Broken shower screen

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
OH informed me yesterday that the hinge at the bottom of the shower screen is broken. Everything is fine so long as you dont try and move it, but if you do it becomes obvious that it is only held on at the top. Ive no idea how it happened, but seeing as OH told me about it when usually he is oblivious to damage, I have my suspicions......

The thing that is worrying me, though, is that I have got a care agency to come in to help him shower starting in a couple of weeks time. I have a feeling that they will consider this dangerous and not come in until it is fixed. I will try and get the bathroom fitter to come in an mend it, but it might take a while (I guess he will have to order new parts and then book a time to fit it).

The thing is, should I cancel the carer until it is fixed, bearing in mind that I will probably lose my slot and it took long enough to find someone?

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Can you, or bathroom fitter, remove the screen and fix up a temporary plastic curtain?

The screen will be safety glass but will be heavy enough to cause an injury if it falls off.
Agree the agency will probably refuse to come if they consider the screen to be unsafe, also as you know about it you could be liable if anything did happen

Starting on a journey

Jul 9, 2019
Don’t cancel Persue a bathroom person it’s a pretty simple job but he may advise a new screen, or it could be taken off until the part comes (lots of people have showers without screens). If it’s taken ages to get carers you don’t want to Upset the arrangement. Good luck

Alex54

Oct 15, 2018
Newtown, Wales
should I cancel the carer until it is fixed,
Definitely no, do not cancel the care visits. The problem with caring with someone with Alzheimer's is that minor problems such as a broken shower screen, get blown out of all proportion.
Just remember what is really important, I am sure the carer can cope with whatever issues are presented.

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall
OH informed me yesterday that the hinge at the bottom of the shower screen is broken. Everything is fine so long as you dont try and move it, but if you do it becomes obvious that it is only held on at the top. Ive no idea how it happened, but seeing as OH told me about it when usually he is oblivious to damage, I have my suspicions......

The thing that is worrying me, though, is that I have got a care agency to come in to help him shower starting in a couple of weeks time. I have a feeling that they will consider this dangerous and not come in until it is fixed. I will try and get the bathroom fitter to come in an mend it, but it might take a while (I guess he will have to order new parts and then book a time to fit it).

The thing is, should I cancel the carer until it is fixed, bearing in mind that I will probably lose my slot and it took long enough to find someone?
No don’t cancel it. They probably won’t shower him until it’s fixed but he could have a strip wash. Not ideal I know but better than nothing.(Dad has a catheter and occasional accidents but cannot shower at home so he has a strip wash every day)How about a DIY man?Does it have to be a bathroom fitter??

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
@canary my shower screen only has a top hinge. The screen sits within a groove and swivels in that but suspended by the top hinge. Is it possible that is what you have?

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Agree the agency will probably refuse to come if they consider the screen to be unsafe, also as you know about it you could be liable if anything did happen
Yes I had a feeling that was the case
@marionq - it it definitely fixed with a hinge top and bottom - I can see the broken bit :(
After your encouragement @Starting on a journey , @Alex54 and @TNJJ I have contacted the care agency and yes, they will come and help him have a strip wash in the bathroom (good job we have a perching stool) until the screen is fixed.
Thank you everyone. It all began to feel so impossible today, but I now have a solution

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall
Yes I had a feeling that was the case
@marionq - it it definitely fixed with a hinge top and bottom - I can see the broken bit :(
After your encouragement @Starting on a journey , @Alex54 and @TNJJ I have contacted the care agency and yes, they will come and help him have a strip wash in the bathroom (good job we have a perching stool) until the screen is fixed.
Thank you everyone. It all began to feel so impossible today, but I now have a solution
Glad to have helped. You have helped me so I am glad to do something for you.

Donkeyshere

May 25, 2016
outside UK
I have just a bar across my shower top (did have screen which also broke) but managed to get plastic clips to sit on it and use it with a plastic curtain - they still slide across (with a bit of persuasion!) Been like this for 7 years - works fine - we will be moving out in a year or so, so wont bother till fix it in the meantime!

Sirena

Feb 27, 2018
@canary
Glad you've found a solution. If you post a photo someone might be able to suggest a quick/easy temporary fix?