Mum has Dementia

Pinky22

Oct 11, 2017
Where do I start, My mum 85 has now has alzheimers for more than 6 years, she is slowly declining.My concern is for my Dad who at 88 is her main carer, he has recently started worrying about my mum if he was to do before her, he is admaent he will never put her in a home, how can i help him see sense and get people in now to help them.He keeps saying as long as your mother says no there is nothing i can do.

Donkeyshere

May 25, 2016
outside UK
There was a discussion on TP that brought things home to me when I was not wanting help or considering a home for the MIL (PWD) but in the end there comes a time that you need to consider a PWD's needs, not their wants. I know that my MIL does not want to go into a home but my OH and I have gone ahead anyway - its what we all need, not what she wants and to remember this has helped and I am going to bear this in mind in a few weeks when we take her (which I am not looking forward to!)

I'm assuming your dad does not have any help yet such as carers etc? I'm not from the UK so there will be others on TP that can suggest how to get some help for him, but even though your mum might say no, at the end of the day its to help your dad and your mum and get some help for them if you can. Sometimes its hard but you have to put your foot down and tell them its to help them all. Hope you sort something.