Nursing home support

Lily10

Jan 9, 2020
Hi All
I’m new to this site and thank anyone reading.

my mom is in a nursing home with middle/late stage Alzheimer’s.

The home appear very good with her. Her behaviour can be very challenging. I have noticed lately that her vocabulary seems to be disappearing. She talks on a completely different plane to everyone anyway, but she is having difficulty finding words and seems to be losing that too now. Has anyone else noticed this?

The mental health team are sending in a nurse tmrw to the home to train the staff/give support to the carers on how best to handle mom. I phoned to ask why - they said it’s support for the care home and mom to help care in the best way for her.

Has anyone else had this happen?

Thank you for reading this all x x

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
Welcome to DTP @Lily10

I noticed my dad losing his words too. I think this is common.

It's good that the home are being pro-active in arranging training from the mental health team. I know my dad's home had regular training sessions on how to deal with the many challenges in dementia care. I don't think it's anything to worry about.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello @Lily10 Welcome to Dementia Talking Point.

Sadly many people with dementia have word finding difficulties as the dementia progresses. Just because your mum seems to be losing her vocabulary doesn`t mean she has lost her understanding of what is said to her.

My husband had word finding difficulties and struggled to say what he meant. He still understood most of what I said as long as I kept it simple.

Your mum`s care home sounds excellent in making sure the staff are up to speed with dementia care.

Lily10

Jan 9, 2020
Welcome to DTP @Lily10

I noticed my dad losing his words too. I think this is common.

It's good that the home are being pro-active in arranging training from the mental health team. I know my dad's home had regular training sessions on how to deal with the many challenges in dementia care. I don't think it's anything to worry about.
Thank you for your reply. It’s comforting knowing others have experienced or are experiencing the same
Thanks very much