The Adventures of Poppet & Other Stories

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
No
Hope the shoulder pain eases to allow sleep and aid recovery . Whilst you are awake I can imagine pooch is soundo. :D

Im trying gentle movements to see how much I can stand @Woohoo

Pooch just snuggles up and goes off to la la land, he does try to nuzzle the sling, he knows something isn’t right

Meanwgike I’m doing a very slow one handed clear up. It might take three times as long, but at least I’m getting it sorted a bit each day ... in between walking Pooch and reading !!

oh, it’s a hard life I’m living ...

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
I messaged asking about a small well behaved dog, even sent a photo to show how small he is, but they still said no @Bunpoots

At least I can be fairly sure if finding a lodger, if I go that route, if I agree to pets ... so it might work in my favour

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
Ive read quite a few articles about landlords and pets recently. It seems that a number have ha problems with damage etc and now most refuse all pets @reedysue

My intention is to get house hunting properly in the next month or two. Even if I buy and leave it alone, I will have a base and I’m still on the ladder. That’s the plan, anyway

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
Hi @Kikki21

Lots of the ads said “no pets”, ones that said nothing I messaged and asked. Most came back with an immediate “no”

The park homes round here are mostly young people. £20k for a two bed place is a fifth of the cost of a one bed flat down here, so it’s a viable option.

Go around a few sites, see if you can chat with anyone already living there to get a feel for the real place, not the sales pitch. I really liked the vans themselves, just not the sites I looked at. They were more holiday park than park homes though

I am taking it easy with the shoulder, I don’t want to keep waking up in the early hours in pain

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
Ive just been rabbiting on, @jugglingmum , I wouldn’t stress over missing anything lol. Your life is full on as usual I guess.

The first X-Ray shows a bit of bone sticking up from the end of the arm bone. The second appointment, they said that could be a bit of bone, calcification that is floating about. Yuk

They didn’t X-Ray it again, just prodded it. My confidence in them was not improved by the paperwork hic up ...

There was another Miss Sam to be seen, reception said when called in to check they wanted me and not the other Miss Sam

I went in and the doctor looked puzzled. He was looking at X-ray for a knee, but I was obviously there about a shoulder

Turns out, he had my front sheet and her back sheet stapled together. Great fun finding the right X-ray to review and checking my birth date ... he only realised the error when I gave my age as ten years higher than he was expecting

No wonder I’ve no confidence in them

love.dad.but..

Jan 16, 2014
Kent
I can sympathise with your shoulder, recently diagnosed with osteoarthritis particulary painful shoulder joint especially at night. I can't take ibuprofen as it affects my kidneys so the gel is also out for me but it may help you @Sam Luvit. The GP has prescribed alternative cream Movelat which hasn't made any difference, but you can buy over the counter. A microwaveable heated wheat and lavender pad may be worth trying, that has made a bit of difference.

Bikerbeth

Feb 11, 2019
Bedford
There was another Miss Sam to be seen, reception said when called in to check they wanted me and not the other Miss Sam

I went in and the doctor looked puzzled. He was looking at X-ray for a knee, but I was obviously there about a shoulder

No wonder I’ve no confidence in them

A long time ago when I was 9 I stood on a very long nail. When I went back for a check up at the hospital there was one very confused consultant as he could not work out how my wrist worked so well. Same scenario as you - 2 of us with same name and 1 yr apart. I think Mum would have been concerned about competence- me I was ‘destroyed’ to find out someone else had my name

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
Finding OA in my shoulders a few years back was just another place it’s decided to appear @love.dad.but.. I’m heartily sick of the blooming thing ... my doctor laughs when I say I don’t visit much as she keeps finding more of it lol

I used to take ibuprofen when my back was bad, but it has a few side effects, so I try to stay off it and other stuff. Oily fish is supposed to be good. Turmeric is supposed to be another natural med.

Alternating heat with cold is the new best thing from OT. Something about contracting the muscles and giving relief. It does help, although a quick squirt with a freeze spray is easier than messing about with freezer packs lol

Have you tried a “v” pillow. It takes the pressure off your shoulders. It’s helped a bit ...but not enough this week

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
...I was ‘destroyed’ to find out someone else had my name

I was 11 the first tine I met someone with “my” name. We hated each other on introduction and actually ended up fighting about “stealing” each other’s names. We ended up good friends. But I can totally understand your reaction @Bikerbeth

It was the look on his face as he told me I’d given the wrong age .. pity his maths was so poor .. he’d got my year of birth right

love.dad.but..

Jan 16, 2014
Kent
Finding OA in my shoulders a few years back was just another place it’s decided to appear @love.dad.but.. I’m heartily sick of the blooming thing ... my doctor laughs when I say I don’t visit much as she keeps finding more of it lol

I used to take ibuprofen when my back was bad, but it has a few side effects, so I try to stay off it and other stuff. Oily fish is supposed to be good. Turmeric is supposed to be another natural med.

Alternating heat with cold is the new best thing from OT. Something about contracting the muscles and giving relief. It does help, although a quick squirt with a freeze spray is easier than messing about with freezer packs lol

Have you tried a “v” pillow. It takes the pressure off your shoulders. It’s helped a bit ...but not enough this week
Yes...and have tried all manner of pillow arrangements...usually many times during the night! Doing as you suggest and exercises, waiting for a referral, 4 months waiting list but doubt much can be suggested. Have it in other places. It's a blooming nuisance isn't it...no fun getting older! Hope your shoulder becomes more comfortable quickly.

