Suitable Books to read aloud to sufferers of Alzheimer's & Dementia

SBS

Jan 24, 2018
Hi
Can anyone recommend good suitable books that I can read aloud to my Dad (96 yrs old) and other elderly residents in the care home?
I do not want books that mention Alzheimer's or dementia.
Many thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Sharon

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
What kind of books did he enjoy reading before dementia?

You may find that he likes books from the past where he can more easily associate himself with the story, ask him about authors, you may find he says somebody like Arthur Ransome.

Alfiefern

May 14, 2018
I think Michael Morpurgo books are all great. Although for children they are very interesting and not too long.
I read all of them to an elderly lady and she really enjoyed them.

Good luck

SBS

Jan 24, 2018
What kind of books did he enjoy reading before dementia?

You may find that he likes books from the past where he can more easily associate himself with the story, ask him about authors, you may find he says somebody like Arthur Ransome.
Thank you your reply, he wasn't a big reader before dementia, but does enjoy old stories, I will certainly look at Arthur Ransome.

SBS

Jan 24, 2018
I think Michael Morpurgo books are all great. Although for children they are very interesting and not too long.
I read all of them to an elderly lady and she really enjoyed them.

Good luck
Thanks so much, I'll check out Michael Morpurgo books.

Dimpsy

Sep 2, 2019
The older people (one lady 104 and going strong) I deliver library books to all enjoy good old Agatha (Christie) - no sex, no swearing and you always find out 'who dunnit' at the end, and generally stories written in the times that my old folks lived through.

Helly68

Mar 12, 2018
I also read from the Phillip Pullman "His Dark Materials" series to Mummy, bridges well the gap between adult and child reading. Mummy now cannot concentrate long enough for me to read to her but she can read simple sentences in large print, on a good day. We read children's books (not ideal but she does enjoy them) that we read when I was little, or poems which are short and she learned by rote so does still retain.
Audio books might also work.