Inappropriate undressing

PammyT

Oct 25, 2019
Mum has been diagnosed for around 9 years but symptomatic for 12. She has been in a care home for the past 3 years. She has been on memantine since October last year as she was constantly falling and screaming day and night. After a few weeks on the new drug she settled down nicely and started sleeping at night. She doesn’t know us and has to be fed a soft diet by carers.

Now we have a new behaviour, she’s started stripping off her clothes, throwing cot bumpers off the bed, throwing bedding and pillow out of bed. She’s fighting with the bedding constantly, she is never still. When she’s sitting in the communal lounge she’s trying to get up all the time and removes her chair alarm. Its distressing for family members when she strips naked while she’s on bed rest.

Has anyone else experienced this and how long can we expect this to go on?

Pam

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
Is she dressed in day clothes when on bedrest? ( are we talking siesta type rest or something more?) Maybe she thinks she shouldnt be clothed on or in the bed

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
This was something my mum did and the only way we could stop the stripping was to put her in clothing she couldn’t get out of. I sewed her pjs top up so she couldn’t undo the buttons and put buttons and button holes around the waist of her trousers and top. We never managed to stop her constantly moving. It was a very distressing time, exhausting to see, and went on for quite a while.

PammyT

Oct 25, 2019
Is she dressed in day clothes when on bedrest? ( are we talking siesta type rest or something more?) Maybe she thinks she shouldnt be clothed on or in the bed
It varies as to what she has on. Sometimes day clothes sometimes nightwear. She’s on bed rest after lunch and this is when it happens. So far it’s not happened while in the communal lounge.

PammyT

Oct 25, 2019
This was something my mum did and the only way we could stop the stripping was to put her in clothing she couldn’t get out of. I sewed her pjs top up so she couldn’t undo the buttons and put buttons and button holes around the waist of her trousers and top. We never managed to stop her constantly moving. It was a very distressing time, exhausting to see, and went on for quite a while.
It’s trousers, hip protectors and underwear that she takes off, and the speed she does it is amazing. We put them back on and she whips them off again. Her legs never stay still, she’s on the move constantly.

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
It’s trousers, hip protectors and underwear that she takes off, and the speed she does it is amazing. We put them back on and she whips them off again. Her legs never stay still, she’s on the move constantly.

My mum was exactly the same. She was bending and straightening her legs constantly. Extremely emaciated, no wonder with the amount of energy she was using added to having little interest in food. Mum was constantly pulling at her clothing and she too could undress in seconds.

I wonder if a onesie worn back to front would stop her? This phase did eventually pass but nothing we said or did could convince mum to keep her clothes on.

Weasell

Oct 21, 2019
Also a very long shot. Is there any way the medication or her changing condition could be causing skin irritation she cannot communicate? Could she be given a anti histamine tablet for a few days just in case it makes her more comfortable?