago, now when i go to see him, they look as if they belong to some one else, :(
His weight is dropping off him.
He still eats the same.
I know he's had enough, it breaks my heart to see.
Next time i go i think i will have to talk to the nurses to see if maybe there's something else that's causing this drastic change in him.

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
I think you're wise to get the GP to check to make sure there's nothing else going on. Does he have any other health issues? Diabetes and thyroid are 2 things that come to mind that can produce weight loss. However, if they don't find anything else wrong and he's eating well but still losing weight it may be another stage I'm afraid. Under certain circumstances in the later stages the body ceases to be able to metabolize nutrients.

Take care

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
Sorry to read that your father losing weight .

My mother has Diabetes, in the middle stages mum did lose a lot of weight , but then put some back on stayed stable for years

To day I put a skirt on her that drop of her, but where I am with her every day I do not notices it, if she losing weight unless like today in what happen to with her skirt .

Last edited:

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
Weight loss

I wish there was an answer.

After Lionel went into his wonderful care home he dropped 5 stone in weight. 13 stone down to 8stone.

This was despite eating very normally. His appitite is still very good. I can now see yet another drop in his body weight, however he will never be able to be weighed again on the scales in the home, as he cannot sit anymore.

I do not know what the answer is. I only know that weight and health bear no relationship these days in Lionel's life.

I hope things settle down with your dad.

janjan

Jan 27, 2006
Birmingham
I think you're wise to get the GP to check to make sure there's nothing else going on. Does he have any other health issues? Diabetes and thyroid are 2 things that come to mind that can produce weight loss. However, if they don't find anything else wrong and he's eating well but still losing weight it may be another stage I'm afraid. Under certain circumstances in the later stages the body ceases to be able to metabolize nutrients.

Take care

There is a link here with dad. After dad was diagnosed with AZ, he was also diagnosed with a slight under active thyroid.
About a year later my eldest son became a Type 1 Diabetic at 19. Also 2 months later, i had total thyroxine depletion, which took me months to recover from.
But as dad as under active and not over,if he got worse he would gain weight not loose weight i would have thought.
But i will voice my concerns on this to the nurses. Thanks. Jan x