Christmas presents

Roma

Jan 15, 2008
UK
Hi All

It's my mother's first Christmas in her care home. She is coming to mine for the day although not too sure how it'll go.

My question is - I want to give a thank you Christmas present to the care staff. I imagine they'll have their fill of biscuits and chocolates but can't think of anything else - any ideas?

Also are there any other things I can get my mother apart from the usual clothes, slippers, chocolates etc.

Hope you all have a good Christmas and best wishes for the New Year.

Love Roma xx

viki70

Dec 21, 2008
london
hi roma, it's my mum's first christmas in a care home also and i'm finding it hard - esp as my mother in law is arriving today! re presents, my sister and i put together a hamper for all the staff with chocs, candles and bath products - that way the staff can all choose one or two things - we took it today and they really liked it. We bought lots of packs with candles, bath stuff etc, just opened them up and put them in the hamper so it didn't work out that expensive. Re a present for my mum - i struggled and in the end i bought her a fluffy dog that when you press it starts to dance, sing and light up! I felt that it was something she might respond to in someway - something sensory. She is i guess what they describe in 'late stage' so it was difficult.

Last edited:

Kayla

May 14, 2006
Kent
Dear Roma,
When my Mum was in the Nursing Home, we bought her seeds and bulbs to plant in pots. Supermarkets often have boxes with everything needed for the pot plant. Mum couldn't do it herself, but she enjoyed watching us preparing the plants.

She also appreciated books with photographs from the past, which could remind her of her childhood or young adult life. Mum had some soft toys which she liked talking to and she would talk about the toys for hours with her friend who used to sit with her.

Colouring books, art kits and board games or Dominoes might also be suitable for some people.

My Mum's face really lit up when we took the dogs to see her, so perhaps arranging some "pet therapy" might be good for those who like animals.

The staff might appreciate cakes or other treats, or perhaps a bouquet of flowers or an attractive table arrangement.

I hope you have a peaceful Christmas.

Kayla

JeanD

Sep 16, 2008
Lincolnshire
Dear Roma

We found that the home puts a spread of food on in a side room for the staff on duty over Christmas, so we gave them some money to upgrade the food and add some treats.

We also used to take some CD's of music suitable for older people's tastes for them to play for everyone.

Lanie

Aug 31, 2008
Surrey
Hi

It's also my Mums first Christmas in a care home. But I think the idea of some fluffy toy or activty things to do are a good idea, my Mum enjoys having her nails done so nail varnishes and manicure set are good for her, it's funny she has never had long nails before she's bitten them all her life since having dementia they have grown.

Not sure about the staff going with the traditional chocolates myself.

Hope you have a good christmas

Lanie

fredsnail

Dec 21, 2008
Does anyone have any suggestions for male residents?

My Grandfather is in a residential home for his first Christmas - insisted we got chocolates for the carers which we've done.

I've got some photo frames and albums for me to scan and enlarge some of his old photos and put them into, but other than that we're stumped.

He's 96 and doesn't realise he's hallucinating or that he's paraniod. He thinks that board games etc are a waste of time.

Any help gratefully received.

fs

Margaret W

Apr 28, 2007
North Derbyshire
I am much less imaginitive than everyone else, the staff are getting bottles of wine. As for mum, well she died in November, but she would have had new handbag and a bottle of sherry.

Love

Margaret

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
I have already given every member of staff at the home a present on Lionel's behalf.

What to give my man. As he cannot focus to see, is unable to hold anything, material things are out.

I shall give him something which I hope he holds dear still, my time and my love.

Cate

Jul 2, 2006
Newport, Gwent
I used to buy a fruit hamper, and tins of chocs for the staff.

Last year I bought mum another copy of her favourite film Gone With The Wind, because we wore out her old copy. I also bought her new cardigans and trousers, which wasn’t as easy as it sounds because they would have to be exactly like the old ones or she wouldn’t recognise them, so wouldn’t put them on. The biggest hit though with mum was a fluffy dressing gown, she just loved the feel of it, so soft to touch and warm.

