Despair

BSN

Oct 1, 2017
We have had several days over 40 degrees and what with the smoke from the bush fires - yes we are in Australia- but my OH refuses to drink. He asks for coffee but won't drink it, he refuses water cordial or juice and can't even be bothered with beer which used to be a favourite. I am very concerned about dehydration and urinary infections but he is stubborn and will often refuse to cooperate with anything I suggest. What to othere people do in similar circumstance? I have tried ice blocks etc and hydrolite but he just sits there holding the cup and then puts it down when I move away.
Someone suggested jelly to me recently and it seems to have helped my PWD.

DesperateofDevon

Jul 7, 2019
We have had several days over 40 degrees and what with the smoke from the bush fires - yes we are in Australia- but my OH refuses to drink. He asks for coffee but won't drink it, he refuses water cordial or juice and can't even be bothered with beer which used to be a favourite. I am very concerned about dehydration and urinary infections but he is stubborn and will often refuse to cooperate with anything I suggest. What to othere people do in similar circumstance? I have tried ice blocks etc and hydrolite but he just sits there holding the cup and then puts it down when I move away.

maybe put a small amount of liquid in a clear glass & within reach. Visual prompt without words. Leave it there & then an hour an a half later remove it & try another drink half an hour later.
This prompted Dad gently & it works with Mum.
But sadly it’s common in dementia.

Avis

Nov 2, 2019
Thank you everyone for your suggestions. I have tried leaving the water within reach but have yet to try the jelly. I will give that a go and see if he will take some liquid that way.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
Hi @Avis
I used to leave carton drinks out for my dad with the straw already pressed in, for some reason he took to these

And definitely think of the liquid value of foods... I put fruit in jelly or had trifle and blancmange and those milk deserts popular in the 70s, and gave seconds readily... smoothies and milkshakes... custard on every pudding... lots of gravy and stews and soups... juicy fruits which I cut into bite size so easy to pick up and eat... tinned fruit with the juice and custard, cream, ice cream, frozen yogurt... ice lollies

jenniferjean

Apr 2, 2016
Basingstoke, Hampshire
I used to leave carton drinks out for my dad with the straw already pressed in, for some reason he took to these
Thanks for that. I think that will help get my husband to drink more. He used to drink those a few years ago. He hasn't asked for anything like that for a long time but if I get some and, as you say, leave them out with the straw in it might help. I'll give that a try.

Avis

Nov 2, 2019
Hi @Avis

And definitely think of the liquid value of foods... I put fruit in jelly or had trifle and blancmange and those milk deserts popular in the 70s, and gave seconds readily... smoothies and milkshakes... custard on every pudding... lots of gravy and stews and soups... juicy fruits which I cut into bite size so easy to pick up and eat... tinned fruit with the juice and custard, cream, ice cream, frozen yogurt... ice lollies
Thank you. These are very positive and useful suggestions.