Carers allowance, moan

Cobber

Sep 13, 2016
Just a little moan. In January I am finally getting my state pension. Today letter came saying I was still entitled to carers allowance BUT would receive no money as pension is same amount. However if I stop looking after her for 35 hours to let them know. Where else would you work for 35 hours with no pay!
I knew this was going to happen but it seems so stupid to me. Rant over.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
I have had to sacrifice a well paid career that I loved in order to care for my mum and then for my OH. And in return I get the pittance that is Carers Allowance which is supposed to compensate me for not being able to work. If OH is in hospital or respite (or I am ill and not able to care for him) for longer than 28 days then I lose my carers allowance. If OH has to move into a care home then I will be expected to look for work (and I wont be able to go back to my previous career) at a time when I will still have to be dealing with lots of things - just because someone is in a care home doesnt mean that you dont have to do anything more for them.

I for one cant wait until I reach 66yrs old and can swap this unreliable joke of a payment for the security of a state pension.

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
24/7 it works out at approximately 39p an hour but you do get your stamp paid towards your pension.

My stamps are up to date so it's irrelevant for me but hey ho it's straight in my pocket and I have little to spend it on anyway.

Cazzita

May 12, 2018
It's a disgusting state of affairs and let's hope the petition to change this is heard and acted upon - it's only fair.

TracyS

Sep 30, 2019
I've also wondered how anyone manages to claim carer's allowance since the cut-off point - £123 a week - is lower than the state pension. I applied for pension credits for my dad the other day and he was awarded £4 a week, but I was told to call another number to ask for the carer's component of the pension credit, which could be £24 a week (I haven't done this yet), so maybe that's something you could explore too. It's all a bit of a minefield, with benefits, services etc so disjointed. I wonder how people who aren't so well equipped to do their research and deal with admin manage to find their way through it.

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
There was a recent post on here by someone who's parent had died and carers allowance had been stopped as expected. They then tried to sign on for jobseekers to look for work only to be told they would not be entitled to anything as they had not worked at the same time as being a carer.

I have another 3 years before I get a pension and have been unable to work for 2 years now so I have lost out big time.

Cazzita

May 12, 2018
The more I read on this, the more angry I feel. How could this country treat carers so terribly? It's just awful and I wonder if the politicians even realise what's going on.

Wakky

Jan 5, 2020
Just a little moan. In January I am finally getting my state pension. Today letter came saying I was still entitled to carers allowance BUT would receive no money as pension is same amount. However if I stop looking after her for 35 hours to let them know. Where else would you work for 35 hours with no pay!
I knew this was going to happen but it seems so stupid to me. Rant over.
Well, what a minefield this is! My husband has only recently been diagnosed as being in the early stages of AD. When the CPN did a home visit, she told me that lateron, when he needed more care that I would be able to claim carer's allowance. She said it is not means-tested, but is taxable. I receive an NHS pension and state pension, but work one day per week. I currently pay tax at the standard rate. Is she wrong then? If someone receives State Pension can they not claim? She also said he could claim attendance allowance when he needs more care, is this correct or not?? Bad enough that people have to deal with their loved one having AD without trying to navigate the system. Good for you having a moan x

Wakky

Jan 5, 2020

jackthelad19199

Jan 16, 2020
Thank you for that information, Shedrech
its sad when many of us are trapped in this bennift trap sadly with this new universal credit it can only get worse even a genius would struggle to fill in the forms alone the system needs changing and fast though without been political i can t see it maybe if senior govement minsters loved ones had to deal with this evil condition they might be more sympattic to peoples cause

Am59

Jan 18, 2020
I'm in the same boat 're carer's allowance. When I reach 66 (not for 5 years) and get the state pension the carer's allowance will cease. I've been told you can't have both. It seems unfair to me when I see friend's receiving the state pension and they don't provide any care. Surely I'm saving the state money by caring for my hubby at home?

kindred

Apr 8, 2018
I'm in the same boat 're carer's allowance. When I reach 66 (not for 5 years) and get the state pension the carer's allowance will cease. I've been told you can't have both. It seems unfair to me when I see friend's receiving the state pension and they don't provide any care. Surely I'm saving the state money by caring for my hubby at home?
well, this is pretty outrageous, all sympathy. The state pension is YOURS

kindred

Apr 8, 2018
well, this is pretty outrageous, all sympathy. The state pension is YOURS
sorry this went before I had finished ( a sign of how cross it makes me!). The state pension is yours and should not even be factored in this. This is so mean minded. All sympathy. Do you have the energy to take it up with your MP?
warmest, Kindred.

Vitesse

Oct 26, 2016
It does seem that anyone on a state pension can’t claim carer’s allowance. I know the carers Allowance is a very low sum for the work involved, but spare a thought for those of us who are on a state pension and have to do all this for the love of it!! I suppose the upside is that I can’t go out anywhere to spend the money anyway!! What Allowance does a prisoner get? I suppose I should be on a par with them!!!

Starting on a journey

Jul 9, 2019
It is really unfair to people in receipt of pension. My SIL and I do the same job, she cares for my MIL and I care for my mum. I get the money she doesn’t. I wonder if the powers that be assumed that people in their 60s and 70s would not be carers?

kindred

Apr 8, 2018
It is really unfair to people in receipt of pension. My SIL and I do the same job, she cares for my MIL and I care for my mum. I get the money she doesn’t. I wonder if the powers that be assumed that people in their 60s and 70s would not be carers?
or thought it would be good to keep us occupied as we would have time on our hands … Kindred.

Wakky

Jan 5, 2020
Hi @Wakky
When your husband has a certain level of needs, he/you can apply for Attendance Allowance, which is not means tested
https://www.gov.uk/attendance-allowance

When that is in place you can apply for carer's allowance
https://www.gov.uk/carers-allowance/eligibility

You can also then apply for a disregard of your husband's Council Tax so you will be assessed at single occupier rate
I have been checking. When my husband is bad, he can apply for attendance allowance. As I receive state pension, at an amount which is more than carers' allowance, I cannot have carer's allowance. Thank you for your advice.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ArthurPOA