What was the point of the scan!

CherryTT4

Dec 5, 2019
Wiltshire
Had the scan in Bath and then back to the doctors. The scan only proved my husband brain was consistent with that of a 73 year old. Bit confused thought it was supposed to prove something other than the fact he doesn't have a tumour. Because of some of the symptoms the doc thinks Lewy Body. However we have not been referred to the local Memory Clinic for diagnosis and treatment. But there will be a delay cos he needs an ECG first. From the experiences of 2 people I know their impressions of the Memory Clinic was less than favourable. Do any of you have any advice on LB dementia and/or Memory Clinics? I read the NHS site on LB I'm more looking for personal experiences on how to handle situations and how it progresses. Thank you xxx

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
My understanding is the scan is to rule out anything rather than show anything

I think vascular dementia will show up but many dementias don't.

Juliematch

Jun 24, 2017
We must be in the same area as my dad is in RUH at the moment.He has Lewy body dementia diagnosis 3 years ago. Our experience with the memory clinic was,we saw different people in 3 different clinics ( and places)had a scan and discussed medication. Dad had an ECG as some of the medication can affect the heart.Then dad was seen by a consultant geriatrician.She put dad on medication.She was based at RUH but had clinics in other towns. She was absolutely lovely .I could ring her and discuss dads behaviour and she always rang me back if I left a message.He has now been referred to the mental health team as his dementia has got worse. If I can help you with any experiences I have had or you post on here, there is always someone that can give you advice.Without TP I’m not sure I could have cared for dad as long as I did.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Bit confused thought it was supposed to prove something other than the fact he doesn't have a tumour.
Its looking to see if there are any areas of the brain that have atrophied (died). Vascular problems are usually quite obvious. Depending on the pattern of atrophy the doctor can give an educated, trained, experienced guess as to what type of dementia it is....

CherryTT4

Dec 5, 2019
Wiltshire
We must be in the same area as my dad is in RUH at the moment.He has Lewy body dementia diagnosis 3 years ago. Our experience with the memory clinic was,we saw different people in 3 different clinics ( and places)had a scan and discussed medication. Dad had an ECG as some of the medication can affect the heart.Then dad was seen by a consultant geriatrician.She put dad on medication.She was based at RUH but had clinics in other towns. She was absolutely lovely .I could ring her and discuss dads behaviour and she always rang me back if I left a message.He has now been referred to the mental health team as his dementia has got worse. If I can help you with any experiences I have had or you post on here, there is always someone that can give you advice.Without TP I’m not sure I could have cared for dad as long as I did.
Thank you for your reply. What sort of things made they say it was LBD and what sort of things seem to be getting worse? For me at the moment its the delirium and hallucinations - especially in the afternoon/evening.

Juliematch

Jun 24, 2017
Hi CherryTT4. Dads started with a hand tremor and forgetting little things( putting teeth in, turning tv off) He lived with me after my mum passed away so I noticed small incidents but didn’t think it was dementia.Thought it was Parkinson’s due to his hand shake.He had very bad nights with acting out his dreams, shouting and remembering them in the morning,as if they were real.He wouldn’t see the dr so I rang them and he was booked in for a well man check and then a memory test. Dad has COPD and when he had chest infections it made him twice as bad. Delirium is so horrid .After 1 hospital visit he came back home with delirium which lasted nearly 3 months.He didn’t know me during that time but when he came round from it , he knew me again.Hallucinations are not nice but I go along with them.You learn to just agree and start talking about something else.The afternoon and evenings can be the worse.Its called sundowning and lots of people with dementia are at their worse. Dads dementia is now at the middle stage I think. There is information on the Alzheimers web site that you can look at and TP is great when you need some advice or even someone to talk to. I’m here if you have any other questions.

Batsue

Nov 4, 2014
Scotland
@CherryTT4

My mum had her assessment at the memory clinic and was then sent for an MRI scan, she had an ECG after diagnosis before they would prescribe Donepezil as it can have an effect on heart rate.