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
Lol @love.dad.but.. mine started in my teens ... it’s just spread as I’ve “grown up”.
The doctor suggested the “v” pillow as it would take pressure off the shoulder lying on my back, I’ve found I sort of snuggle into it on my good side with a small cushion under my bad hand to raise it slightly helps :rolleyes:

Tje damp doesn’t help just now. At least no rain due for a few days

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
particulary painful shoulder joint especially at night.
Yes...and have tried all manner of pillow arrangements

Have you tried, with two pillows, bringing the upper pillow half way down the lower pillow to make a square, thus supporting the shoulders.

It`s difficult to explain @love.dad.but.. but I find if my neck and shoulders are well supported it`s much more comfortable. I`m not saying I sleep in this position all night but it`s a good start.

love.dad.but..

Jan 16, 2014
Kent
Have you tried, with two pillows, bringing the upper pillow half way down the lower pillow to make a square, thus supporting the shoulders.

It`s difficult to explain @love.dad.but.. but I find if my neck and shoulders are well supported it`s much more comfortable. I`m not saying I sleep in this position all night but it`s a good start.
Yes I have tried that as well, part of my problem as well I think is that I don't sleep well anyway and with restless legs toss and turn...ah well...plod on! On the plus side the exercises I have done on my foot every day since taking myself to physio 18 mths ago have kept that away ...so far!

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
Isn’t it strange how we change, whether it’s getting older and maybe wiser or just life events change our view

I’ve never been that comfortable walking alone at night where it’s really dark. Always very aware of sounds and listening out fir any dangers

Yet here I am. Living in a field. No street lights. I need a torch to make sure I don’t trip over the guy ropes on the awning, yet as soon as there is enough light, off goes the torch and I happily stroll up the hill to the shower block surrounded by total silence

There is such a feeling of peace.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Im sorry to hear about your shoulder. I hope it mends quickly. I discovered when I sprained my wrist many years ago how many things are almost impossible to do one handed!

There is such a feeling of peace.
Thats worth more than anything. Im glad its working out for you.

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
You are so right @canary .. pulling on socks is harder than I thought, as for tying my hair up ... this morning I found that by bending to touch my toes, my hair falls towards the floor and I’m able to just move my arm enough to turn the scrunchi!!

I really hope Poppet11 will be mine soon ... I suspect I will be looking for driveways in the summer months if I’ve not found my own “bricks n mortar” to hide from holidaying school kids eek

Kikki21

Feb 27, 2016
East Midlands
It sounds as though you are just about managing ok @Sam Luvit - I’m doing lots of research on park homes & indeed found some people live on them & love it. Obviously we have to have a park home site that will accept pets & the one we like the most does accept pets. It would definitely be a lifestyle change but I lived in a bungalow since I was 6 mths old with my parents till I left for Uni so I’m ok with not having stairs!

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
Hi @Kikki21

More than just managing lol. I’d say 95% loving it. This week having a sofa to stretch out on, or being able to throw stuff in the washing machine without carrying it up a hill would have been easier, but being away from the noise of neighbours is worth that imho

Pets don’t seem to be an issue on park homes, possibly because you own the home. This one has lots of “bins”, far more than around the ordinary streets. There are strict rules on leads, areas you can’t use and of course, cleaning up after your pets, so in some ways, better

I would say that you need to be organised and tidy. While the layout uses every inch of space, it’s not like a house where you can add a shelf or move a wardrobe ... the layout stays the same and the size of cupboards may mean you need to rethink what goes on hangers and what you really need

Some people have caravans, with awnings, which double the space, one person has a large sofa in the awning for the summer time.

For me it’s about getting away from everything, the freedom of it, I feel like I’ve been here for ever, when it’s only really been less than two months. That’s how much better it’s helped me feel

I am a little “worried” about what it will he like in the summer, with people taking holidays, turning up for a week or two with children, who may not be too bothered about keeping them under control!! It’s why I really want Poppet 11 ... then I can drive off for a few nights ... even if I go park on the seafront or down backstreet to get some peace.

I will have to see what happens

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
I’m absolutely gutted. Poppet 11 is looking like a non starter

When I went to view her, I said I wanted a Habitation Check (it’s like a survey on everything in the habitation part, so gas, electrics, damp, to show it’s safe to live in), also the MOT didn’t have that long left and he offered to put a new one on

It’s taken two weeks to get the Hap Check done, she needs a little work, but we agreed to drop the price to cover that.

All good

Then he started getting funny about putting a new MOT on, saying he was already down on the price due to me insisting on the Hab Check (which I paid for), but I insisted

I’ve not heard anything, so I decided to look on the DVLA site.

Not only has she failed, but the same advisories are showing from the last MOT, so he didn’t get anything fixed from seven months ago. Some of which will be expensive.

I’m somewhere between really cross at him and really disappointed about getting things sorted

Lynmax

Nov 1, 2016
Gosh, it's a good job you checked his MOT details as the last thing you want to buy is a dud that needs a lot of expensive work. I bet he thought he could sweet talk a woman into buying it!