So many options, please advise... tech for security and safety

Lisselle

Jan 21, 2020
My mum lives in a small 2 bed bungalow but for safety and security reasons we now need to install some technology. I have been recommended:
  • Hive
  • Victure
  • Neo smart
  • Deri-cam
  • Ez-viz
  • Red-alert
  • Canary care
  • Blink
  • Arlo
I'm so confused! I'm making arrangements for wifi broadband as a starting point, I think we need a camera in each room (5 max) and maybe a heat sensor (she leaves the gas cooker on) and something for the door. Me and my sister want to be able to monitor via oour iPhones - please help ...

Weasell

Oct 21, 2019
Here is my list
YI This is a small cheap camera from Amazon. No subscription charge. I have an free app. I have the camera trained on the kettle. I can see a live view, or playback the last time she went to the kettle. I think this will be cheaper and more basic than you require.
I have a ring doorbell that shows me who is at the door and allows me to talk to them.
I have an Alexa show that can be programmed to say “there is someone at the door “ or something similar,
( only with the ring). Alexa show is also good for reminders, and video calls from family.
I have a Memrabel2. This looks like an IPad on the wall it shows clearly the time day date and if it is morning etc, it is very similar to a day clock except it gives reminders.
I have another day clock in the kitchen at exactly the place the medication is kept (medication pre boxed into am,pm, night cardboard containers by the pharmacy)
I have a guardcam outside it is an outside light that photographs all callers to the bungalow and has an optional voice alert the property is being approached.
I have a small metal sign from eBay warning all callers there is cctv inside and outside.
A carelink pendant, to be pressed in the event of a fall etc.
I can’t advise you on the systems above, but think I have heard of hive being good. I hope the above information isn’t too random for you, but you are obviously are taking safety seriously I chucked it in just in case any of it helps.

nellbelles

Volunteer Host
Nov 6, 2008
leicester
Hello @Lisselle and a warm welcome to DTP
I can only comment on the Hive I use it to control my heating it’s easy to use but you may need help to connect into the heating system

Lisselle

Jan 21, 2020
Thank you for your swift reply. The heating is fine, I have that on a timer. Its the surveillance and safety aspect I need to address. I notice from scouring the internet that there used to be a Hive Care but this doesn't exist anymore :-(

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
Just my opinion but I think, for the sake of privacy, surveillance cameras should be only used in the kitchen, living rooms and hall. Bedrooms and bathroom are private. If a fall happens then the person won’t be seen in the other areas if they can’t get up.

Lisselle

Jan 21, 2020
YI - I'm going to take a look at this - thank you.

I have a ring doorbell that shows me who is at the door and allows me to talk to them - This sounds good - I think I'll get one for myself too!

I have another day clock in the kitchen... - mum has a dementia clock positioned right in front of where she sits but she forgets to look at it ;-0; sister lives next-door-but-one, so sorts her meds.

I have a guardcam outside it is an outside light that photographs all callers to the bungalow and has an optional voice alert the property is being approached - definitely going to look in to this!

I have a small metal sign from eBay warning all callers there is cctv inside and outsid - great idea!

A carelink pendant, to be pressed in the event of a fall etc.- can't get mum to wear anything like this unfortunately, she'd take it off and hide it.

Thank you for taking the time to reply, you have been very helpful.

Lisselle

Jan 21, 2020
Just my opinion but I think, for the sake of privacy, surveillance cameras should be only used in the kitchen, living rooms and hall. Bedrooms and bathroom are private. If a fall happens then the person won’t be seen in the other areas if they can’t get up.

I am fully with you on this, or I was before mum got worse. There will come a time soon when we will probably need to employ 'personal care' and there are so many stories of abuse its making me sway towards a camera in each room.

Weasell

Oct 21, 2019
YI - I'm going to take a look at this - thank you.

I have a ring doorbell that shows me who is at the door and allows me to talk to them - This sounds good - I think I'll get one for myself too!

I have another day clock in the kitchen... - mum has a dementia clock positioned right in front of where she sits but she forgets to look at it ;-0; sister lives next-door-but-one, so sorts her meds.

I have a guardcam outside it is an outside light that photographs all callers to the bungalow and has an optional voice alert the property is being approached - definitely going to look in to this!

I have a small metal sign from eBay warning all callers there is cctv inside and outsid - great idea!

A carelink pendant, to be pressed in the event of a fall etc.- can't get mum to wear anything like this unfortunately, she'd take it off and hide it.

Thank you for taking the time to reply, you have been very helpful.
My pleasure.
Another thing I forgot to mention.I installed call screening, free with talk talk. Much to my total amazement it has worked.It also reduces sales calls to practically zero. Dementia sufferers are so vulnerable to telephone fraud. Mum has to press zero to accept an unknown number and I have witnessed her do it!

Weasell

Oct 21, 2019
My pleasure.
Another thing I forgot to mention.I installed call screening, free with talk talk. Much to my total amazement it has worked.It also reduces sales calls to practically zero. Dementia sufferers are so vulnerable to telephone fraud. Mum has to press zero to accept an unknown number and I have witnessed her do it!
I meant she has to press number 1. Most phone providers have their own version of this service.

Lisselle

Jan 21, 2020
My pleasure.
We have had a similar incident this week. My sister walked in on my mum having a conversation with a man who she said was a 'friend from school, who was coming to see her', she quickly put the phone down when she saw my sister and got very angry. I went over and dialled 1471 but it only showed my number from my call to her earlier in the day, so I'm puzzled to say the least. However, we have changed her number, made her ex-directory and activated the call baring service. Its terrifying how vulnerable people can be.

rmabo

May 19, 2019
@Lisselle , some great advice in this thread, I'll just add this: cameras, like all things technological, are a trade off: price, ease of use/deployment and quality. Something's got to give. For example the best semi-pro security cameras in the world are unify g4 pros connected to their security gateway that doubles up as an NVR, but it's very expensive and probably very difficult to setup for a non-tech user. There are professional setups that are even better, with thermal cameras rocking 16x optical zoom, but that's 5k per camera and it takes a very good technician to deploy them smartly.

On the opposite end of that you have things like arlo, nest etc, which are super easy to install , fairly cheap but the quality is nowhere near the 4k zero latency stream you get from the unify gear.

You have to use what's relevant to your needs and fits within your budget.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Caroline124