Sad news

NIKNOK

Aug 27, 2018
It is with a heavy heart that I announce that my beautiful wife Linda passed away yesterday afternoon, after a 6 year dementia journey.

If you've read my numerous posts/contributions, you may recall that back in August, after getting a UTI whilst in respite for 2 weeks, she went from hospital to full time care in a nursing home in late September.

A few weeks before Christmas, she had another UTI (spending 3 days in hospital again) which really seemed to knock her down. They started having a job to get her to take food (not opening her mouth, then probs swallowing).

Last Monday, they called the GP as her heart rate dropped and he prescribed end of life meds. She didn't need these until Friday but we had to watch her deteriorate further until yesterday, her breathing had become rapid and shallow. She kept fighting, bless her, until mid afternoon and it was very harrowing for me and the family to witness, but we were all glad we were with her.

She is at peace now - its just so unfair that she had to go through any of this at such a young age (69 a couple of weeks ago). This dreadful disease has robbed us both of our retirement years we had planned and looked forward to.

I am both relieved and heartbroken.

RIP my lovely.

Many thanks to TP and members for being there these last 6 years.

I’m so sorry for the loss of your lovely wife, and to read that she had a tough time before her passing. I lost my darling dad on Christmas Day and like you and your family we had to watch the deterioration which is so harrowing. I understand the mixed feelings of heart break and relief - I wish your family well during the coming days.

DesperateofDevon

Jul 7, 2019
It is with a heavy heart that I announce that my beautiful wife Linda passed away yesterday afternoon, after a 6 year dementia journey.

If you've read my numerous posts/contributions, you may recall that back in August, after getting a UTI whilst in respite for 2 weeks, she went from hospital to full time care in a nursing home in late September.

A few weeks before Christmas, she had another UTI (spending 3 days in hospital again) which really seemed to knock her down. They started having a job to get her to take food (not opening her mouth, then probs swallowing).

Last Monday, they called the GP as her heart rate dropped and he prescribed end of life meds. She didn't need these until Friday but we had to watch her deteriorate further until yesterday, her breathing had become rapid and shallow. She kept fighting, bless her, until mid afternoon and it was very harrowing for me and the family to witness, but we were all glad we were with her.

She is at peace now - its just so unfair that she had to go through any of this at such a young age (69 a couple of weeks ago). This dreadful disease has robbed us both of our retirement years we had planned and looked forward to.

RIP my lovely.

Sending love & light to you & family
I’m sorry for your loss but pleased your lovely wife’s dementia journey has ended.
X

TAP

Jul 23, 2015
So sorry to hear the news of your wife. I am very rarely on this forum but nip in and out so apologies that I do not know the full story of your struggle but can only imagine as I have been dealing with Dad since 2015 and he is now at the late stage/severe stage of mixed alz with VD.
My sincere condolences to you and family xx

Demi Jones

Jun 14, 2019

RIP my lovely.

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
So sorry @Philbo Your wife is at peace now and yes I understand the heartbreak and relief at the same time. Horrible disease.

I wish you and your family well at this sad time.

myss

Jan 14, 2018
@Philbo, I'm so sorry to hear that your lovely wife has passed. My dad passed away in the same week and I can empathise with the pain you may be feeling. All my best to you at this sad time x

AliceA

May 27, 2016
Dear Philbo, I am so sorry to hear you sad news, you have inspire so many of us on here, I trust you will find the love and support on here when you need it. X

Philbo

Feb 28, 2017
Kent
Once again, thanks sincerely for all your lovely replies. I guess the 6+ years have helped prepare me for this time, but it still hurts.

I have to say, though, that it has made me determined that this dreadful disease may have taken my lovely wife, but it wont take me.

Despite the grief I am going through just now, I feel positive that I will look forward to life going forward - whatever that may bring.

My thoughts are with all of you who are still dealing with the disease and those who have lost their loved ones recently, or in the past.

It's a "club" none of us ever wanted to join.

Regards
Phil

White Rose

Nov 4, 2018
Once again, thanks sincerely for all your lovely replies. I guess the 6+ years have helped prepare me for this time, but it still hurts.

I have to say, though, that it has made me determined that this dreadful disease may have taken my lovely wife, but it wont take me.

Despite the grief I am going through just now, I feel positive that I will look forward to life going forward - whatever that may bring.

My thoughts are with all of you who are still dealing with the disease and those who have lost their loved ones recently, or in the past.

Regards
Phil
I think I have missed your posts @Philbo but my condolences on the death of your lovely wife - only good is that she won't have to suffer anymore. It's good to see that you are able to feel a sense of positivity and I wish you all the best.

Karen22

Nov 3, 2012
I'm so sorry for your loss. My mum stopped eating and drinking because of the Alzheimer's. It was terrible to see but the end, when it did come, was relatively peaceful. Look after yourself.

Karen

LizzieM

May 6, 2019

Regards
Phil

Oh Philbo, what can I say? I can’t think of words that would even touch it... ((((((( huge hug ))))))) xx

Philbo

Feb 28, 2017
Kent
I hope you are ok lovely
X

Thanks again for all of your lovely messages.

I seem to be coping okay and plodding through sorting out arrangements for her funeral (not to mention the dreaded banks, DWP, HMRC pensions..........:rolleyes:

My sons have been a great help and we are going to the florist tomorrow, plus the celebrant visiting the house in the same afternoon. It's been hard and emotional pulling together some notes for her eulogy and we've still to sort out photos. We will be having some photos in the order of service and a montage of happy memory pics at the wake.

Her siblings and our sons have all given suggestions and critique (which I asked for) for my notes, which has been useful although I have tried to avoid the inevitable "death by a thousand committees".:eek:

I am not (if I'm honest) looking forward to the service, but her wake (at our local pub who've been my saviour these last 6 years) will be a happy affair, celebrating her life, which I AM looking forward too.

I will let you all know how it goes.
Phil