My mother has vascular dementia

Angeltwo

Jan 19, 2020
My mother was diagnosed with vascular dementia 20 months ago she is now in a nursing home double incontinent she can’t walk her she doesn’t have an apertite and we have to remind her to swollow when she drinks out of a straw. She is very confused some days but the last week she has slept most of the day . Does this mean she is coming to the end of her life ?

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello @Angeltwo. Welcome to Dementia Talking Point.

If your mother is not at the end of life stage of dementia it certainly sounds as if the is in the later stages.

Have you discussed this with the care home?

Angeltwo

Jan 19, 2020
The dr was called again today she is sleeping in between being agitated . She has stopped eating and drinking and has now got patches on for her pain. After loosing my father 10 weeks ago it all feels so surreal but mum is very poorly and we have been told she is at the end of her life so we are making sure she is comfortable and sitting with her .

Angeltwo

Jan 19, 2020
The dr was called again today she is sleeping in between being agitated . She has stopped eating and drinking and has now got patches on for her pain. After loosing my father 10 weeks ago it all feels so surreal but mum is very poorly and we have been told she is at the end of her life so we are making sure she is comfortable and sitting with her .