Does it pass and if so how long does it take?

CherryTT4

Dec 5, 2019
Wiltshire
The issue of sundowner/my husband not recognising me will it change? I am finding it very difficult to handle. One lie will lead to another and a lot of the time he does know its me. He's cross tonight cos he believes I've been out. Other than the woman who replaces me he thinks others have been here. He says I'm trying to drive him mad. Will he know me less and less and finally not know me at all? Monday can often be a bad day. I still think it maybe to do with medication he only takes Saturday and Sunday methotrexate and folic. He had first brain scan on Saturday. Tried to get a doctors appointment for a fortnight time and have been given one for 26 Feb. I've said I'm not happy about this and the receptionist is going to ask the doc. Doubt I'll hear anything until they have the scan.

Last edited:

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I`m afraid I don`t think anyone can tell you how long sundowning will last. With us it came regularly for a long time and then seemed to fade away.

It`s really the most heartbreaking of behaviours and I feel for you.

Pete1

Jul 16, 2019
Hi @CherryTT4, I really sympathize with you, I found it one of the most difficult things to deal with as you can't apply logic to the situation at all. From what I have read on the forum it varies greatly from person to person. I found with my Mum it became more frequent and she became more agitated when she was living 'independently' after a few weeks of moving to residential care it tailed off significantly. In my Mum's case it did change as the dementia progressed. I do know how wretched it made me feel, but in the morning with Mum it was totally forgotten. I feel for you. Stay strong and take care of yourself - I hope you have some support around you.