I feel so heartbroken this year, because the only thing I can get my precious mum is a holly wreath.

I hope you all manage to have a very special Christmas with your loved ones.

Love
Cate xx

Mameeskye

Aug 9, 2007
NZ
Mum died at Easter. This year she needs nothing other than for the family to enjoy ourselves with our children. I know that this is what she would want to do.

My brother and I sent a cheque to the Home for the Residents Fund this year. The staff spend time and money raising funds to give the residents treats as the budget for this is so small. It gives them all a little less to do.

In years past we have provided chocolates and a donation to the staff night out.

Mum has had DVDs Cds, clothes that she wanted, dressing gowns, and last year a large soft dog that doubled as a cushion and a friend and a beanie neck pillow.

But I think that Connie has the right idea

I shall give him something which I hope he holds dear still, my time and my love.

Try and visit to hold a hand and share a cuppa. That is worth more than anything else.

Best Christmas Wishes to you all

Love

Mameeskye

sue38

Mar 6, 2007
Wigan, Lancs
It's my dad's first year in the Care Home this Christmas, and I have bought him a couple of cheap but nice jumpers (£9.50 from M&S). They have some lovely cashmere ones, but one session in the boil wash! :eek:

I have also bought him a Tommy Cooper DVD, which if he manages to come to my sister's on Christmas Day we can put it on if he is getting agitated. He loved Tommy Cooper. :D

I also spotted a book full of old photos of Wigan, which I have bought. He may be interested to look at them, maybe not.

As for the staff my mum has given a donation to the staff fund, for them to do as they want, not very imaginative, but we don't really know them well enough to know what they each would like. I like the idea of the hamper with candles and bath salts etc. May do that next year, if we have more time.

I was also thinking of a soft toy for my dad, but not sure how he would react. I like the idea that it would combine as pillow. It is his birthday in February, so may get that for his birthday.

At the moment all he needs is a dollop of Vick on his chest as he seems to have picked up a chest infection. :(

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
I copied Connie's idea of wine for each of the staff, with a few boxes of chocolates for those who didn't want wine. I wanted to do something special for them this year, as they have been so kind to me.

They have a good idea, though. Any gifts given to the staff in December are put away in a cupboard, and they have a lucky dip at Christmas, so everyone gets something.

As for John, like Sue I go for the cheap M&S sweaters, I've given up on the expensive ones. A selection of those, and a pile of new joggers from Matalan, two pairs for £8. At that price, it doesn't matter that they shrink in the wash.

Apart from that, he has me. What more could he want?:)

DianeB

May 29, 2008
nottinghamshire
I have brought Mum a fluffy dressing gown this year. Normally we would do both Mum and Dad a special hamper and then personal treats but I can't do that this year. I have brought Dad a new warm coat. Dad has sorted out the home on our behalf.
We are having Mum here for Christmas Dinner,but like others have said we don't know how Mum will cope, but fingers crossed with baby being here after dinner that should bring a sparkle to Mums face.
Sendings hugs to all that have lost their loved ones, I'm sure they must celebrate Christmas in heaven with one huge birthday party ;)

Margaret W

Apr 28, 2007
North Derbyshire
Just a thought, and not a criticism, but when we delivered our crates of wine to the home for the staff, the entire office was stuffed with bottles of wine, chocolates, biscuits etc. Made me think I should have been more imaginative.

Maybe vouchers for the local swimming pool? Theatre tickets.

I don't know, but booze, chocolate and biscuits are a bit boring, arent't they? Best I could do.

Margaret

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Well I did booze for staff (crate of wine) when my mother was in a home. It may not have been imaginative, but at least it was actually used.

I realize this is VERY late, but I inadvertently hit on something when my mother was still alive - I ordered a variety of things (baileys' irish cream, choccies, plants) all of which arrived on different days and from which she got a great deal of pleasure, simply because it was different days. Sort of 12 days of christmas idea, unintentionally.