Cold sore virus linked with Alzheimer’s disease

x-lauren-x

Mar 6, 2007
hiya
what do you think about this? i read the article the other day - im interested by it- we have had no expreince of cold sores/coldd sore remedies so i couldnt really comment much- but it would be amazing if something so simple is part of the cause and treatment :) xxxxx

KatherineW

Oct 2, 2007
London
Hi Diablo

Thanks for posting the link to the Times article; it is an interesting piece.

I thought it might be helpful to post the response to this research, from Alzheimer's Society's Director of Research, Dr Clive Ballard:

"Alzheimer's Society is fully committed to supporting research into gaining a better understanding of all forms of dementia. The Alzheimer's Society funded some of the initial exciting research in Manchester suggesting a link between herpes virus and Alzheimer's disease a decade ago. However, subsequent progress has has been disappointing, and although the new research provides some additional evidence supporting a link between the herpes virus and Alzheimer's disease there is considerable uncertainty around whether this is a promising avenue of research."

Thanks
Katherine

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
From my perspective - my mother has never had a cold sore that I'm aware of.

All these various studies are interesting, but I think the announcements are premature.

sheila _2

Aug 29, 2007
Nottingham
caafi2olay.co.uk
I also read that articual about cold sores, but to be truthful they have no idea what cause`s it, not enough was done years ago, instead everyone said ` oh they are going do lally`. One doctor i spoke to told my mother that about 20 years ago if mum had of gone to see her she would have said just about the same..` Oh its just old age`. Not enough people will openly talk about Alzheimers as an illness. Think where these scientist`s and others should start is by getting people to talk about Alzhemiers. I wholeheartedly agree with collecting boxes on the streets for Cancer and other related disesse`s also Red blue green and whatever else ribbon, BUT, where do you see on TV lets hold a fun raising for Alzheimers awareness, what program do you see on TV be it Soaps where they deal with Alzheimers?. If it was brought out into the open more then maybe more research could be done instead of all this speculation about cold sores.

whoops sorry me going off on one again xxxx
sheila

x-lauren-x

Mar 6, 2007
i totally agree with you :) they have covered a story previously on Neighbours - channel 5 but i didnt feel it was all that accurate, showing only minor problems which always ended with happy situations. Alos, Home and Away also on channel 5 have started a story about alzheimers, so far it has involved the man concerned deciding he wants to move into a home and his wife is going with him- i'm not sure how its going to progress but im intrigued :) I agree that we need more programs showing alzheiemers from all different perspectives :D
If you wanted to catch up on the storyline so far, its Home and Away channel 5 at 6pm-6.30pm.

Happy christmas! :)
xxxxxxxxxx