has anyone tried light therapy?

TracyS

Sep 30, 2019
Has anyone tried infra-red Gamma light therapy for Alzheimer's? There's been some interesting press about research being done in Canada which has shown some positive results with targeted light. The company is called VieLight and they already have a Gamma machine on sale and available for home use, which we are thinking of ordering. Has anyone else tried this? There's info and research papers on their website. The studies already completed are quite small scale but there's a larger one under way which looks promising - there was a piece in the Daily Telegraph recently if anyone is interested.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
What results would be expected from light therapy @TracyS ?

Our consultant suggested we keep the home as light as possible especially during the dark winter months but it didn`t really make any difference.

What benefit would a person with dementia hope yo get from light therapy? Would it calm them or make them feel more contented?

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
I have no idea if these things are beneficial or not but I can't help wondering how a person with dementia will react to the having that equipment stuck on the head and I think the nose gadget could be a real problem.

I found it hard in only a quick search to find any information from proper research institutions. There seemed to be a lot of stuff promoting the product but will hunt a bit further.

Lizbuff

Apr 9, 2019
I've read about this too & would be really keen for any extra info or thoughts....

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
it seems they are only just beginning a clinical trial with larger numbers, slightly over 200
https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT03484143
so it's still early days
I don't think I would have spent money on the what's currently avaiable to the general public ... even their own website makes clear they are not selling what is being used in the trials

TracyS

Sep 30, 2019
This is targeted infra-red light that penetrates the skull and can help with blood flow and brain activity. There have been very small scale trials on the devices available for sale and there's a larger trial going on with a slightly different device. They're made by a Canadian company called Vielight and the device I'm looking at is called Neuro Gamma. It costs US$1,700 but there is an 80% money-back guarantee if you're not satisfied after 6 months, so it seems worth the gamble and I think we're going to give it a go. I will report back! There are a few reviews on Amazon, all of which are very positive, but again it's very small numbers. But I feel if something causes no harm it's worth a try. Although I agree that it's not very appealing having things stuck up the nose so I imagine my mum might kick up a fuss! I've been asking the company questions and they tell me that the only difference between the Neuro RX Gamma and the Neuro Gamma is the Neuro RX Gamma will be manufactured in a manner that’s compliant with medical device standards and is subject to success the pivotal clinical trial. However, the parameters are exactly the same and they are deemed safe by the FDA. They’re also currently being registered as a class 2 medical device.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jprollet