Can anyone help me??

Valeria

Sep 25, 2008
Staffordshire
For the last two weeks, Peter has been very restless, and the last 7 days violent. He seems terribly mithered about something or other.
This morning he looked absolutely dreadful, yellow tinged and waxen. He has hardly been drinking or eating, and didn't have anything this morning. He wanted to go back to bed, so I carefully lay him back down and let him sleep.

His sleep was like little comas and at times just staring at the ceiling. So I decided to call the GP.
The doctor who came out looked at him and tried to take Peter's blood pressure etc. But Peter became very annoyed, he didn't want to be touched.

I asked the GP if Peter was dying, he said that hospitalization at this point would not be beneficial for Peter and has referred him to a hospice for Monday. This hospice is where people go who need help in their last days on this earth, pain relief, and making their last few days comfortable and so forth.

Late afternoon about 4.30pm. Peter wanted to get up and come into the lounge, he had a few sips of juice and ate a little bit of bread and butter. I managed to give him just a quarter of his medication, Chlorpromazine, and he returned back to bed about two hours after.

My question is....Would he be able to get up if he was dying?? Has anyone experienced anything like this before?? My nerves are on edge because I keep watching him.

BTW: He can only walk with myself and our son helping him.

I am somewhat confused here. Is he dying or has the GP only assumed he is??

Can anyone help with this please.

Love and Peace Anya x

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello Anya

Is it the GP who usually sees Peter or does he have a consultant for his dementia? If so, I would be more inclines to ask the consultant.

LIZ50

Mar 23, 2008
Hampshire
Dear Anya

Please be reassured that a hospice is not always a place where people go because they are at the end stage of life. Sometimes it is for them and their carer to have a little bit of respite and for the nursing staff to monitor the situation a little more closely to be able to give more reliable answers. Maybe this is what the doctor would like to be done for your Peter.
I know this is the situation at the hospice where Mum used to attend day centre. In fact, earlier this year they held an open forum day for carers and patients to be able to air their views and one of the most talked about points was that hospices very often have the wrong reputation and they are not just places where people go to die. Many of the carers at the meeting had relatives who had stayed in the hospice for days or weeks and then gone home again.
Indeed, if the hospice that your Peter is going to is anything like this hospice then you can rest assured that he will be given the best possible treatment and you will be treated with dignity and respect.
Love Liz xx

Margaret W

Apr 28, 2007
North Derbyshire
Dear Anya

Hospices don't just accommodate the dying, they also accommodate those whose medication needs regulating and who need to be observed at regular intervals, their medication adjusted, and hopefully can go home again.

So don't be too worried, Peter may well need to spend a couple of weeks there, and will come home again (with a new batch of tablets!).

Love

Margaret

Valeria

Sep 25, 2008
Staffordshire
Thank you all..

The thing which threw me, was the doctor saying, Peter wouldn't benefit from going into hospital now. Then following it up with, He didn't know how long it would take. This was before he even mentioned the hospice.

I would truly welcome Peter going into this hospice right now, it is a fabulous place, and Peter definitely needs professional care, more than I can give him.

Thank you once again.

Peace and Love...Anya x