Find out how your local NHS manages dementia care

Linsey

Nov 23, 2008
North London
Hi Margarita,

I just checked and mine was 92.8%.

I'll look more thoroughly at that site later on when I am not at work!
Best Wishes,Linsey

gigi

Nov 16, 2007
East Midlands
Interesting Maggie...thanks.

Our GP also scored 100%...the PCT overall was 98.6%.

Let's not forget that these figures are achieved simply by ticking boxes in a surgery though....;)

And it's possible that even though the box is ticked...the care may fall short.

love gigi xx

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
What also good

It tell you all the services your area offers for people with dementia , also how it compare nationally.

JPG1

Account Closed
Jul 16, 2008
Interesting ....

I've just entered every single postcode that I've lived in, ever since postcodes were invented, and each one of them came up with a score of 100% for each GP practice, and each local authority scored from 92-97%. OK,I may have moved a fair few times, from S to N to NW to W to S to SE and .... then further afield.

I am not convinced yet that this strange website has much to offer. It is scientifically questionable, if not mathematically to boot.

Very strange. Shall look further into it all.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I have entered my present postcode and my last three postcodes which take me back 25 years. All score 100%.
Either I have been very lucky or some big boxes have been ticked.

One surgery which scored 100% neglected to monitor my husband`s diabetes effectively. On hearing this, he GP we registered with when we moved from the area was horrified, and as near as possible said there had been negligence.
This negligence could have been a factor in my husband`s development of dementia.

JPG1

Account Closed
Jul 16, 2008
Grannie G

Same experience here.

And it was also the inability of the visiting GP to the care home to bother even to test for diabetes-related problems resulting in admission to hospital in a diabetic coma. Merely prescribed a general purpose antibiotic for a suspected UTI. With the ultimate outcome for any diabetic - admission to hospital in a diabetic coma = it contributed to death.

That same GP practice is in receipt of a very large 'retainer fee' to visit the 90 residents of said care home, ostensibly once a week .. but no records kept; GP turns up when convenient for the GP practice. I had no idea that any GP practice which takes on the responsibility for any care home, is paid a whacking retainer fee by the care-home-provider.

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
I did put Kent in and did notice that it did say
memory assessment services data not available.

also about hospital/treatment services.

They does not seem to be a lot of services for people with dementia , or the carers even in my area

beech mount

Sep 1, 2008
Manchester
My pratice also score 100% even though they will not see my wife
if her illness is related to AZ.!!!
What a load of FICTION.
John.

JPG1

Account Closed
Jul 16, 2008
By pure coincidence ...

... so have I, just emailed my MP!

We shall see. And compare notes.

JPG1

Account Closed
Jul 16, 2008
It's Got To Be A First! A Reply Within An Hour From MP

Reply received from MP, timed at 17.15 today, saying that he will look into it.

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
I have just E Mailed my M.P.about all the above,lets see what he has to say!

That is good . please let us know what your MP says ,another person to email is Alan Johnson MP
Secretary of State for Health.

I hope it make people realize that the bad services they are getting from their doctor for the person they care for with a dementia , that you can complain about the doctor and challenge the doctor over there attitude Don't forget we now have

National Dementia Strategy

http://www.dh.gov.uk/en/SocialCare/...lderpeople/NationalDementiaStrategy/index.htm

I can not undertand why it says
There are currently no treatments that can cure or stop the progression of most forms of dementia. However, drugs and other treatments can improve symptoms in some people, and you and your family can get the help and support you need to live with dementia
.http://www.nhs.uk/Pathways/dementia/Pages/Landing.aspx

Then in another page it says

NICE has also recommended that Aricept, Exelon and Reminyl should be available on NHS prescription for anyone with a diagnosis of Alzheimer's disease who could benefit from the drug treatment. See our page on NICE guidance for more information

Ebixa can temporarily slow down the progression of symptoms in people in the middle and later stages of the disease. There is also a suggestion that Ebixa may slow down the disease process itself.

Medical researchers are currently investigating other medical treatments, including antioxidants, brain stem cell therapy and a vaccination to stop the build-up of plaques in the brain (a hallmark of Alzheimer's disease).

Also we can't even get it on the NHS .

and the link broken when your go click NICE guidance

Last edited:

lesmisralbles

Account Closed
Nov 23, 2007
I think they want far to much information

And are not giving us much back. Just my oppinion.
Barb X

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
well last night I emailed NICE saying that the link from the NHS is broken . I left them the link in the Email to the NHS site that I left on this thread in my first post .

I have not got anything back

but to day on that same site

its now saying this

Glutamate blockers

Memantine (brand name Ebixa) inhibits glutamate (a chemical that can result in damage to nerve cells).

Used to treat: memory and nerve cell damage.

* More about Glutamate blockers

Considering this treatment
It's recommended that memantine should only be used to treat moderate or severe Alzheimer's disease in clinical trials, because the evidence to date does not support its widespread use.
What does NICE say about this treatment?

and what I quote above post 12 about Ebixa is gone :confused: and in its place is what I have quote in this post above.

what a Coincidence or what!!

Last edited:

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
Just check my email yes they did get back to me.

Dear Margaret

Thank you for contacting the National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence (NICE).

I’m sorry that you encountered problems accessing information on the NICE website.

The website was down over the weekend, but the problems have now been fixed and I can confirm that the website is now up and running.

The NICE guidance on Dementia can be accessed via the following link: http://www.nice.org.uk/CG42

Kind regards,

Natalie

Natalie Whelan

Communications Executive (Enquiry Handling)

National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breazkrissy